TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Maquettes Asterix II

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

New Maquettes Asterix II Empty
PostSubject: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II EmptyThu Jan 13, 2022 6:35 pm

After a lot of time trying to decide whether or not I wanted to build a new model, and if so what sort of model, I decided on a kit, and have just received this one

New Maquettes Asterix II Img_2228

At first glance this is a quality kit. All the frames are cut out ready - not lasered or die cut. The timber looks to be good quality. The instructions are in French, which will be an extra challenge, but luckily my Daughter is fluent in the language - although I'm not sure that includes nautical terms lol!

More information when I get started.

Barrie

Fred 1948 and redpmg like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Gunner
Gunner
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 8:58 am

Hi Barriew

Looking forward to this build.

Fred
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 1:00 pm

Well, no building yet, but I have managed to translate the instructions using some free Internet resources. I scanned the French instructions to PDF, used on online (FREE) French OCR programme, then used Google translate to translate the French to English. It worked remarkably well. There are a few words it didn't handle, and some boat terms are probably not quite right, but its easier than struggling with the French.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 8:14 am

Good start Barrie - nice to be able to read the instructions -you should enjoy it. If there are no burn marks the parts are probably spindle cut on a cnc router.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 11:33 am

I've made a start Shocked Rolling Eyes First job is to glue the prop tube into the keel. Now waiting for the glue to dry. The lower part o the keel is slightly warped so care will be needed to ensure the hull is straight.

Barrie

New Maquettes Asterix II Img_2229
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II EmptySun Jan 16, 2022 5:14 pm

Major Problem Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked The keel has stuck well, so I started to put together the pieces for the next phase - formers, and construction of the forward section of the hull. 
I should say that the construction method is rather different to the norm, The hull is initially constructed in two parts.
There are pieces missing from the forward part of the hull - unfortunately they do not show on the plan, so I cannot make them from my stock. They are only pieces of ply, but with no dimensions I am stuck.

I have emailed CMB, so no more progress until I hear from them.

Back to plastic cars 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II EmptyMon Jan 17, 2022 7:42 pm

Revenge for Waterloo! seriously that's poor their fittings are top notch I'm surprised their quality control doesn't match.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II EmptyYesterday at 4:51 pm

Well, the good news is that I do have the pieces.  2thumbsup
They were included with a pack of assorted rectangular bits of ply - no identification on any of them, and the parts not dimensioned on the sketch showing their installation bounce bounce bounce bounce 
At least New Maquettes got back to CMB quickly. I just have to work out where the other pieces fit Shocked

I have started a plastic car, so will have to get that to a point where I can leave it before continuing with Asterix.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

New Maquettes Asterix II
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Active Build Blogs!-
Jump to: