TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HA Kits Ocean Racer

Go down 
+2
Roadrunner
barriew
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

HA Kits Ocean Racer Empty
PostSubject: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 1:05 pm

These kits were mentioned on that other site, and last week the owner made a very generous offer to members of that site, so I ordered one of the kits. I suppose these are really 'short kits' as they contain no mechanical parts.
Here are the kit contents

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1511

Two sheets of laser cut 3mm (lite /) ply and one of 0.5 mm ply, plus some strip wood, some 3-D printed components and a sheet of acrylic with templates for windscreen and windows.

The laser cutting is excellent and the parts released cleanly from the sheet. After some light cleaning to remove excess burnt dust, the parts were dry assembled. All fitted perfectly and were then glued using Aliphatic glue rather than super glue as suggested.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1512

At the moment I am unclear as to how much space there is for motor and servo installation. I hope this will become clear after the deck is fitted and I can see where the prop-shaft will go.

Barrie

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 pm

I've seen these kits on ebay he has quite a range, they look good as base kits for modification and personalisation, if i hadnt brought a chinese kit of ebay last week i might have brought the sports boat that uses twin jet drives.

looking forward to this build good luck!

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Now the deck is on it is easier to see what space is available for motor servo and battery.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1514

It is just about possible to fir a mini servo. That is not the motor I will be using, but it gives an idea. Before fitting the lower keel I opened up the hole for the prop shaft

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1513

I am using a shaft that I had. I have fitted the two halves of the lower keel, and some of the supports - and come across the first snag with the kit. One of the supports has to fit against the keel doublers but has not been cut to do so

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1515

a minor problem easily rectified once the keel has dried and the doublers been fitted. This is the current position - waiting for glue to dry. I have ordered a motor and some brass rod and tube for a rudder from CMB.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1517 HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1516

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyMon Mar 23, 2020 12:49 pm

The remaining keel supports have been fitted. The prop-shaft is approx 8mm diameter; the keel with its doublers is about 7.5mm .Rolling Eyes So I added more doublers. Before gluing the original doublers I took a sanding drum to them to open up a channel for the tube. After further work with files after the glue had dried I managed to get the tube installed. Its final position will depend on the motor when it arrives.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1518

Next to the transom. There were a couple of problems with this - apart from it being too stiff to bend. Firstly it was too small, so I made a new one from Liteply.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1520

Secondly, the support was the wrong shape, so again I cut a new one from Liteply.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1519

Apart from gluing this in place I am waiting for the motor etc to come from CMB.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 pm

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1521

Yesterday I glued on the transom. I also applied some EzeKote resin to the surfaces under the 'floor', which will be inaccessible once the sides and bottom are on.

My motor arrived today and I have mounted it. It had to go further forward than I would have liked. This means finding a new place for the battery Rolling Eyes The 'coupling' is for alignment only. It will be replaced.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1522

I also drilled a hole for the rudder shaft and strengthened it and around the prop tube with P40. 

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1523

Next job is make the rudder and work out the battery, esc and Rx mounting. I want to get these sorted before adding the skins.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 10:47 am

Its slow going at the moment. I'm trying to get the rudder linkage working.  Its very tight with little access Crying or Very sad. I rather think that I need to start again. If I can lower the rudder tube I may be able to get the servo on its side which would allow me to have access the grub screw on the clamp.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1525 HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1526

The pencil line indicates the space available once the rear well is in place - except it is too near the transom. There is another centimetre or so available space.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 11:16 am

Are you able to cut a hole where the servo would sit in the floor section and sit the servo lower with some riser blocks to attach the servo to, it can only drop as far as the hull skin would allow but it may give you just enough space by dropping it through...

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 am

I don't think it would gain enough space RR, although its an idea worth pursuing if the mounting on its side doesn't work out. I could get the current layout to work, but I would have no access if anything went wrong.
I hope to have another go this afternoon - awaiting food delivery just now.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 11:46 am

Another option could be to mount the servo further up the boat and run the servo connection down the sides of the boat using an “L” shaped connector sat on a screw or bar as a pivot, this is the same way I’ve done duel and triple rudders ( graphner Wiesel) in the past but your just using a longer stretch of wire for the linkage to the servo, this would require holes drilled in the bulkheads to allow the wire to move through keeping it inside the frame work, but that’s easily done with a drill/dremel. 

See attached “drawing” as that might clarify my suggestion better.

You can also run that servo vertically or side mounted depending on space further up the boat, this would also eliminate using a extension harness.HA Kits Ocean Racer Image12

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 5:27 pm

I had another go this afternoon, and I think that lying the servo on its side will work.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1527

I need a new fitting for the tiller, but it should work.

I also constructed a holder for the battery. It is over the UJ so will have to be removable. The base will be screwed to the supports.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1528

I can almost start fitting the skins, when the servo is fixed and some holes cut in bulkheads for wires. I should have sufficient access to finalise the rudder linkage.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 7:11 pm

Looks like a good result, providing you have access to the servo and linkage later, fold down/removable cover hatch? 

Good job tho, simple is always better long term.

2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Back to top Go down
T33CNO
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 10:25 pm

I struggled with where to put my steering servo as the instructions for my lobster boat showed the servo all the way up front with a long wire through a plastic tube. I experimented and managed to fit it right next to the rudder shaft
https://photos.smugmug.com/Midwest-Booth-Bay-Lobster-boat/i-XVpStLm/0/f7fbc3d8/1280/145D3350-02C2-48DB-84FE-61C1514B20A5-1280.mp4

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySat Mar 28, 2020 6:49 am

Roadrunner wrote:
Looks like a good result, providing you have access to the servo and linkage later, fold down/removable cover hatch? 

Good job tho, simple is always better long term.

2thumbsup 2thumbsup
RR

The whole of the superstructure including the 'well' comes off so access should not be a problem. I was going to glue the servo down, but I think I can arrange to screw it.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySat Mar 28, 2020 11:42 am

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1529

The servo is screwed and access should be OK if it needs to be removed Thumbup. The battery box has been modified to take a slightly larger capacity battery, and the prop shaft coupler made and installed, so the battery box has been screwed down, again allowing for removal if needed. 
The ESC sits alongside the motor and the Receiver will mount on the bulkhead behind the battery allowing its aerial to stick up into the cabin. I think I can now return to completing the model by fitting the skins.

Barrie

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm

Excellent result, looking forward to more 2thumbsup

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySun Mar 29, 2020 6:43 pm

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1531

First side installed. 

I also started building the superstructure

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1530

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 2:06 pm

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1534

The second hull side piece is now on. The main components of the superstructure are also glued together. I did try this in the hull and it was very tight, so will require quite a bit of sanding i think, especially as it still has the be painted.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 3:17 pm

I’m always inspired by your fast progress when it comes to building, just wish I was allowed the time to go at speeds, rather than dragging my projects out over years.

Are you planning to detail the cabin section as it looks to be large enough to add details of the photo?

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 5:33 pm

I normally only spend one to two hours a day building - and I'm not as much a perfectionist as you are. I basically model to keep me occupied Shocked

There is no room below what you see in the front cabin - the motor comes up to deck level. The rear cockpit includes seats and I may try to add a console and wheel. If I can find a suitable one, then it desperately needs a driver. 

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyTue Mar 31, 2020 12:57 pm

The glue on the two sides has now hardened. 

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1536

There is a bit of a problem at the bow where I was not very accurate so I have added some P38 well pushed down into the gap which I hope will hold. 

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1537

As you will see. there is quite a lot of sanding required before the bottom skins can be fitted. 

The Cabin wall in the aft well had some of the construction joints showing so to tidy it up I used a bit of spare thin ply to face it. Later I will add a door and a console to take instruments and a wheel.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1535

I struggled a bit fitting the cabin front - I think this is correct, but wont know until I come to fit the roof.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1539

and this is what it looks like now!

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1538

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyTue Mar 31, 2020 2:42 pm

looking great, looks like a nice design, similar to that of the swordsman  2thumbsup

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyTue Mar 31, 2020 2:45 pm

Yes its based on the Swordsman, but not an exact scale replica.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Apr 01, 2020 12:41 pm

The cabin roof has now been fitted, and I wasn't happy with replacement transom - the grain was very prominent - so I cut another from thin birch ply..

