TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recommendation: Large ship model?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
natbr
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Recommendation: Large ship model? Empty
PostSubject: Recommendation: Large ship model?   Recommendation: Large ship model? EmptyThu Oct 29, 2020 2:44 am

Hi, 
I am finishing up an ocean-going tug model (Zwarte Zee, 1937, 42” 1/72 scale) and am thinking about my next project: a BIG working model ship that would be roughly in scale with my tug.  I'm thinking of a non-military ship -- like a liner, commercial ship or something. I guess I'm a little enamored of the navel designs the early-mid 1900's (hence my 1937 tug) as opposed to a modern cruise ship, or something.  I've been talking to loyalhannadockyard about some potential options there including a 94" hull of 1937 liner.  But I'm a little daunted by an almost 8' long model. So something a little smaller? Or not ... 

Ideally, I would love to buy a hull (fiberglass ?) and a source for scale-appropriate fittings ... 

Any recommendations from the RCModelboat-asphere? Where would you send me?

-- Nat
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation: Large ship model?   Recommendation: Large ship model? EmptyThu Oct 29, 2020 6:57 am

In the UK there is a company modelling the cross channel and North Sea Ferries of the mid 1900s. These are full kits including hulls and fittings.

http://www.linkspanmodels.co.uk

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation: Large ship model?   Recommendation: Large ship model? EmptyThu Oct 29, 2020 9:59 pm

• Check out fleetscale for warships! 

https://www.fleetscale.com/

They have some of the most accurate warship hulls out their including my type 42 Cumberland, I highly recommend them for service and quality. Prices tho are not cheap so be prepared.

ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation: Large ship model?   Recommendation: Large ship model? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 9:32 am

natbr wrote:
Hi, 
I am finishing up an ocean-going tug model (Zwarte Zee, 1937, 42” 1/72 scale) and am thinking about my next project: a BIG working model ship that would be roughly in scale with my tug.  I'm thinking of a non-military ship -- like a liner, commercial ship or something. I guess I'm a little enamored of the navel designs the early-mid 1900's (hence my 1937 tug) as opposed to a modern cruise ship, or something.  I've been talking to loyalhannadockyard about some potential options there including a 94" hull of 1937 liner.  But I'm a little daunted by an almost 8' long model. So something a little smaller? Or not ... 

Ideally, I would love to buy a hull (fiberglass ?) and a source for scale-appropriate fittings ... 

Any recommendations from the RCModelboat-asphere? Where would you send me?

-- Nat
If I may just make a point here Nat , Having sailed this course myself ,whilst I understand your desire bare in mind both the transport to and from site , the complexity of setting up and stripping down at the waterside  and the expense .
I made this mistake myself twice , the first was 1/96 scale HMS VICTORIOUS C 1962 complete with all the bells and whistles and the hull was cast with a bulkhead just in front of the bridge structure which dear Ron had built for me so that I could transport it more easily .....ended up selling her as a worsening arthritis of the spine precluded the handling of it Embarassed

The second was a Damion ASD 2810 , with twin 850 geared motor's 52 Kort props and twin 20 amp hour 12v batteries which I used to recover club members distressed models from the lake's where our club  sails , again the same problem [ you thought I would have learnt by now but you know what us modellers are like eh ...]

My current model which is a CAP Suzan French Gaff rigged cutter style lobster boat is more of a challenge and easier to navigate , so learn from my mistakes please ......

If however you wish to pursue this as is your wish for a big boat to tow I saw one on YouTube made from sections of plastic containers which slotted together to form a very respectable vessel with a bow and stern fashioned to suit all of which could be taken apart and stacked in his car .......very sensible and solved the problem [ think it may have been a L/L Liberty boat type merchant vessel .....

Let me  know how you get on Nat .Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation: Large ship model?   Recommendation: Large ship model? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 9:26 pm

Dean's Marine http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/index.php
Mountfleet models  http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk
both do commercial hulls but in 1/96th scale, I'll second Ivor's comment that you have to handle and transport your build my biggest boat so far is just under 4 foot and it's a pig to get in and out the car.

ColinH likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation: Large ship model?   Recommendation: Large ship model? Empty

Back to top Go down

Recommendation: Large ship model?
Page 1 of 1