TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dean's Wacht am Rhein

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Empty
PostSubject: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 8:38 am

Hi
Now that I have finished my Slipway Tsekoa 2 (unless I can find more deck junk). and now that we have storm Dennis I have now moved onto my next boat in the stash that I put away for a rainy day Smile a Deans Marine Wacht AM Rhein, 

Has any one built the boat Question  if you have is there any pit full's that I might find Question

As I am no good at doing wright up's and my building is no way as good as yous, I will leave out doing a build log ( some will say thank god)

Fred

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 10:05 am

I wouldn’t fret on doing a build log we love people’s work regardless of skill level, it’s usually a good way to improve as suggestions come during builds that may help you.

As for deans kits ie not built that one, but from my personal experience of deans kits I will just say good luck, I’ve always found them over priced and poor especially on hull markings being out of place and very poor metal castings.

When ever anyone mentions doing a deans kit ( especially an experienced modeller,) I have my horror build pop back in my head from over a decade ago when I did the s.s Komet, the hull was twisted and 1 layer of glass ( for a boat 6 foot long that on its own was unacceptable) the hull panels were almost diagonal and all the port hole markings out of place drastically, I actually had to p38 the entire hull, re-plate it with plastic card and copper and re-drill over 200 port holes in the correct place... and that was just the hull, tv e plastic card super structure was inaccurately drawn on thy e plastic card while I needed to cut out which lead me to remaking 90% of the superstructure from scratch of the plans and finally the white metal fittings ended in the bin and I make the lot from scratch.... that kit Almost make me quit model boating after abusing 2 years of my life!

I hope that dont put you off... I’ve seen many deans kits come out rather nice but it always came down to the skill and ability of the builder, not the kit itself.

Good luck let’s hope deans have improved their kit quality.

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 11:49 am

lol!  Thumbup lol! 2thumbsup lol!    

you'd have been banned for speaking the truth about that kit manufacturer on another forum Roadrunner.........I was for 18 months, lol...….....and yet some have gotten away with far more for saying far worse things about Speedline models  over there to the point of Adrian Gosling retiring because of them!

Just shows how biased certain people are...…...….glad we are not so, on here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 11:59 am

On a more positive note...….

FRED………….you are probably a little like me............you build for your own enjoyment, and not one of the proverbial "RIVET COUNTERS" that build purely for "pot hunting" and for their own ego boosting buzz.

we are NOT  like that on this forum...…..we build and show to help others in their own conquest of a subject, and no matter how good or how bad a build is, I know that I have enjoyed my build and if I have learned something from my build I am happy...…..

I am probably one of the worlds worst and most impatient painters of a model when coming to finish it, but am good at other things.

we all have our own little triumphs and tragedies, so please don't be afraid to post your build of your new project...……..not only will you get enjoyment in showing your build, but quite probably help someone else who has that same boat and reluctant to start.

take care, and good and happy building.

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Fred - yes I built it a long time ago. Can't remember any pitfalls. I'll see if I can find a build log or any photos.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Thank's   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi Gentlemen

It is not that I am afraid to post my builds, it is that I feel that due to the time I take will just be to long for a build log. 

Roadrunner
 I take you point with regards to Ron's models, as Ron said "I will give you a kit, then it is up to you just how far you go with it",  this will not be my first kit that I have built of Ron's so no surprises, in my post I said that this was from my rainy day stash I in fact got the kit back in 1996 along with the Tsekoa.

We have talked a few times over my time with this forum and the one thing I like with this forum is That we can speak our minds without recourse, 
I to am guilty of putting down a manufacturer for what I felt was a bad kit, and was informed that it was not the right thing to do, as it could affect the sail of kit's by the manufacturer, as you said " that kit Almost make me quit model boating after abusing 2 years of my life!" 

nhp651
Yes I only build model's that I like and no way am I a "Rivet Counter" or a "Pot Hunter" at one time at the MME a Rivet Counter judge was jugging a model of a member of the AMS and he said that the type 7 flake boat was all wrong, when I asked him what was wrong, he went into all the things he felt that was wrong, I asked him if he know anything about this type of boat and he said he was more into steamboats and did not know anything about Submarines, so I have no time for them,   

barriew
Thank you I would like to see any photos of you model that you may have.
By the way how is for you up in Thaxted with this weather? I used to be in Sudbury until 1984.

Again thank you all for you words and encouragement.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 6:30 pm

nhp651 wrote:
lol!  Thumbup lol! 2thumbsup lol!    

you'd have been banned for speaking the truth about that kit manufacturer on another forum Roadrunner.........I was for 18 months, lol...….....and yet some have gotten away with far more for saying far worse things about Speedline models  over there to the point of Adrian Gosling retiring because of them!