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1541 HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1542

My handrails have arrived 

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1540

but I think they are a little heavy. I will have to see when I can try them on the roof.

I started building the seats for the aft well and came across a couple of problems. One is an error in the build diagrams, the other is that a couple of the pieces appear to be too small. I will be emailing the supplier.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Apr 01, 2020 2:03 pm

Hi I have message for you with regard to your cabin hand rails? My good friend Neil Howard-pritchard, has kindly offered to cast some for you, and send them to you absolutely Free of Charge. 
Just go on to the RNLI RC LIFEBOATS site and message him under the JrNeil Howard-Pritchard and tell him the size you require, and he will do his best to help you. Many Thanks Mick F.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Apr 01, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks Mick

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 pm

Those hand rails don’t look to bad bud, assuming they are resin cast hence the weight?

To be fair I don’t think they will effect the boat overall given it’s buoyancy, after all many a boat is covered in rock hard white metal castings and those don’t sink to often lol!

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 7:02 am

RR - my bad wording! I was referring to the look rather than how much they weigh Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 12:49 pm

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1543

As I thought - these don't look right to me, so ......

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1545

...I made these. Thanks to those who offered to make them for me, but I decided I really had to have a go myself.

I spent most of today's session sanding back the hull sides ready to add the bottom sheets.. This is going to be a challenge, not least because of the distance between our kitchen (for steam) and my workshop. lol! These have to fit well as there is limited material for them to glue onto, and no means of reinforcing once glued. I was hoping not to have to cover the hull with glass or paper tissue and resin, but I think it will be necessary.

Finally I started on the seat boxes now I know that the diagrams were wrong.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1544

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Today I moved into the kitchen so that I could steam the hull underside and quickly mould it to shape before it went too cold. 

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1546

I am now waiting for this side to dry so I can repeat with the other side.  When both have dried I can attempt to glue them in place.
The superstructure has been sanded and given a coat of sanding sealer. The seat boxes have been sanded and received two coats of sanding sealer. I now need to decide on a colour scheme for the model, and start painting.

Barrie

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySun Apr 05, 2020 4:35 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySun Apr 05, 2020 7:41 am

Nice job, my only suggestion for helping secure the hull panels would be to use some glass tape on the seams, it’s a much smaller job than glassing the whole boat but would work equally well.

Keep up the good work!

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySun Apr 05, 2020 1:35 pm

I steamed the other side today - just waiting for it to dry.
I started painting the cabin. This is a matt paint - I will cover it with a slightly brighter dark blue gloss. So many of the new Humbrol enamels have poor coverage. Its only the matt ones that seem to have any body.

Barrie

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1547

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyMon Apr 06, 2020 11:07 am

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1548

That's the first side fixed - I hope Shocked I used Aliphatic glue. I did this side first as it seemed the best dry fit.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1549

The cabin has had a coat of dark blue gloss - all of it honestly. The reflections make it appear the front window wasn't painted. Rolling Eyes  I also did the roof and started on the well. I intend to cover the edges of the well with mahogany veneer when I've finished painting.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1550

I've also painted the window frames silver - just managed to scrape enough from the bottom of the tin Shocked The long piece is the bottom frame for the windscreen. This is the template for cutting the windows - a job for later today.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1551

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyMon Apr 06, 2020 1:59 pm

Looks fine to me, always liked a gloss finish to blind you 😂

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyTue Apr 07, 2020 11:40 am

Side one stuck well.  Now onto side two. The dry fit was not as good as side one, but after a bit of fetling it was OK. Just hope the glues sticks Rolling Eyes The cabin has had a second coat on the blue and roof and the walls of the well have been painted. The window frames have been glazed ready for adding once the paint dries.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1552

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 pm

Side two stuck pretty well. Just one area of concern

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1553

Otherwise just a few areas needing the P38. Rolling Eyes

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1555 HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1554

and after filling and sanding this is where I'm at

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1556

I now have to decide if I am going to cover the hull in tissue and resin, or just resin. There are spray rails to be applied and I think I have decided to just use EzeKote resin.  Its not likely to get much use on the water, and our lakes don't have hard edges, so chances of water ingress are low. So I will fit the rails, then wait for my resin to arrive.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 12:38 pm

The spray rails along the chine were fitted this morning. I used superglue as there was no way of clamping while the glue set, and even after a long soak, the strip wasn't keen on bending to shape!

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1558

There are also three rails to fit to the underside of the hull on each side.

I also fitted some mahogany strip the edges of the rear well to finish it off.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1557

Tomorrow I have to re-stick the glazing into the windows. I was interrupted when I did it the other day and the glue must have dried before I put in the glazing Shocked

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 1:34 pm

Looking great! Resin coating will deffo be a big aid in that hull, looking forward to more!

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Apr 10, 2020 12:45 pm

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1559

The spray rails are now in place on the hull, and the hull is ready for resin coating. 
The windows have been re-glazed and installed. The handrails have been fitted as has the lower frame for the windscreen. I spent about half an hour trying to fit the screen, but didn't have enough hands lol!
I have fitted the seats to the starboard side, but am leaving the port side as I hope to get a wheel and will need access to drill a hole. Rolling Eyes. The mast has been made and is ready for painting, other than that I am waiting for supplies.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyFri Apr 10, 2020 10:56 pm

Looking great bud, should be a real cracker on the water once your all let outside.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 6:25 am

Thanks Aron. I'm not sure the rails will be necessary at the speed I sail - especially with this motor. If it goes really well, I may look to upgrading it to brushless when suppliers return to normal.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 12:50 pm

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1561 HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1560

After a few minutes trying again yesterday afternoon, the windscreen is fixed. Just had to modify the bottom frame Thumbup This morning I started painting the mast, and the strip across the stern of the cabin structure. The mast will need another coat.

My Resin didn't arrive this morning - haven't seen a postie for a few days - so I hope it comes on Tuesday. Its coming from Norfolk not China, so it should do. I suppose I could use sanding sealer on the deck and then paint that. It doesn't need to be resined. I also need to modify the stand - it doesn't allow for the spray rails  on the chines. Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 1:36 pm

If your only looking to seal the hull then lacquer works better than sanding sealed.

The post system is a little slow recently, I’m stuck waiting for a M4 Tap to arrive... sometimes like me just have to wait and take things slow... that’s probably why I have 11 different projects going at once 😂

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 5:43 pm

The supplies arrived today - Eze Kote Resin and some servo fittings. The resin was used to give the hull three coats, so it should be ready for painting tomorrow - weather permitting.
The servo fittings just made it clear I should have waited for them before fitting the deck Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I may have to cut a hatch to allow me to complete the linkage. I struggled to do it today before giving up. I will try again tomorrow, but suspect some butchery will be required Shocked Shocked Shocked

barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 11:38 am

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1562

The hull has been spayed with Halfords Appliance white. I did the whole hull, although the bottom will be painted dark blue when the spay has had time to harden.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Looks good to me! Nice and white always a tidy colour, shouldn’t take long to dry in this weather.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
 shouldn’t take long to dry in this weather.
No - but I had to wait until late morning for it to warm up enough to spray outside. lol! 

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptyThu Apr 16, 2020 1:42 pm

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1563

This morning - early - I gave the transom and underside a coat of blue matt then left the model out in the sun. It was dry enough by 12:30 to allow me to apply a coat of gloss. Not sure if its good enough until I see it in the morning out of the sun's glare. Rolling Eyes

I've also added some padding to the stand and also some blocks to lift it so the propeller wont be on the deck.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer EmptySat Apr 18, 2020 12:37 pm

The underside has now had two coats of gloss blue. Today I decided that it needed a 'pulpit' - quite a distinctive feature of the Fairey boats. This was bent up from 1.5 mm brass wire.I then found that I don't have any silver paint Shocked bounce Shocked so it will have to wait to get painted.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1564

I then moved on to sorting out the rudder linkage. Firstly I cut a hatch in the rear deck which gave me good access to the rudder tube. I then modified the tiller so that I could get at the grub screww, and finally I cut down the rudder tube and post.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1565

I still have to decide how to fix the hatch in place. I am thinking of double sided tape, although in fact it seems quite firm without anything.

Finally, this is how it looks now. Still waiting for wheel and prop to come from CMB.

HA Kits Ocean Racer Dscn1566

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer Empty

Back to top Go down

HA Kits Ocean Racer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next