TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Choosing motors

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Choosing motors Empty
PostSubject: Choosing motors   Choosing motors EmptyMon Nov 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Sorry if I appear to be hogging this forum but here's another question.  There's a wide variety of brushed and unbrushed motors but the supplier's websites don't give much help in choosing between them.  Telling me about rpm and torque and amps does not really help.  I am building a 36" model Nile gunboat so it will be fairly heavy but does not need high speed.  So I think a brushed motor should be fine - but which size/make?  Is there a guide to how motors are classified?
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

Choosing motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing motors   Choosing motors EmptyMon Nov 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi, not hogging at all....  A couple of questions to help decide on the motor.... 

What diameter props are you planning to use & what voltage battery will you be using to power them..

Mark..
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Choosing motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing motors   Choosing motors EmptyMon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 pm

A 40mm prop powered by a 7.2v NiMH battery - same as in my Caldercraft Puffer.  And the puffer is driven by an ancient small nameless brushed motor which seems fine.  I also have a Graupner Speed 600 but think that is intended for much faster models.
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

Choosing motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing motors   Choosing motors EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 am

Hi, sorry for the delay replying been a bit busy... Anyway, I would go for this one https://www.componentshop.co.uk/540-standard-dc-motor.html   probably a little bit over powered but that is why we fit ESCs 

Mark..
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Choosing motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing motors   Choosing motors EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Mark - thanks - is that motor compatible with a Marine 15 ESC?
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

Choosing motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing motors   Choosing motors EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi, yes that ESC will be fine & fit a 10a fuse....

Mark..
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Choosing motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing motors   Choosing motors EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 6:12 pm

This is a common question asked....

And before I answer I need more information....

How many prop shafts?

What type of battery do u want or can u fit?

How big of a prop are you using? ( this ones vital as bigger props give more load hence require more amps)

Get back to me if you want a few other suggestions.

Although a standard 540 motor on a 15 amp esc will be fine for most props up to 40mm however one alteration to the advice given do not fit a 10 amp fuse between the esc’s positive power and battery, instead fit a 15 amp fuse.

540’s tend to initially draw up to 11 amps when first started so a 10 amp will blow right of the bat when the boat is under load ( put in the water) bench testing with. 10amp will work fine as there is no load on the prop just open air! Be aware.

A 15 amp fuse will be totally fine to help protect the esc as mtronics esc’s have a built in overload and are able to handle a little extra amp just incase ( burst current)

Sponsored content

Choosing motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Choosing motors   Choosing motors Empty

Back to top Go down

Choosing motors
Page 1 of 1