TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Show us your tools

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 5:10 pm

I bought  couple of bits indirectly from ebay, I missed the auction and bid him afterwards and came up trumps 2thumbsup

Fret saw £40, it's near new condition and hardly used, in fact the packet of spare blades that came with it were still sealed.
Show us your tools SAM_1775_zps2f8250c8

The same chap had this too, still in box and never used, it's as clean as a whistle and a tenner bought it.
Show us your tools SAM_1776_zps90423e71
Back to top Go down

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 12:22 am

Both good buys Paul well done.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 8:11 am

When I got the fretsaw home it wouldn't cut straight, it veered to my right as facing it, after a quick investigation I found the blade in it to be bent and not worn at all, opened the new packet, fitted a new one from the un-opened packet and Bob's your uncle  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 am

I bought one new several years ago and found I couldn't cut a straight line and gave up and gave it to my neighbor years later I bought a small band saw and had the same trouble and took a step back and asked myself what are you doing wrong and concluded I was pushing too hard against the blade and haven't had a problem since.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 8:51 am

Yes I think that is what has happened here as there is a groove mark on the plastic bit that you take out to change the blade, gentle gentle  is the way forward Thumbup

I like Proxxon tools too.
Show us your tools SAM_1777_zpse1b00474
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 3:17 pm

I really don't have room for band saw, so I bought one of these

Show us your tools 101_0643

It combines a jig saw, bench sander with a wood lathe, vertical drill and milling machine etc. I only really use the first two, but will get round to turning - particularly masts - in the future. It was bought from ebay for considerably less than full price, and was unused.

My best purchase was my cordless Dremel. I have had a Proxon for several years, and it was fine, but the Dremel is so much easier to use. I still use the Proxon in its drill stand. I have resrvations about Proxon products, particularly the none mechanical like the stand and a vice I bought. I don't find them very good.

Show us your tools 101_0641

Finally, I wouldn't be without my temperature controlled Solder Station. This was very reasonably priced when bought from Maplins a few years ago now, and I notice they are clearing the last few at only £20 - a real bargain.

Show us your tools 101_0642

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 5:31 pm

It's good to know what others think Barrie, the Proxxon jigsaw is a wonderful piece of kit, the other bits have there limitations I will agree but I bought it all secondhand at less the half the retail prices Very Happy I don't believe in paying fortunes for stuff.

I'm interested to know more of the six in one drill, mill lathe thingy as it looks useful but I thought it to be a gimmicky type of thing, but could and often am wrong. Thought about getting one but need more form others before I take the plunge. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Paul

The Unimat is a bit gimmicky, but for the two main items I most wanted it solved the space problem for me. In theory it can handle soft metals on the lathe as well as wood, but I haven't really tried that. I have never used any lathe, so its all new to me. If I can taper dowelling for masts, then that will be a useful addition. Its quite a fiddle setting up things like the lathe or mill, unless you have space to leave them up. Switching from sander to jig saw is relatively easy.

If you can get a good price its probably worth buying, but you've got the fretsaw and looking at your models so far, I'm not sure the bench sander would be much help.

My comments re Proxon relate to the  drill stand which is a bit crude in its adjustments. Its very difficult to ensure its set vertically, and the clamp for the drill is very stiff. It is very difficult to get it tight enough. Same applies to the vice I bought - it doesn't like clamping anything that does fill the jaws.

The Dremel and Solder Station are by far the best and most used of the above.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks for your honest opinions, it will not only help me but many others who are unsure what to buy. I will put up a few other bits that I have in my work shop, I like tools 2thumbsup my friend Neil has a saying "The man who dies with the most tools wins" you need to see his workshop...............
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 12:07 pm

I treated myself to an early Christmas present Wink  or two  Cool

Show us your tools SAM_2278_zps7cdaj5lk

Show us your tools SAM_2279_zpsnds0z8ld

I am finding both to be very useful 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 12:28 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Show us your tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us your tools   Show us your tools Empty

Back to top Go down

Show us your tools
Page 1 of 1