TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!

TheRcModelBoatForum.com

A Forum For Modelers By Modelers.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12

Go down 
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 Empty
PostSubject: Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12   Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 Dscn1352

This is my new project. The kit was bought on eBay and is pretty old. Diecut wood and not very good quality by the looks of things. The hull is ABS. The only work that had been done  was the hull trimmed to the top line - pretty well - and the rudder and skeg removed from the sheet - not very well.

Fist job was to sort out all the paper work. 3 plans - all in German. 2 build booklets - 1 German with photos, 1 English translation of text - no photos. This also includes a translation of the German on the plans. One of the plans is for the RC installation using old Graupner kit. There are also more booklets for the RC. Being German, there are also leaflets telling you what you must not do, including how to avoid shocks from the electric installation.

Next was to make a stand. Th two ends have been made from some 6mm MDF, but I need some more timber to make some rails.

I am thinking of making a new skeg from wood and I have a brass rudder which is almost the same shape.

Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 Dscn1353

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
Damien

PostSubject: Re: Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12   Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 11:40 pm

As usual you'll do a ripper job of it Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12   Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 EmptySun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Not a lot of progress today. I have drilled a hole for the propshaft and started to sort out a motor mount. Although a motor and propshaft came with the kit I bought, I don't think they are Graupner originals. The propshaft tube is 8 mm diameter Rolling Eyes This means the original skeg wouldn't have fitted but I have been able to make a wooden one to suit.
I am also struggling to understand how the rudder is supposed to go together Shocked. I have decided to use the two shells, but it seems an extremely complicated arrangement if I understand the plans correctly. There is a rod inside a tube inside a tube Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes  - I think I will just do my own thing. lol!
One bit of success I have had. I tried experimenting with some glues. To my surprise ordinary Revell polystyrene liquid works for gluing the ABS to itself, and 15 minute epoxy appears to glue wood to the ABS. I'm just hoping P40 will stick to the ABS so I can fix the propshaft securely  2thumbsup  2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12   Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 EmptySun Oct 13, 2019 10:14 pm

You should have little issue with the p38 sticking to abs... but as a rule of thumb rough up the glue surfaces that the p38 is going to be applied to to give it some extra grip... I found when building my sons hard body abs truck that if the surface is mirror smooth one bang or flex the p38 will just crack off, after roughing the surface it took quite a whallop at about 30mph for him to crack the joint when he hit the curb 😂. Still drop of glue down the seam after fixed it yet again...

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12   Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 EmptyYesterday at 11:53 am

Finally a little progress. This has been a most frustrating build so far. Rolling Eyes It was not possible to fix either the propshaft or rudder until all had been aligned, and that was not easy as the marks for the shaft and rudder tube were in the wrong places Shocked Once the skeg is fitted there is no way to remove the rudder, so that added to the complications.
I think I now have it correct - I'll know when the temporary glue has dried and I can make it permanent. There are a couple of holes to fill where I had to move the shaft and tube.

Hope fully things will get easier now.

This is the rudder built more or less as the plans except I bent the rod (which is inside the tube you see) at the bottom of the tube to ensure it couldn't slip inside the shells.

Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 Dscn1354

Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 Dscn1355 Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 Dscn1356

Barrie
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12   Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 EmptyYesterday at 10:44 pm

You don't know how happy that makes me feel, Barrie…………….seeing a motor in it...…..I have a miniature one of these half built at the back of the shed...……….I'll get round to finishing it one day, lol.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12   Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 EmptyToday at 1:39 pm

The previous glue joints have now been strengthened with P40, and the skeg fitted. Most of today's session was spent making a stand from some 6mm ply. I had made two ends from MDF, but decided the ply was a better solution. Just waiting for the glue to dry so that it can be stained or painted.
Next to think about is a servo mount. Went to get a servo from my stock only to find the cupboard bare Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Quickly ordered one from ebay, but I may be able to remove one from another model so that the build is not held up.
I think I said earlier that there is an English translation of the German instruction book. Even the dimensions have been translated to Imperial, so you get thirty seconds and sixty fourths. I have to refer back to the German to get the metric as no way am I dealing in fractions of inches 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie

Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 Dscn1357 Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 Dscn1358
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12   Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Graupner Krabenkutter TON 12
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Build Blogs!-
Jump to: