TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HMS Yarmouth

Go down 
+5
mattycoops43
Ole Vauger
scalloway41
Roadrunner
intrepid75
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HMS Yarmouth   HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 pm

The used to use deck tie downs. The flight deck had a number of rings for the tie downs - if you look closely in pic number 3 you will see them.
Back to top Go down
pugwash
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: HMS Yarmouth   HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:54 am

She is looking really good Mike. Congratulations on a job well done.

Phil, I believe they did try a net on the decks early on in the trials and it worked very well for giving

grip to the flight deck of a type 15 (Undaunted I think) where the Wasp was just taking off and landing because

she had no hanger facilities. Problem for ships like the Leanders and Yarmouth was she was an absolute pig to

try and move off the netting to get her into the hanger so they stuck to the tie downs.

Having had the pleasure if you can call it that of landing on three times as a passenger I can testify as to the skill

of the pilots - to me a very hairy experience would be a better description.

Geoff
Back to top Go down
http://geoffreyhobson@talktalk.co.uk
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Re: HMS Yarmouth   HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:37 pm

I was aware of an accident on County GMD, cant recall which one, around 75/76 when the NA1(Air Handler) didnt fully remove a tie down which caused it to snap on take off and be sucked into the rotors and resulted in an immediate stall to one side and a ditching. Everyone was safely rescued.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: HMS Yarmouth   HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:48 pm

thanks Geoff I thought I'd heard it some where. I can well believe it would be a pig to move it into a hanger with a heavy net on the deck as despite the small size of the wasp/scout they were still heavy I rember trying to get an army air corp scout onto a low loader after it had performed a suprisingly good emergency landing in a field after a catastriphic gearbox failure one more testement to the piloting skills of military pilots not a scratch on it after auto rotating in from only about 800 foot affraid (yes that low what lightning reactions eh ?) though i do believe his passenger needed clean underwear Sad
Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Re: HMS Yarmouth   HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:57 pm

How is the Cat Class coming on Geoff?
Back to top Go down
pugwash
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: HMS Yarmouth   HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 4:16 am

Mike I sort of got waylayed a bit with that- many hospital appointments( 2 p.w.)
, much gardening and
as the weather has been so great all autumn I have been flyfishing about 4 times a week with
my brother. Coming home after a day out in the fresh air I have been dozing in the evening instead of
getting on with it.

But garden tidy for the winter and fishing just about done for the year so I will really start making some
progress.

The hull is done with all the fittings - rungs down the sides - boat booms and the worst job trying to fit
Slaters embossed 2mm letters below the quaterdeck for the ships name - fitting the letters was easy
getting them in a straight line was something else.
I will start a build thread very shortly.

Geoff
Back to top Go down
http://geoffreyhobson@talktalk.co.uk
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Re: HMS Yarmouth   HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Been a bit way laid in Yarmouth's build as I concentrated on my Picket and MA/SB. And to tell the truth a fair bit of the picket boat and MA/SB could be done in the kitchen whereas the Yarmouth is a 100% garage build. But with the last weeks good weather and the lighter nights I have had a chance to spend some time on the last few bits of the build which is mainly stanchion work and some tidying up. I have also decided not to fit the birdcage top of the mast as although I have made it ready to fit it is ridicously fragile and even taking it off for sailing it wont last 5 minutes. Its not a museum model by any stretch and I am pleased enough with the build without the final mast top and she looks as close to Yarmouth i my mind. Over the weekend I will complete the last few bits of stanchion work and nameplates and she is done.

HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 P1010245

HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 P1010246

HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 P1010247
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: HMS Yarmouth   HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Thats looking like a proper job to coin a west country phrase!!

Nice work mate much respect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HMS Yarmouth   HMS Yarmouth - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

HMS Yarmouth
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Military - Naval - Warships-
Jump to: