TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fishing Boat Artur - again!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Empty
PostSubject: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2022 11:42 am

So here goes with my second build of the old Czech kit Artur. I originally built this in 2014 - 8 years ago! I subsequently sold it.
This new kit bought on ebay for £59 is in good condition and has only a couple of problems - so far! The prop tube is there but the shaft is missing so I have ordered a new complete assembly. The other problem is that part of the keel is warped. I have steamed it and it is now clamped to the bench hoping it will straighten.

The formers have been cut out. This time I was able to use my Dremel Moto saw which made it a lot easier Thumbup

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2349

I am now stuck waiting for the propshaft and also some brass tube and rod for the rudder. I will probably continue cutting out the other parts while I wait.

Barrie

Fred 1948, Martin555 and JoJoElbe like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyTue Jun 21, 2022 6:55 am

This is going slowly - its been too hot for modelling. All the formers are cut and sanded, and the three pieces of the keel are joined together.
But I had a problem with my Dremel drill - its cordless. 
Last year I thought the battery had failed because it wouldn't charge, so I ordered a replacement. That charged with no problems - until last week when it refused to charge. Sad Sad Sad
I decided to try to find a replacement drill and sent for one from Amazon. I didn't like the look of the latest Dremel, so selected another brand. When it came it was too heavy and bulky, so I returned it and ordered another replacement battery. Rolling Eyes
Before that arrived I decided to do some testing on the two batteries that I have. I had already dismantled the original Dremel one and had the three cells out of the case. I tested these and found all to be holding a charge Thumbup. The replacement also seemed to be the same, so I started prodding and poking the charger. Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked 
Not sure what I did, but its now charging both batteries. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup which is good except that I now have three batteries lol! lol!

Barrie

Fred 1948, Martin555 and JoJoElbe like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyTue Jun 21, 2022 11:32 am

A bit of progress this morning after it warmed up and stopped my hands locking up!

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2350

The forward part of the hull assembled and glued - not the deck that's just to make sure everything is aligned. 

Things turned for the worse when I moved on to the stern Sad As far as I can see there is something wrong somewhere. 

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2351 Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2352

As you can see the two parts do not match up bounce bounce Sad I'm not sure what's wrong here. Once the forward part is dry I need to do some measuring but at the moment I cant see what I've done wrong.

Barrie

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2353

I finally got the stern to align after adjusting the notch in the upper keel Shocked I think my problems arose because I tied to follow the instructions. I didn't have this problem last time, but I had no instructions to follow Rolling Eyes
I have fitted the stringers so almost ready to start planking, but first I want to check the decks to ensure they fit easily and don't overlap the sides. The ply they are made from is very hard and doesn't sand back easily.

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2354

The hull is very similar to my Polish Pilot boat which took on water when I sailed her on Sunday - not sure where from. I want to seal around the propshaft with resin if I can get it into the tunnel.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyThu Jun 23, 2022 12:50 pm

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2355

I trimmed the decks to make them fit to the outline of the stringers. They should just slot in place when the time comes - I wish Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I decided to start planking at the top - This way I should be able to get the bulwarks looking neater, although I think I will need to skin the inside as the material is quite rough. Since taking the photo I have added one more plank to each side. 
I started off using my Proxxon Vice to hold the hull, but this one is much easier to use - clamp for the ball is at the front which is more convenient. I can rotate and tilt the hull to make it easier to apply the glue etc.
I test fitted the rudder tube and found it wasn't as vertical as I thought so I will have to adjust that at some time.
I have sealed round the prop tube exit with epoxy glue, and plan to try to fill the tunnel with liquid resin from the inboard end.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 2:15 pm

The build is progressing nicely Thumbup The planking is going well. There are no very sharp bends required, so the upper planks don't require soaking to help them fit the hull. The lower ones do as they bend and twist, but is getting easier as I move up the hull.

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2356

Last time I built this model I had problems with the timber, but this time its going well. The planks are quite rough, but otherwise OK.
I have filled the incorrect rudder shaft hole with a piece of dowel and will have to drill another.
I wont post any more photos until the planking is finished unless I hit any problems

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 11:15 am

You got enough clamps there Barrie? Very Happy
I'm glad this is going better it's frustrating when things go badly.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 12:00 pm

You can never have enough clamps lol! lol! - and if you think you have, then they are the wrong type  lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
... particularly true in this case. Shocked I need more with a wide opening. Rolling Eyes

The modified paper clips have proved very successful and speeded up the planking. Having used one to temporarily hold the plank, you can then insert a pin through the 'loop' if needed.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 12:50 pm

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2357

Planking finished 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Just got to remove the last pins and trim the ends. 
Next job will be to line the interior with glass tissue and resin before I start sanding and filling and sanding and filling and ........

There are also the balsa blocks for the bows and stern to start to shape - these are the bow blocks

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2358

Barrie

Fred 1948, Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyFri Jul 01, 2022 11:20 am

The inside has had glass tissue and resin - another coat of resin needed when its dry, and the outside sanded and first layer of filler applied. I started with the dregs of a tin of P38 which was quite tough to apply, then opened a new tin - what a difference Rolling Eyes. It obviously isn't a good idea to keep it too long Embarassed
I think I need to make myself a curved spatula for smoothing the filler in the concave areas.

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2359

Barrie

Fred 1948 and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 1:09 pm

The hull has now been sanded - its not perfect and will need more filling but I am waiting until I have made and fitted the bow and stern blocks. These are taking a long time Rolling Eyes The balsa is very hard and difficult to hold to be able to use any cutting tools on it. Most of the shaping so far has done by hand sanding, although I have now got some coarse sanding sheets for my Mouse.
I made an error in the shape at the bow and have had to add some 1/2 inch balsa to pack it out.

These still have a long way to go.

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2360

The stern blocks have to come out of these - you can see how much has to be cut away.

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2361

Barrie

Fred 1948 and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptySun Jul 10, 2022 1:14 pm

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2362

The two bow blocks glued in place. Still a long way to go, but they were getting difficult to hold.

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2363

The port side is nearly there. I will finish it when the bulwarks are fitted.

There is a limit to how much sanding I can do in a session. Even wearing a quality mask I soon end up sneezing and eyes watering. I hate balsa Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I think I may start cutting out some of the superstructure as a relief from sanding.

Barrie

Fred 1948, Swab, Martin555 and JoJoElbe like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptySun Jul 10, 2022 4:36 pm

I've got a top of the line filter mask for boiler inspectors to go inside large vessels you breathe absolutely no dust at all  then you take it off and all the fluff embedded on your clothes gets you. I'm no fan of it either.   Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyMon Jul 11, 2022 11:02 am

I've decided to put Artur to one side until the weather cools down a bit.
I am going to examine the contents of the "Fraser River Tug" package. 

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyMon Jul 11, 2022 4:54 pm

We just don't do heat in this country do we? It was quite cool in my shed as it's so thickly insulated it reflects away but it's creeping up slowly.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyMon Jul 11, 2022 5:44 pm

The sun doesn't get to mine until mid-morning, but its just so generally sticky that I decided to leave it.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2022 10:49 am

More seasonal temperatures returned today, so I did a little more sanding. Both bow blocks are now more or less finished - just need finishing when the bulwarks have been installed. I also made a start on the stern blocks. I'm having difficulty visualising the shape of these. This is where I've got to with the first - I've already made a mess of the other and will need to add some more material eventually. Embarassed Embarassed

Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2364

If the weather stays like this for a couple of days, I might get at least one stern block finished before I go on holiday next week.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2022 6:45 pm

Nice bit of carving I'm dreading having to do anything like that.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2022 6:49 pm

The bows were mostly done with my B&D mouse sander, but the stern definitely needed carving. The big problem is holding them - can't use a vice. Not helped today by a dodgy thumb Rolling Eyes
I will be fixing the stern block to the hull soon to hold it and try to help getting the correct shape.

Barrie

Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptySun Aug 14, 2022 10:46 am

Hi Barrie,
A little trick i used is screw a wood screw through a thin piece of scrap plywood then clamp the plywood to the bench with the screw protruding up.
Screw the Block onto the screw and that would hold it whilst you work on it.

Artur is coming along nicely.

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: An Explanation!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptySat Aug 20, 2022 11:36 am

You will have noticed that this build has gone quiet Rolling Eyes
Firstly I had an almost three week holiday cruising to Spitzbergen in the Artic Circle. During that cruise I managed to pick up Covid which has left me quite weak. I am still getting over this. 
I will be going away again in a few weeks and it is unlikely that I will start modelling again before I return around the end of September.
I do check the Forum daily whilst at home but am unlikely to respond to posts. I do receive emails whilst on holiday.
Barrie

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptySat Aug 20, 2022 11:51 am

Hi Barriew,
I hope you have a very nice holiday.
We will see you when you return to your model making.

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyThu Sep 01, 2022 1:59 pm

Having got over Covid at last, I have become bored Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. I don't feel like continuing with Artur at this time so have bought a new kit - Aylsham a Broads Cruiser.

Artur will continue (probably) later in the year.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyTue Nov 15, 2022 2:16 pm

Artur is in the recycle bin at our local tip!! I couldn't face all that sanding.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyTue Nov 15, 2022 3:28 pm

Hi Barriew,
That is a great shame.
Still imagine you still have plenty left to build.

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
Gus
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2023 12:12 pm

barriew wrote:
So here goes with my second build of the old Czech kit Artur. I originally built this in 2014 - 8 years ago! I subsequently sold it.
This new kit bought on ebay for £59 is in good condition and has only a couple of problems - so far! The prop tube is there but the shaft is missing so I have ordered a new complete assembly. The other problem is that part of the keel is warped. I have steamed it and it is now clamped to the bench hoping it will straighten.

The formers have been cut out. This time I was able to use my Dremel Moto saw which made it a lot easier Thumbup
Hi I  am a new member and I have bought a kit of the Artur fishing boat but all the paperwork is in German,  would you know of any where I could get the building instructions in English. Thank you for any help given. 
Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Img_2349

I am now stuck waiting for the propshaft and also some brass tube and rod for the rudder. I will probably continue cutting out the other parts while I wait.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2023 6:12 pm

Gus

I think I may have them. I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyWed Feb 01, 2023 9:44 am

Gus

Sorry - they went when I binned the hull etc. 
Do you have a scanner? It is possible to scan the German text and then use an online OCR service to get the instructions into a format suitable for use in a translation program - I have done this in the past. I can probably give you more detailed instructions if that would help. I would offer to do this for you, but on Monday I go into hospital for three weeks!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Gus
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyWed Feb 01, 2023 7:47 pm

Please do not worry, I hope all goes well for you from Monday. Just as well as I am away from Friday for two weeks I will be going to North West Spain, that's where my wife comes from.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! EmptyWed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 pm

If you're still struggling when I get out, I would be happy to help trying to get the instructions translated.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat Artur - again!!   Fishing Boat Artur - again!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Fishing Boat Artur - again!!
Page 1 of 1