TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tools made as we get older

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Tools made as we get older  Empty
PostSubject: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:14 am

While using a N0 3 scalpel I was dismayed to find I no longer had hand control to hold the thin handle firmly so I set about making a thick handle similar to the thick biro grips.
They turned out different to what I envisaged they are really comfortable and give so much more control over the scalpel

All that is req's is 2 - 20cm x 2cm x 6mm hard balsa and some plastic putty, a dremel with an emery wheel or rasp for shaping and about half an hour.

The first pic shows the scalpel super glued on the first piece of balsa.

Tools made as we get older  Ab11

*2 The other side is added.

Tools made as we get older  Ab12

The gap is filled with a 2 part filler the Plasti-bond I use is a lot harder than car filler.

Tools made as we get older  Ab15

Shaping starts after the filler dries the final shape for best comfort is determined by your own hand size.
Hold the handle as you would a pen and with the other hand mark the position of your index and middle finger and dremel or file to a shape that suits you.

Tools made as we get older  Ab13

Tools made as we get older  Ab14

The second handle turned out a slightly different shape but just as effective.

Tools made as we get older  Ab16

Waiting for the second coat of dope to dry.

Tools made as we get older  Ab17

I hope this give others some ideas.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:46 am

Brilliant. cheers

I have a surgical knife which frightens me to use so it's just sitting around. I shall attempt this now

Cheers

Ken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:55 am

Good on ya Ken.
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 am

Scheesh they're sharp.

I had all sorts of warnings when I acquired it. I was seriously worried as they said they were good at cutting skin. I'm not keen on the curved blade and would have preferred a pointed tip.

I shall bond up handle like you suggest and it will help

Cheers again for the idea

Ken
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:11 am

A brilliant idea Damien
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 am

Yeah they are VERY SHARP.
I have the No 11 pointed tip blades the tip is very fine though and they tend to want to follow the grain more than the curved blades. Still they are made for cutting flesh not our modelling materials lol

Last edited by Damien on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks Barry we do what we must. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 pm

brilliant indeed........just superb, Damien...well done than man.

neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks Neil
I think similar handles for my needle files is next 1/2" dowel should do for that.
Back to top Go down
pugwash
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 am

Damien you don't need to make a handle for your needle fines - you can buy them for a couple
of pounds and yes it is shaped on about 1/2 inch dowel but it has a thread and knurled nut to insert
the file and lock it in position. Quite useful

Geoff
Back to top Go down
http://geoffreyhobson@talktalk.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 10:08 am

Do you have a link Geoff I've never seen them in Australia or in tools on ebay
Back to top Go down
TonyW
Gunner
Gunner
TonyW

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm weak in my right hand Damien after my Stroke so your idea is a Boon to me, thank you most profusley cheers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Your most welcome Tony
Back to top Go down
pugwash
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:04 am

Damien I got mine with the files (but sold separately) from expo tools in Wales
but if you follow the link to Stockists they have one outlet in OZ.

Geoff

http://www.expotools.com/
Back to top Go down
http://geoffreyhobson@talktalk.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks Geoff,
I found these on ebay a bit expensive though, I have some 3/4 ally rod I'll make my own.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anodized-Aluminum-Needle-File-Handles-/330239557437?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item4ce3cfbf3d#ht_589wt_952
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Looking at the expo tools site for similar handles those ebay too aren't a bad price
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tools made as we get older    Tools made as we get older  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tools made as we get older
Page 1 of 1