TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!

TheRcModelBoatForum.com

A Forum For Modelers By Modelers.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 am

As posted in my Josie Olsen thread I purchased this fold up hand truck on ebay with the idea of extending the handle and the base. 
Pic's will show efforts today first pic is as purchased.

With 25mm x 10mm Aluminium angle added to the base and up the upright bars ready for the 25mm wide woven strap for model support whilst launching.

Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:04 pm

I shall be watching this with great expectations Damien...……..as I also bought one a while ago from ebay for 34 quid, only to find that ALDI  were selling them a couple of weeks ago for 12 quid...…...bahhh humbug.

I also bought it as a launching trolley for my lifeboats.

so I'll let you get through all the teething troubles and then copy your finished item. lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:53 am

Gee thanks Bud.

Just discovered the slightest weight on the model support cord causes the it to fold up also causing the wheels to also collapse inwards  90 degrees more thought needed Grrrrrrr.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:44 am

Problem solved I had an A4 sized piece of 3mm aluminium sheet it was cut as per this first Pic.

The slightly oval opening at the top of the black plastic moulding at bottom was used to hold the ally against the handle assembly I used some scrap 20mm sq hardwood sanded to shape. 

Some 6mm brass rod was used for a retaining pin with cord attached so it doesn't get lost

A little thought on your models centre of balance prior to placement of model will ensure no accidents with model falling off on way to water.  
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:43 am

The extended handle attachments made and fitted with some 3mm plastic epoxied in place also fitted with 2mm felt to help lock it in place once the 6mm threaded rod and wingnuts arrive I'll determine the positioning of the locking bolts.

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:45 am

Almost complete Just waiting some wingnuts for the detachable section and the webbing for model support.

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 am

well made Damien  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 

david
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 am

2thumbsup Thanks David.  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:54 am

Finally got back to shed and finish this launch trolley.

The total handle height is 1.45mt or 4.75ft

And folded up sitting on the hooks behind my scooter seat.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching   

Back to top Go down

Modifying a fold up hand truck for model launching
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Technical Pages :: Tips & Tricks!-
Jump to: