TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Maquettes Asterix II

Go down 
+3
redpmg
Fred 1948
barriew
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2022 9:56 pm

Glad you had a good cruise, 1/20th is an awkward scale maquettes  do some figures in that scale in lifeboat gear. I've done too many scale models i prefer better sculpts  than the maquette ones but in the cabin they would look fine.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 7:32 am

I've been checking out a new company Drydock3D which has some nice figures but at eye watering prices at 1/20 scale.Shocked 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 5:46 pm

That's why I spent days converting a figure for the bridge of the Orca - it would have been cheaper to get Michelangelo to sculpt me a figure than get a 3D print! You saved me a fortune with the barrels as printing accurate copies was more than I spent on the boat.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySun May 08, 2022 1:26 pm

Finally got Asterix to the lake Thumbup Sails very well although much too fast and the throttle seems a bit non-linear if you know what I mean. I will have to examine the spec sheet for the ESC. 

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2318

Not a very good photo - against the strong sun and I couldn't see what I was taking lol!
When I lifted her out, the rear compartment was full of water, and there was evidence of water coming up the prop tube also. I will have to remove the rudder and shaft and apply some grease, although I am not sure why it should come up the rudder tube as the top is ell above the waterline.

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySun May 08, 2022 6:51 pm

Looks fine on the water! I looked for 1/20th figures Cap maquettes were really the most appropriate there are a lot of female figures in 1/20th from Japan totally inappropriate but you could use them depends what they are fishing for!  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySun May 08, 2022 7:08 pm

I have ordered some razor saws and I'm going to try to remove the wheelhouse roof. If I manage that without ruining the model, then I will look seriously for figures. If that doesn't work then I will leave it as it is.
I've decided that French fishermen are a bit on the short side, so I will look at 1/24th and 1/25th scale which are a bit cheaper and more plentiful.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySun May 08, 2022 8:33 pm

Check out some military modelling sites you may well find some convertible figures which is quite interesting and a change from the norm.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2022 1:21 pm

I stripped out the rudder and prop-shaft this morning. Not a pretty sight Shocked The shaft was covered in black goo and when cleaned was found to be pitted. I drilled out an opening at the inboard end of the tube to allow me to add grease/oil. After cleaning the shaft with wire wool I injected grease into the tube and re-assembled it. It certainly runs smoother and quieter now Thumbup

Next I coated the rudder shaft liberally in grease and again re-assembled. Before I did so I modified the tiller arm. For some reason I had the grub screw at 180 degrees to where I wanted it, so I re-soldered it in the correct orientation which allows easier access to the screw.

I can't try it in the lake for a couple of weeks as the M11 will be closed next Sunday and that is my route to the lake bounce bounce

I now need to consider the provision of a switch, or the mounting of the fuse holder so that I can continue to use the fuse as a switch. I have a surface mounting blade fuse holder and I'm going to try to find a suitable mounting for that.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySun May 15, 2022 3:52 pm

After exhaustive searching for 1:20 model figures, I remembered that I had some chinese ones of the right size so I dug them out. One of them required surgery, but after removing his tie, the other will be OK with new clothes Rolling Eyes

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2326 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2327

The surgery didn't go as well as it could have as there were no left hands in the body spares box Shocked As it will be partly hidden in the wheelhouse, I think it will be OK.
This is what they look like after visiting the charity shop for some new clothes.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2328

I have also ordered some wheelhouse equipment from CMB, including a wheel Rolling Eyes I also realised that there was no door inside the wheelhouse, so have modified the second door included with the kit. Tomorrow I hope to re-glaze the windows ready to re-fix the roof.

I may also buy one 3D printed figure to go on the main deck, the man in the yellow jacket will be in the wheelhouse.

Barrie

I had a problem with these photos as I discovered the Forum Software assumes landscape forma and turns portrait through 90 degrees bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySun May 15, 2022 9:33 pm

You should have left the tie on and said it was the owner! Very Happy they look fine Barrie .
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 6:38 am

They need a coat of matt varnish to take off the shine Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 12:41 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2329

Before I installed the glazing, I gave the interior a coat of satin varnish to help the double sided tape to stick. I also added the internal door.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2330

The figures have had a coat of matt varnish, and I have made a seat for the helmsman, but after measuring the height and cutting the dowel I decided to add a base, so now its too high Shocked It will be corrected when I get the wheel.

