TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fishing Boat Artur

Go down 
+4
Roadrunner
jaydee
davidjt
barriew
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 11:01 pm

Out of such frustration will come a superb model Barrie.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Qualified success yesterday Smile  I managed to get some Satin White, but no Matt White  Crying or Very sad  I also picked up another spray can of white primer, so this morning I finished priming the hull, and when this had dried in our remarkably warm weather, I marked the water line and gave the top of the hull one coat of satin white. Whilst waiting for the primer to harden, I painted the railings on the upper deck - again in satin white.

I also fixed the steering servo and made up the linkage. This required a slot cutting in the rear cabin, and I need to make a cover for the tiller. I am beginning to think that this model is not really designed for RC  Rolling Eyes  As designed the tiller linkage would be visible on the rear deck. Looking at the rigging, next job after painting, this does not allow access to the two hatches  Shocked Some modification will be required I think  Laughing 

Barrie

Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 101_0418 Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 101_0419

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 8:28 pm

You modify away Barrie.  It's looking good so far.

Cheers

Ken

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 4:55 am

Indeed it's looking really good Barrie  Thumbup  2thumbsup  Thumbup  2thumbsup  Thumbup  2thumbsup  Thumbup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Yep very nice

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks guys!

Yesterday I managed to put two coats on the underside. I sometimes use spay can for this, but find that its then difficult to touch up if needed, so the whole of this hull has been brushed, apart from the primer. The white is Satin so I may not use any varnish on this hull.

Now onto fixing masts and rigging, as well as the other deck items.

Barrie

Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 101_0420

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Almost there Very Happy  All the deck furniture installed and most of the rigging completed. I also finally remembered to cut the freeing ports  Surprised 
I have had to modify the rigging to allow me to remove the rear cabin structure, and also to get better access to the forward hatch and therefore the battery. I should complete it tomorrow and give it a trial in the bath to see how much lead it needs.

I have cut the vinyl for the name - not Artur. All will be revealed tomorrow  Wink 

Barrie

Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 101_0421

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 5:58 pm

I didn't quite finish today - watched the Trooping this morning which swallowed modelling time  Laughing 

I did complete the rigging, although some needs to be redone  Mad  I also attached the names and sorted out the ballast. I had quite some difficulty getting the ballast - lead shot - into the hull where I wanted it. In the end I sealed up some wide heat-shrink tubing and filled that. I just managed to slot it alongside the battery.

I think I am going to paint a line round the hull just below the freeing ports. The photos show a wood strip there, and there is some thin mahogany in the kit, but I think a painted line would be easier to get right. I have some striping masking tape which can be repositioned until I get the line correcT.

Barrie

Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 101_0422

You are not seeing double - there is a shadow on the wall making the rigging look out of focus  Crying or Very sad 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:40 am

A great job you've done Barrie A lovely model.  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Barrie, have you considered sticking on Tamiya line tape. It comes in various widths and the effect is quite stunning.  I use it sometimes and have had no trouble with it.

Cheers

ken

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks Kenny, I did consider that, but I didn't have any of the right colour, whereas I did have a role of pin striping tape Smile  However, in the end I decided to go with real wood - not the supplied veneer, but a thicker piece which I stained with some teak stain,.

The model is now ready for the lake  Razz  It needs a switch in the battery lead, but I don't have a suitable one at the moment, so will live with plugging and unplugging until I find what I'm looking for.

Barrie

Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 101_0423 Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 101_0424

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 1:47 pm

hi barrie,
very nice what a difference a simple strip makes, it puts the finishing touch to a nice looking boat  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup . dare I say whats next  lol!  lol! .

I have had to stop no room to store any more boats, wife says get rid of some then I can build some more.

david

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Not sure what's next. I need to clean up my workshop for one thing  Laughing  I am taking a couple of boats to a local auction this week. I also need to move some on  Sad 

I have bought a plan of a pilot boat on eBay - not got it yet. This will be a scratch build if its suitable when I see the plan. If I manage to get a good price from the auction, then I'll look around at the available kits.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 pm

hi barrie, ?

can I ask if you put a price on your boats at auction, or do you let them find there own price. i worry that mine would sell for £10 or some thing like that. I have never been to auction but keep saying I will go to see what things go for.

are you byeing the plan from marine modelling pilot boat jan 2004

david

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 5:30 pm

David,

Still not sure about the auction and its rules. They do seem to get good prices for boats. I may put a reserve on to protect them, but on the other hand, I do want them out of the way. Smile The plan is an old Vic Smeed plan from Model Maker. Its Balsa plank on frame. The Ebay item number is 271523314078

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Well, the maiden voyage was a success Laughing Cool Very Happy  Something of a novelty for me.  Rolling Eyes  The rudder needs a little more throw, but other than that all went well. Has more than enough speed on 6 volts, so quite pleased. I will try to take a photo on its next outing - there was a lot of floating weed and other rubbish today so didn't want to leave it to its own devices whilst I took a photo.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
sax_yang
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: ATUR from china!   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 9:50 pm

This is a small ATUR fishing boat from China. I didn't build it. I used the same set of materials. It will be similar to this one.
http://www.4hmodel.com/forum.php?mod=attachment&aid=NDczOTk4fGE3OWViYzI1fDE1OTgyMTUzNTB8NzQ5MHw3NjgwMA%3D%3D&noupdate=yes&nothumb=yes
Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 10:29 am

Nice work barrie,
And an enjoyable read.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur   Fishing Boat Artur - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fishing Boat Artur
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2