Just shows how biased certain people are...…...….glad we are not so, on here.

LOL I did get banned.... by a tiger 🐯 and my opinion still stands on deans kits, never has my money been financing there since.

Non the less I do look forward to a build log on this kit.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Fred - I have checked and I never made a build log and I can't find any photos at the moment. I'll go on looking when my eyes recover - had dilating drops in today and they are not quite right yet.
Thaxted is OK, but its not Yorkshire lol! lol! We have lived here before and both daughters are in the village so it suits us fine.  We certainly seem to miss most of the bad weather.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyTue Feb 18, 2020 6:53 pm

Fred,

Sorry but the file of photos for Wacht is empty Shocked Shocked Shocked Not sure how that happened.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Thanks   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Feb 19, 2020 4:38 am

Hi Barriew

That's Ok, thank you for looking.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: The Start   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 8:10 am

This is my attempt at a build log on the Deans Marine Wacht AM Rehin that I purchased in 1996, I will not be doing an A-B-C log but just what I have done to get to a finished model.

The first set of photos are what is in the box.

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy311Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy411

I started by removing any excess G/F from the top of the bulwark, in doing so I found that in some places the G/F had small air holes also some jell coat broke away from the bow, to fix this I used a mix of super glue and talcum powder as a filler. 
Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy510Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy610

I then moved onto making the inside of the bulwarks smooth along with removing the mould line alone the keel, no need to say how this is done.

So ends part 1 Thumbup

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 8:54 am

Fred - I have now found some of my build photos. Most are of the finished model, but there are a few of the construction. The file is too big to load here, but if you let me have your email address I can send them onto you.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Update   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 12:07 pm

So far I have repaired the damage to the hull using supper glue and talc.
I have also fixed in the rudder and rudder post, the post will need to be cut down so that I can fix a new rudder tiller, also fixed was the rudder foot. I have also started to fix in the deck supports.

One thing that I am giving a try are the boat stands from H.A.Kits have a look at his site (www.hakits.co.uk) so far they are working for me.

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy1211Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy1311Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy1411

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Repairs to GRP can alo be achived with P38 ( car body filler) its most of our go to material for repairs and hull truing along with using it as a glue for holding things like prop and rudder shafts.

wilko do a easy sand tub for £5 which gose a long way for small repairs, they also do their own brand GRP compound which is what i use for repairs and support material as its a GRP paste.

super glue and talc are ok for smaller gaps its just very messy if using it in larger areas.. but that method works best on plastic mini models for seam filling ( if you cant use a putty) as structually sluper glue and talc can break off very easily as its bond is very loose due to the way you can't compact the talc in the glue to make a decent paste.

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 8:10 am

Hi
As I said in one of my other post I was using the supper glue mix to fill some air holes in the hull, as for using P38 to fix rudder post and prop shafts that is a big NO, P38 was designed to only smooth out shallow dents in car's, it has no structure strength also if left uncovered in time it will adsorbs moisture, I always use Milliput or P40 to fix the rudder post and prop shaft.

To fix the rudder foot I used two part epoxy resin and M2 stainless machine screws, I will more than likely use milliput to fill in any gaps.

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Update   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 2:23 pm

Just a quick update, so far I have fitted the motor and the rudder servo,  along with making a battery box which has been varnished.

I have made the rudder arm out of a 13amp plug pin, I did this as I felt that the white metel one would not be up to the job, 

The last photo is with the decks just laid on to the frame just to see how they would look.  

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy710
Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy810Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy910

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 pm

Good job on the build so far, I have to agree anything is better than white metal especially for running gear, I still have no idea why deans throw a white metal casting in as a tillar arm it’s just dumb...( along with white metal props! Jeeze those are a joke too) it’s probably cheaper to import brass bushes plastic tillers from China in bulk then at least it wouldn’t be a bin job.

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 5:41 pm

I've just looked at this on the dean's site it's a graceful looking boat and I'm going to be following this.
I prefer resin or plastic fittings i think they are more crisper looking where white metal looks a bit soft in detail.

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyThu Apr 16, 2020 8:56 am

I do so agree about the white metal parts that are used by some kit manufactures, but the way I understand it, to do a long run of parts at the best price to sell the kit and for the independent manufacturer, using centrifuge casting worked out the best cost wise.

One thing that I did not mention in my original post was that I purchased this kit in 1996 and things have moved on since then, 3D printing was just a seed in some one’s mind back then and injection moulding was just way out of the question.

As for the prop when this C19 is out of the way I will be contacting Prop Shop for a new one.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyThu Apr 16, 2020 1:39 pm

Its not only Deans who include white metal props Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Model Slipway and Caldercraft do (or did) include them. I have a large collection if anyone has a use for them.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyThu Apr 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Barriew

Just melt them down and use them as ballast😁

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyThu Apr 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Haha melt them down I just used to hit them with the hammer to vent frustration and bin em, reminds me of the time when I did the deans kommet two white mental props at 75mm dia... I remember the phone call to the prop shop very clearly especially when he told it was £100 for the brass replacements... needless to say I paid the price but damn that hurt....

At the same time as the Kommet I actually brought the tynes models harbour tug (Stan tug variation) which came with a ton of white metal fitting and twin kortz but did supply two very nice 50mm kortz brass props! And that kit cost half what the kommet did!

When it comes to kits I like quality parts I rather pay extra for a part that’s not just quality but useful than trash I have to replace at extra cost!

Honestly I think it’s just my bad deans experience with a £1000 kit that literally cost twice as much to put right, if it wasn’t for the fact it was a commission build I would have binned the entire kit within a week of it arriving. I guess that’s why I avoid doing full kits nowadays and stick to semi kits and scratch builds, hurts less on the pocket and brain than fixing poor quality and high prices....

Sorry enough ranting deans kits always set me off!

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Update   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Just a quick update.

I have now installed the electrics and battery strap, I have also started to work out were the anchor hawse pipe should be in the deck, the anchor winch is again made of whitemetel, as my instructions are from 1996 they were just a bit miss leading in parts so I emailed Ron and he sent me the new set of instructions which along with old set have made the job a lot easier.  

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy711

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy811

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy911

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Update   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptySun May 24, 2020 2:12 pm

So it has been just over a month since my last post, this is just how far I have come with this kit.

i have fitted the three decks, the middle deck is raised above the fore and rear decks. 

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy110

The engine room skylight and the steering housing, the two rod's are the steering shafts and the rivets are 16mm narrow gauge 1.5mm rivet heads from Cambrian model rail @ £2.40 per pack of 200 heads. 

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy210

Anchor chain fitted 

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy312
Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Update   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi

I know that it has been some time since I have posted, this is were I am at this moment in time.

All the running gear is installed, all the deck housing has been built, started to lay the wood deck. and the hull has been painted just need to sort out the water line. 

Dean's Wacht am Rhein Copy2110

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 5:18 pm

Looking good Fred 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie

Fred 1948 and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Finished   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 8:01 am

Hi One and All

First sorry that I have not kept this build updated, but she is now finished and been on the water.Dean's Wacht am Rhein Dsc_3010
Dean's Wacht am Rhein Dsc_3011
Dean's Wacht am Rhein Dsc_3012

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 8:51 am

That's an elegant looking build it looks like the baddies yacht from 'the riddle of the sands' I watched the other day.

Fred 1948 and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:08 am

Very nice Fred. Its smart in those colours. I notice you didn't put the canopy over the steering position.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:52 am

Hi Barriew

No I have left it off as I am looking for some figures to fit, then I will place the canopy frame and cover in place.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 7:14 am

Hi Fred,

I know this is a little late but i have only just read this.

She looks great.
You have done a fantastic job, and she looks good on the water.
Well done Sir.

Martin.

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 9:47 am

Hi Martin

Thank you for your comments. it is nice when your work is judged and appreciated by your peers.

Yes she is a lovey model, the thing I like about Dean's kits are that you can make them straight from the box or you can add as much as you like to make them your own.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 9:53 am

Hi Fred,
Do you or have you done any scratch building from drawings or do you prefer to make kits. ?

Martin.
Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 11:01 am

Hi Martin

In answer to your question, yes I have in the past, the only problem is the time it takes to make the hull that I now try a find a hull premade and just work on making the deck housing.

My last two models have been kits this is only due to the fact that I purchased them back in 1996, with the idea that as I was as working night's I would have the time to work on them at work, but like all good planes things do not go to plan, so they sat in the loft for some years, I only have two more kits to build one I got when a good friend passed away from the big C and the Slipways "Aziz"

I have had the hull of the Lady "T" from MMM since 1998 and two years ago I got the fitting kit, I must do this boat seeing as how I got onto Brian and Ann to make her in the first place, so that will be my next build after the "Guardsman" that will then only leave me three more hulls to build.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 11:10 am

Hi Fred,

Yes i know what you say about making hulls. It is my least favourite part of making ship/boat models.

I am looking forward to seeing more updates to your 'Guardsman' and your future builds.

Martin.

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 12:11 pm

Thank you Martin,

As for the Guardsman I am going to start working on her again in the next day or two.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dean's Wacht am Rhein   Dean's Wacht am Rhein Empty

Back to top Go down

Dean's Wacht am Rhein
Page 1 of 1