Tomorrow back to the electrics and fitting the fixed fuse holder to act as the switch.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
JoJoElbe
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: all these extras   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 2:40 pm

Yeah, all these extras missing in the sets. 
Especially things like doors!  Thats not the only one.
Well done,  it's always looking better with people on board.
Best,
Joerg
Back to top Go down
http://modellwerft.spuelsaum.de/
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 7:46 pm

I'm starting to understand now I've built a couple that small eye catching details set a boat build off and raise it up a notch, this really looks 'alive' Barrie. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 7:50 pm

I have ordered another figure for the main part of the deck. I would like to add some fish boxes and baskets, but to make any impact will be pretty expensive if I buy them so I am trying to think of other things I could add.
I have made a table to sit alongside the pot hauler and have some more netting to add. I have also added some fairleads and more bollards. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 9:23 pm

I'd do some folded up netting that would fill a bit space.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2022 6:04 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2334

Fuse holder now fitted. The wiring is still a mess, but with all the fixed leads there's not much I can do about it. I will probably just unplug the battery rather than adding a switch - my boats don't get much use, so its not worth trying to find space and more connectors for a switch Rolling Eyes

Now waiting for my other parts and figure to arrive.

Barrie

A combination of Google Photos and the Forum software means that I have no control over the orientation of the photo - this was landscape which google decided should be portrait and the Forum agreed bounce bounce bounce bounce Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2022 11:32 am

Well my CAP Maquettes fittings and my new figure all arrived today. 2thumbsup  Unfortunately two of the fittings were incorrect Rolling Eyes However, as a result of CMB's error, I now have an oil drum and an engine telegraph to add to the installation. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup  

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2335

Here you can see some of the items. I have been searching for buckets and or baskets without success. There are some 1/12 scale galvanised buckets, but I think I need plastic. I will have to have a search through bottles and jars to see if there is anything suitable. I also plan to try making some fish boxes from plasticard.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2022 9:58 pm

I found this place but it wasn't very obvious in my favourites list check out 'shop' and go down the list to the fish crates and other items.
https://marksmodelbits.com/
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyThu May 19, 2022 6:14 am

Yes - I know Mark and have bought items from him in the past. He does visit this Forum from time to time - user name Windy. The problem is not finding them but justifying the cost of the number I think I need to make an impact. Not finally decided and I intend to try making one to help me decide. Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptyFri May 20, 2022 12:56 pm

My final items arrived today and the others have been painted, including the new crew member

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2336

Still a bit shiny as the varnish wasn't dry when I took this. Hopefully I can now finish the additions and give it another sail on Sunday. The lake is open again after being closed for a week to allow the fish to spawn Shocked

Barrie

Fred 1948 and JoJoElbe like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySat May 21, 2022 12:53 pm

It's finished Thumbup

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2337 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2339

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2340 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2341

I'm quite pleased with the rope bucket - I was using my gas weed burner when I realised the throw away cap on the gas cannister was just about the right size for a dust bin Rolling Eyes 2thumbsup

I've also made one fish tray - not sure about the size. I need to see if I can find out the real-life size.

So - if it doesn't take on water I will be very pleased with this one 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySun May 22, 2022 6:26 pm

My Orca bait buckets are terminal caps from car batteries with welding wire handles i appropriated from the bin in a tyre depot i inspected the vehicle ramps at, sometimes the inspiration strikes in strange places.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySun May 22, 2022 6:57 pm

No water inside 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
JoJoElbe
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySun May 22, 2022 7:16 pm

barriew wrote:
No water inside 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie

basics in boating, I guess cheers   2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://modellwerft.spuelsaum.de/
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySat May 28, 2022 6:24 am

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Img_2342

I made a couple of fish boxes so Asterix is now complete. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
No plans for another at the moment - I have a few potentials but none of them shout 'build me', so I'm waiting a while for inspiration. I really don't want to build another hull if I can help it, but we will see. There are a couple of possibilities on Ebay that I am following if the price doesn't go crazy.

Barrie

Swab and JoJoElbe like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 EmptySat May 28, 2022 9:36 am

Spot on Barrie the figures being it to life! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Maquettes Asterix II
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Active Build Blogs!-
Jump to: