TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Adhesive advice please

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sigma72
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Adhesive advice please Empty
PostSubject: Adhesive advice please   Adhesive advice please EmptyMon Dec 12, 2022 12:02 pm

About 60 years ago I made a number of control line aircraft and several model boats but since then I’ve kept the interest but not done anything about it. I’m now about to take the plunge and buy a River Police Launch kit from SLEC but would like some advice please. Back in the 60’s my adhesives were balsa cement or cascamite but the choices seem to have become much more complicated nowadays. I understand the kit I’m going for to be based on 2 and 4 mm plywood. What adhesives would people recommend I buy please?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Adhesive advice please   Adhesive advice please EmptyMon Dec 12, 2022 1:16 pm

Welcome to our site. 

I use aliphatic resin glue for most wood to wood joints. You could use ordinary PVA wood glue, but I think the aliphatic has a slightly better grab, and you can also buy a waterproof version if you want.
I also use super glue if a joint is difficult to clamp, or a two part epoxy for mixed material bonding.

Hope this helps.

When you get started I hope you will consider posting photos of your build as it progresses. Not only are we all interested in seeing what people are building, it also helps us if you have any questions about the build that you think we may able to help with.

Barrie

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
sigma72
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Adhesive advice please   Adhesive advice please EmptyMon Dec 12, 2022 1:47 pm

Thanks Barrie. The choice was a bit daunting so your advice is most welcome.
Back to top Go down
delta151
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Adhesive advice please.   Adhesive advice please EmptyWed Dec 21, 2022 8:40 pm

If you are buying the kit from SLEC I would ask their advice.  They are extremely helpful and will advise and sell you the necessary adhesives and any other bits and pieces you may require.
Derek.
Back to top Go down
sigma72
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Adhesive advice please   Adhesive advice please EmptySat Dec 24, 2022 10:25 pm

Thanks for your advice Deck Hand. I did what you suggested and asked SLEC. I’m now hopeful that Santa might be bringing me a kit with appropriate adhesives !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adhesive advice please   Adhesive advice please Empty

Back to top Go down

Adhesive advice please
Page 1 of 1