TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206

Go down 
+5
Footski
davidjt
Roadrunner
intrepid75
barriew
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2622
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Looking good Barrie 2thumbsup

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 pm

really is looking very nice..........look forward to seeing her on the water.

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 6:43 am

nhp651 wrote:
really is looking very nice..........look forward to seeing her on the water.

neil.

Should be this weekend Very Happy 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 6:04 pm

A bit more progress today, but its too hot for much work Razz  Mainly filling and painting, although the cabin roof is underway. The floor and rear of the cockpit are made and have had one coat of paint, as have the cabin and cockpit sides. Because there is a lot of glazing in the wheelhouse and, as per the original model, I don't intend to fit it out, I have painted the rear bulkhead.

Grandson and weather permitting, tomorrow I make the cabin roof fit and arrange some means of securing it, and also try to build the wheelhouse after glazing it Wink .

Barrie

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2623
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 pm

It's beginning to look like a Seaplane tender now. Cabin roof finished and painted. Wheelhouse assembled - just the roof and I want to see if it needs ballast before I fix it. Numbers and window frames fitted - waiting for more vinyl so I can make the roundels. Some fittings to make and I have ordered a life ring from Marks Model Bits.
Tomorrow I have a CT Scan in Cambridge so should be able to get a couple of pots of paint from Hobbycraft so I can finish painting. Its looking good for a first sail on Sunday Very Happy 

Barrie

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2624 Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2625
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 pm

that is looking SUPERB, barrie.absolutely superb.
neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 pm

The postman brought my vinyl this morning so I cut and fitted the roundels. I also made and fitted handrails to the cabin roof. This afternoon I managed to buy two pots of paint so tomorrow I can complete the painting and fitting the electronics. It really needs a bath test before Sunday - hopefully I will be able to manage that as well.

Photos tomorrow Wink 

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 4:45 am

Looking real good Barrie.2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Well, after a long day and a couple of setbacks its ready for a test sail Sunday. Razz 

The cabin roof has been painted as has the deck. The hull has had two coats of Humbrol Satincote to seal in the vinyl and leave a uniform finish. The deck will be left matt, and the cabin and wheelhouse were painted with satin paint.

The flotation test showed up the first problem - a leak Sad  - not sure where it was coming in as I didn't realise until I had taken it back to the workshop and drained the bath Crying or Very sad  Its not the rudder tube, and I don't think its the propshaft. I mixed a load of P38 and slapped it around the P40 I used to seal the propshaft entry and the joint between the bottom ply and the keel. Will have to see if that's fixed it Rolling Eyes 

I then fitted the electrics back in ready for a test and realised I hadn't greased the shaft Rolling Eyes  After re-installing everything, I decided to test run the motor, except it wouldn't go Crying or Very sad  Before I started the build I tested the motor/ESC combination as I wasn't too sure about the ESC, and everything was fine. I took an ESC from another boat and that worked Thumbup 

Before fixing the wheelhouse roof, I installed the ballast, fixing it with glue, then glued on the roof and fitted the cut-water and handrails. These still need painting. Next week I will make the remaining fittings.

Barrie

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2626 Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2627Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2628
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Well, it floats and moves, but not very fast Sad  It needs either a different prop (35mm currently) or bigger battery. I will try both next weekend. The good news is it was almost completely dry. Smile 

No pictures - it wasn't in the water long enough Rolling Eyes 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Construction is now complete (almost). Ready for more testing on Sunday with a  larger battery, new ESC and possibly different prop. I just have to fix the wheelhouse roof which I removed to extract some ballast. For some reason the super glue wouldn't stick this afternoon - maybe suffering from the heat like the rest of us. Rolling Eyes 

I now have to think about my next project. I was going to make another Richard Webb Huntsman, but think first of all I will try to fix up the one I have. I also want to rationalise the electrics in my boats - particularly the connectors used. I seem to have two sizes of bullet connectors, some Tamiya , some Deans and some XT. It makes it complicated to move things around Shocked 

Then I have my eye on two kits - a new Deans mini trawler or an Aeronaut day cruiser. These will have to wait until after my holiday - I shall be going to Ron Dean's Open day in September so could come away with a kit from there Wink 

Barrie

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2629 Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2630Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Imgp2710
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:21 pm

you made a lovely job of that Barrie.....if she goes as well as she looks you'll have a real winner there. enjoy it whilst we are still having this great weather.
neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 6:09 am

Thanks Neil. I think I achieved what I set out to do. Just need to get it sailing well. It should go well, the original was made from regular ply so this is much lighter.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 7:10 am

hi,

looks great barrie well done:Thumbup: Thumbup always nice to finish a model and see on the water 

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 7:18 am

Thanks David - at the moment I seem to be finishing them many too quickly Smile  - I need to slow down.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:16 pm

snap barrie that is my problem, what was going to be a slow build I have finished . I don't think I dare build another yet as my garage is up to the roof at one end off boats.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 12:50 pm

I finally got the wheelhouse roof on - had to use Araldite Shocked  Changed the ESC but not the prop and off to the lake again. She sailed very well until the coupling came lose Crying or Very sad  Its still taking in water somewhere - it may be the prop shaft, but it was filled with teflon grease. More investigation required Wink 
I took another boat with me and the propshaft coupling came lose on that on as well - must try harder Rolling Eyes 
A couple of on the water shots - not very good - taken with my phone.

Barrie

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 2013-010 Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 2013-011
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 12:55 pm

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 7:06 pm

A colleague from the boat club took a couple of better on the water photos.

Barrie

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Boat_n10 Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Boat_n11
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 7:10 pm

hi barrie,

have you sorted out the water ingress and coupling.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 7:20 pm

David,

No - water is still coming up the prop tube - despite filling it with waterproof grease Crying or Very sad  I'm not sure if it does this only when going astern, or when going forward also. Just sitting in the bath it was coming in, but since that test I have put more grease in.

It will have to wait now until I fill the "test tank" for the next boat. I don't like wasting all that water. 

It isn't too serious as I have fully waterproofed the compartment where the tube comes in, so water can't get all over the boat. It goes very well on its brushless motor and 13.1 volt LiPo.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 7:43 pm

hi barrie,

I have not tryed brushless yet, or lipos, do you find the charging easy as some people say they over heat. only I could do with some smaller packs that will give me some extra time sailing and fit into some small places, do you find they stay charged longer. I have a imax b6 charger so no problem there. hope I am all  right asking on your post.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 7:57 pm

David,

From my experience, provided you only charge them at a maximum of their capacity, e.g. a 2200 mah charged at 2.2 amps, there is no problem. It is also important to balance charge them. Finally, if not using with a brushless ESC, then make sure you don't discharge them below 3.1 volt per cell - you can buy alarms which will alert you, or more sophisticated devices which will reduce the voltage to alert you.

I am also told that you should store them at 3.8 volts per cell if not going to be used for a while. My charger has a storage setting which will do this - I think the Imax may have this feature as well. You can also get a temperature probe which will switch off the charger if the cells do get hot.

I think most of the problems arise from charging at multiple times the capacity, and if the cells get damaged in any way.

I never leave them unattended when charging, and use a fireproof bag.

Barrie

PS I have actually rescued two batteries that were discharged below 3 volts per cell. The LiPo charger wont charge these, but if you use the NiMh setting to get the voltage above 3 volts/cell, then you can switch to the LiPo setting. There is a risk in doing this, but provided you keep a close watch it works. The last one only took about 3 minutes to go from 2.4 v to 3.1 v per cell.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Just a postscript to this build. I have just returned from holiday in Madeira. Whilst wandering around near the cable car in Funchal I came across this exhibit in a glass box - part of their museum.
Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Img_2015

It was used to service flying boasts, then by the Blandy Family to access their own pleasure craft. It was in a remarkable state of preservation. The Adamcraft model was a pretty accurate model going by this example. The main thing missing from the model were the two engine boxes in the rear well.

Berrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 9:46 am

Message for Paul

Paul I have the plan - a copy of the original Adamcraft one. I also have templates taken from all the parts in an original kit and the instruction book - but you have that I think. Do you have all the parts? The most important ones are the building cradle. I didn't have this and it made construction a little tricky.
Let me know what you want and you can have it for the cost of postage.

Regards,

Barrie

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Dscn0351
Back to top Go down
paultr
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: adamcraft 1:16 seaplane tender   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Very grateful to Barrie for plans and templates, invaluable to help construct incomplete 1947 Adamcraft kit.
Also have (2) other almost complete Adamcraft kits of pond International 12ft sailing dinghy, clinker construction and has a bronze centre plate, should be fun.
Have tried to uncover Adamcraft (New Forest) articles and history, but very little found, does anyone have knowledge of these late 1940's kits.
Have seen mention of an Adamcraft Jetex powered hydroplane somewhere.
Very best wishes to all, projects, plans and dreams.
Paul
Back to top Go down
Erik-Jan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Looking for plans ST Adamcraft   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Hi Barrie,

Could you help me with the building plans? I bought a ST Adamcraft kit but there were no instruction included. 

Cheers
Erik
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 pm

Erik

I no longer have the plans or templates - I gave them to pautr as ya can see from the previous post. Maybe he still has them. You could try sending him  a message via this web site.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Simon_pandamonium
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Hello and thread bump!   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2022 8:00 pm

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me tagging onto this thread, I had to sign up and say hello as I recently came across this kit and saved it from a bonfire / shed clear out! I've got a couple of other RC boats, a small tug boat that was my Grandads, and a modern speed cruiser kit by Kyosho that I built as I was growing up.

Anyway, this one seems to be a bit of a find. But it is missing lots of bits I think. I believe all the wood panels are there but it is missing all the fixtures except the wire for the railings. And probably the decals!

I assume the missing components will be almost impossible to find, but perhaps I can source similar bits and bobs. My main issue is no instructions! I am confident I can make up the bits that are missing but I have no idea how to assemble it! The schematic image in this thread is a useful start though.

I'll try to pop some pics up of the kit when I work out how  Smile

Cheers,
Simon
Back to top Go down
Simon_pandamonium
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2022 9:35 am

Apologies for the delay. I've been sorting out some things to take on a refugee. Anyway, I think I found a way to share pics so here is the kit!..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fZVHMXztaSCwSUc37

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DKJqYwwqqGfqaVqc6
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206   Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Adamcraft Seaplane Tender ST206
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2