TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HA Kits Ocean Racer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

HA Kits Ocean Racer Empty
PostSubject: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 1:05 pm

These kits were mentioned on that other site, and last week the owner made a very generous offer to members of that site, so I ordered one of the kits. I suppose these are really 'short kits' as they contain no mechanical parts.
Here are the kit contents

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1511

Two sheets of laser cut 3mm (lite /) ply and one of 0.5 mm ply, plus some strip wood, some 3-D printed components and a sheet of acrylic with templates for windscreen and windows.

The laser cutting is excellent and the parts released cleanly from the sheet. After some light cleaning to remove excess burnt dust, the parts were dry assembled. All fitted perfectly and were then glued using Aliphatic glue rather than super glue as suggested.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1512

At the moment I am unclear as to how much space there is for motor and servo installation. I hope this will become clear after the deck is fitted and I can see where the prop-shaft will go.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 pm

I've seen these kits on ebay he has quite a range, they look good as base kits for modification and personalisation, if i hadnt brought a chinese kit of ebay last week i might have brought the sports boat that uses twin jet drives.

looking forward to this build good luck!

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Now the deck is on it is easier to see what space is available for motor servo and battery.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1514

It is just about possible to fir a mini servo. That is not the motor I will be using, but it gives an idea. Before fitting the lower keel I opened up the hole for the prop shaft

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1513

I am using a shaft that I had. I have fitted the two halves of the lower keel, and some of the supports - and come across the first snag with the kit. One of the supports has to fit against the keel doublers but has not been cut to do so

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1515

a minor problem easily rectified once the keel has dried and the doublers been fitted. This is the current position - waiting for glue to dry. I have ordered a motor and some brass rod and tube for a rudder from CMB.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1517 HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1516

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyMon Mar 23, 2020 12:49 pm

The remaining keel supports have been fitted. The prop-shaft is approx 8mm diameter; the keel with its doublers is about 7.5mm .Rolling Eyes So I added more doublers. Before gluing the original doublers I took a sanding drum to them to open up a channel for the tube. After further work with files after the glue had dried I managed to get the tube installed. Its final position will depend on the motor when it arrives.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1518

Next to the transom. There were a couple of problems with this - apart from it being too stiff to bend. Firstly it was too small, so I made a new one from Liteply.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1520

Secondly, the support was the wrong shape, so again I cut a new one from Liteply.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1519

Apart from gluing this in place I am waiting for the motor etc to come from CMB.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 pm

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1521

Yesterday I glued on the transom. I also applied some EzeKote resin to the surfaces under the 'floor', which will be inaccessible once the sides and bottom are on.

My motor arrived today and I have mounted it. It had to go further forward than I would have liked. This means finding a new place for the battery Rolling Eyes The 'coupling' is for alignment only. It will be replaced.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1522

I also drilled a hole for the rudder shaft and strengthened it and around the prop tube with P40. 

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1523

Next job is make the rudder and work out the battery, esc and Rx mounting. I want to get these sorted before adding the skins.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 10:47 am

Its slow going at the moment. I'm trying to get the rudder linkage working.  Its very tight with little access Crying or Very sad. I rather think that I need to start again. If I can lower the rudder tube I may be able to get the servo on its side which would allow me to have access the grub screw on the clamp.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1525 HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1526

The pencil line indicates the space available once the rear well is in place - except it is too near the transom. There is another centimetre or so available space.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 11:16 am

Are you able to cut a hole where the servo would sit in the floor section and sit the servo lower with some riser blocks to attach the servo to, it can only drop as far as the hull skin would allow but it may give you just enough space by dropping it through...

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 am

I don't think it would gain enough space RR, although its an idea worth pursuing if the mounting on its side doesn't work out. I could get the current layout to work, but I would have no access if anything went wrong.
I hope to have another go this afternoon - awaiting food delivery just now.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 11:46 am

Another option could be to mount the servo further up the boat and run the servo connection down the sides of the boat using an “L” shaped connector sat on a screw or bar as a pivot, this is the same way I’ve done duel and triple rudders ( graphner Wiesel) in the past but your just using a longer stretch of wire for the linkage to the servo, this would require holes drilled in the bulkheads to allow the wire to move through keeping it inside the frame work, but that’s easily done with a drill/dremel. 

See attached “drawing” as that might clarify my suggestion better.

You can also run that servo vertically or side mounted depending on space further up the boat, this would also eliminate using a extension harness.HA Kits Ocean Racer Image12

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 5:27 pm

I had another go this afternoon, and I think that lying the servo on its side will work.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1527

I need a new fitting for the tiller, but it should work.

I also constructed a holder for the battery. It is over the UJ so will have to be removable. The base will be screwed to the supports.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1528

I can almost start fitting the skins, when the servo is fixed and some holes cut in bulkheads for wires. I should have sufficient access to finalise the rudder linkage.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 7:11 pm

Looks like a good result, providing you have access to the servo and linkage later, fold down/removable cover hatch? 

Good job tho, simple is always better long term.

2thumbsup 2thumbsup

T33CNO
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 10:25 pm

I struggled with where to put my steering servo as the instructions for my lobster boat showed the servo all the way up front with a long wire through a plastic tube. I experimented and managed to fit it right next to the rudder shaft
https://photos.smugmug.com/Midwest-Booth-Bay-Lobster-boat/i-XVpStLm/0/f7fbc3d8/1280/145D3350-02C2-48DB-84FE-61C1514B20A5-1280.mp4
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyYesterday at 6:49 am

Roadrunner wrote:
Looks like a good result, providing you have access to the servo and linkage later, fold down/removable cover hatch? 

Good job tho, simple is always better long term.

2thumbsup 2thumbsup
RR

The whole of the superstructure including the 'well' comes off so access should not be a problem. I was going to glue the servo down, but I think I can arrange to screw it.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyYesterday at 11:42 am

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1529

The servo is screwed and access should be OK if it needs to be removed Thumbup. The battery box has been modified to take a slightly larger capacity battery, and the prop shaft coupler made and installed, so the battery box has been screwed down, again allowing for removal if needed. 
The ESC sits alongside the motor and the Receiver will mount on the bulkhead behind the battery allowing its aerial to stick up into the cabin. I think I can now return to completing the model by fitting the skins.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
Damien

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyYesterday at 11:52 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyYesterday at 12:54 pm

Excellent result, looking forward to more 2thumbsup

HA Kits Ocean Racer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Active Build Blogs!-
Jump to: