TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch

Go down 
+6
davidjt
LUQA
jaydee
Tug--Kenny
intrepid75
troutrunner
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 3:07 pm

barriew wrote:
Its rather strange with the big gap there. I don't think you will need any ventilation for the motor. I use those motors in larger hulls and they don't really get warm without any special ventilation.

Barrie

Thanks Barrie, I have not a clue how hot things get.

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
LUQA
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
LUQA

PostSubject: Fast Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi Paul
           Yes, or you could put an angled piece of ply with a window cut in it. That would make it fully weather proof, and keep the look of a lot of broads cruisers. Hope this is some help.
      Regards David

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 11:02 am

Yes I think that would be the simplest thing to do David but I might make it so it removable and a pram hood type of canopy could then be an option later.

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 11:20 am

Masked up the red to paint the white on the sides and top deck yesterday, this went fairly good, got it in one coat but I can always put more paint on later. Removed the masking tape and it left loads of bits behind, moral is, don't buy cheap masking tape from the cheap shops, you know what they say "If it looks to good to be true it probably is".

The Masking.
New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 SAM_1732_zpsbbab3739

Finished and under my antique "Pifco" heat lamp keeping warm Thumbup
New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 SAM_1734_zpse772b87e

The results.
New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 SAM_1735_zps55b314f6

New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 SAM_1736_zpsa9593b9b

Just the font cabin roof to paint green today, but I can fit all the workings back in the boat today New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 Klompen1

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 4:59 pm

I have today finished installing the workings and tested them, all seems OK.

To connect the rudder and servo I used an old push bike spoke, quite hard stuff and tough to bend but sorted it 2thumbsup

It's very busy in the middle compartment, perhaps on reflection I should have spread things about a bit more...........
New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 SAM_1744_zps55e0dbb0

New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 SAM_1745_zps48853cea

Still have the servo bed to paint, but it won't stop it floating Laughing
New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 SAM_1746_zps64665c27

New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 SAM_1747_zpsa9c6f323

Not 100% happy with the paintwork but it'll do for now, also have two small jobs to do before testing.
New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 SAM_1748_zps31baefaf

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Looking very good 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Are you aware that the switch on the ESC probably doesn't totally isolate the battery? They usually just switch off the receiver supply. I can't be certain about your EC, but that is what I have found. You either need a switch in the battery leads, or unplug the battery.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks Barrie, I had no idea that might be the case, best put a switch in just to be safe Thumbup  I did put a fuse in as suggested earlier, which I also thought a good idea. Belt and braces comes to mind 2thumbsup

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 7:01 pm

You could always check if it does totally isolate by removing the fuse and replacing it with a multi-meter set to amps. If it shows any current flowing with the switch off, then a switch in the battery lead would be a good idea, or pull the fuse, to save getting to the lake with a flat battery Laughing Laughing

Barrie

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 11:42 pm

I've cut the centre wire on my brushless ESC's and use a separate battery, if the Rx is turned off  the brushless motors on my air boats sing so I installed a switch in the main battery wires.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 11:53 pm

I've pulled the fuse for now, I will fit a switch at some point soon 2thumbsup

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 pm

Thumbup
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 11:00 pm

hi,

the paint job looks great 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup , are you ready for her maiden voyage yet our waiting till spring now. hope you have enjoyed the build I have. are you planning on some deck fittings.

david

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 11:16 pm

davidjt wrote:
hi,

the paint job looks great 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup , are you ready for her maiden voyage yet our waiting till spring now. hope you have enjoyed the build I have. are you planning on some deck fittings.

david

Hi David, funny how the camera can make things look better than they actually are, I'm happy with it for now but I think I will add a few bits and improve the paint job in time. I also have the other two to finish and am planning the build the "Duchess of Fife" Paddle steamer, I have the plans for this already 2thumbsup

I'm hoping Robert my middle lad will be over at the weekend as I am off work with a bad back and can't bend down easily to put her in the water. There is a lake quarter of a mile away, as long as there are no fishermen there I'll be ok to use it.

Thanks for your comment and yes I have enjoyed the build. it's been handy having all you folk on here to guide an encourage me 2thumbsup

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 7:05 am

troutrunner wrote:
I've pulled the fuse for now, I will fit a switch at some point soon 2thumbsup

You may be OK without a switch or pulling the fuse. I did a check with one of my brushless set ups yesterday, and it doesn't draw any current when switched off with the switch on the ESC. I was basing my advice on the mTroniks ESCs for brushed motors, where you definitely need a switch in the battery line.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks Barrie, I'll get Richard my eldest lad to bring his multimeter at the weekend Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi Troutrunner,

No you have not drifted back in time LOL!!

It must feel strange receiving a comment 7 years latter.
Great work.
She looks very nice indeed.
Well done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch   New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New begginings, Fast Patrol Launch
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2