TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Laser cutter software

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vigo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Laser cutter software Empty
PostSubject: Laser cutter software   Laser cutter software EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 5:20 pm

I'm considering buying a laser cutter but I can't figure out what kind of design software I'd need. I've used several CAD packages in the past but can't seem to find any references to CAD in any of the product specs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Laser cutter software   Laser cutter software EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 6:01 pm

I'm no expert - don't use CAD, never mind laser cutters - but from what I've read on other Forums you need to use a 2D package. You may then need to convert the output file if the package doesn't match your cutter's requirement.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Laser cutter software   Laser cutter software EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 9:16 am

Hi - we have a large Laser cutter /engraver which is used commercially for trophies etc. Both of us use Corel Draw - I stick to version X3 as our laser is now 7 years old and its software does not handle the new versions of dxf files (CAD) , Better half uses the latest version - but the cheaper student version as she simply saves files as version X3 (13) and passes on to me to produce CAD files for use with the Laser. Its only 2d unlike CAD software where you can get isometric views so when I set up 3d items such as boats you have to check it all out carefully. There are still some free versions of CAD software around but Corel is easier to use and you can export files in practically any software version - eg dxf, dwg, pdf, jpg etc.

Basic difference is CAD files in a circle produce hundreds of data points (uses minute straight lines ) whereas Corel uses 4 data points. Same applies for any type of curve. You can also zoom in to about 45000 times magnification on Corel to give minute corrections.

Either type of software it takes time to learn - make sure whatever you settle for provides tuition of some sort - not just a manual.
Back to top Go down

Laser cutter software
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: General Modelling :: General Modelling Questions-
Jump to: