TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Aero-Naut Classic

Go down 
+2
intrepid75
Roadrunner
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm

Hey guys sorry for the lack of posting last week or so, its not through lack of progress its simply a matter of letting paint dry!

As you all know i opted to varnish the base of the boat, however the stain didn't take well to the ply, i expect the ply had far to much glue in the laminate for it to take fully leaving it patchy, now as the stain is an oil based product, i was left with little choice but to enamel paint the bottom of the boat, sprays will not take to the oiled surface even with a coat of thinners applied.

Now this is not the finished coat for the boat, its actually a ''running coat'' of paint, which means this coat will seal the boats hull and lock the oil stain to not transfer into the paint layers, however this turns into a long wait with a finished paint coat, as it will take up to 3-4 months for the paint to become hard enough to smooth off ready to take a new coat on top (which will be an acrylic finish in white) so i'll run the boat for this years season once come October i'll rub down the hull and spray it up to the right colour and finish i want.

For those who want to use stains remember that oil based stains you can only seal with a varnish or oil based paint, acrylic and cellulose paints will not stick, they will crack, peel and generally cause you many headaches!

Apology's for the photos tonight my phone camera hates the light in my office

So here a photo of her Black running coat.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2055
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2056

Fitted Windscreen (with out edging strip yet to create it from brass)

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2057

Electronics installed - MFA 385 motor 8"M2 Teflon insert prop shaft, 25mm prop, 10 amp Mtronics ESC, micro 9g servo on 7.2V NiMH
(possible to run up to 8.4V or 9.6 NiMH battery with the battery tray length)

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2058

Overall Look so far

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2059

Boat stand & box creation tomorrow!!

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 1:31 am

A mighty fine job your doing Aron well done.  Thumbup  2thumbsup  Thumbup  2thumbsup  Thumbup  2thumbsup  Thumbup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Today I've started on the stand construction.

Its not finished ..

However its made up of a 23x8" 10mm ply base, covered in navy blue leather with a pine border.
I've only made up ply vertical supports for the boat, these will be replaced with 1" thick pine supports with a pattern of some sort but i have a show tomorrow so these are a 'quick fix' until i can get the real ones made up ( i enjoy taking models that are being worked on/built to shows as its it helps people understand how models are built up always a good subject to help new people into the hobby)
So the stand so far just forgive the crap ass ply for now!

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2060
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2061
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2062
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2063

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 1:00 am

Mighty fine as is mate  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Recondition is always a compliment .... especially for an Unfinished Model!!

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140413_184623_zpse95bbb8b

3rd place at the local show!!!

A well deserved 1st place went to my dad for his ''runabout'' pictured earlier in the build log here a big grats to him for his hard work and effort.

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:34 am

2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup 
 Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup Thumbup
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 6:31 am

congratulations and well done 2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  whats on the list next for building

david
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 2:49 pm

Well... this ones not finished yet, detailing still to do, which i'll be cracking on with this week.

But once this models finished it will be back to the team pair of the wee nips i've been doing along side this build..

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t887-wee-nip-build

After that, im undecided it will be either to finish the dolphin, which i must stress i really do take my time on building im not in a rush to get this ones knocked out

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t17-ms-dolphin-mk2

I also have the 'Grand Banks' hull and cabin ready to start, i had a friend of mine who dose American warships in 1:72 scale produce me a hull in GRP with a lot of detail such as the planking effects in the gel coat ( i'll pop a photo up later of this) and i've also got a pair of 1:24th canal boats from mobile marine models ready to get started and then my 2608 stan tug. . . so guess we'll see after that!

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 12:32 pm

First Run today of the boat, an earlier test showed the 385 motor was a load of crap at 7.2v, so i was fortunate to scrounge a brand new graphner 400 from my dads still in progress cruiser hes been building. Results were much better and even the spray rails were kicking the water out, overall very pleased with the performance of the boat but i would think a 30mm prop will do more justice on speed, i'll do a prop test next weekend.

Next up is just to polish the boat and add the final fittings. i wanted to wait until sea trials were finished before adding the details as damage at this point is easier to fix then later.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 DSCF4002800x600_zps7d03503a
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 DSCF4001800x600_zps837c2813

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 DSCF4011800x600_zps75c0752d
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 DSCF4012800x600_zps77ae65fc

And some Vids for you guys!

And One of Dads Boat on her Maiden Voyage

jaydee
Midshipman
Midshipman
jaydee

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Congratulations to both of you, Smashing boats. I saw one like it on the lake today but not nearly as perfect as your
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 12:40 am

jaydee wrote:
Congratulations to both of you, 

Two fold, Spot on  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyWed May 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Hey guys sorry for the last update on the post I've had a few issues at home this last 3 weeks which reduced my building time.

However yesterday i did manage to get my Father to polish the boat, & as promised a quick tutorial on how to achieve a perfect mirror finish to a varnished & or car sprayed paint job.

First job is to LIGHTLY sand the surface down with 1200 grit wet and dry with LOTS of water, keep sanding until and surface burrs or run marks are gone or you are happy with the level surface of the paint.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2065

Next up apply with a cloth some Rubbing Compound to the surface with a drop of water for lubrication, this will remove any surface marks.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2066
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2067

After that time to get the T-cut out just get a soft cloth and rub the surface this will pull back the marked surface the rubbing compound and sanding did earlier to give you the layer that will take the polish.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2068

Next is to apply a coat or 2 of Burnishing cream We have one specifically for this type of 2 pac epoxy varnish, just make sure you have the right cream for the right paint/varnish to achieve the right result.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2069

Now for the Finally.

Applying the Polish.. Using a LINT cloth. You can polish as much as you want, infact the more you do it the better it gets! this boat had only 2 coats of polish but will require probably 2 more in a few days time once i add the final brass fittings.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2070
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2071
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2072

& the Finished Results after 2 polish coats, you can of course apply more coats, or you can go one further and use a metal polish between coats of polish to really bring up the mirror, which will be the next step once the final brass fitting are in place.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2073

Last 2 photos don't show the shine well due to the sunlight position sadly.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2074
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2075

RR

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 1:40 am

Aron your father is a man of infinite patience I applaud you both for the quality of work you produce.
 2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 7:33 pm

A lovely thread.  I found this very helpful and wondered at the final finish.  

Superb...........  cheers   cheers 

Ken
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks guys, your positive comments always keep me sharing.

I'm awaiting for some final parts to arrive for this project, some of the brass fittings and the hand rails. i've been slacking last few weeks, but the model runs great and is looking the part.

My father and i are not by any means 'perfect' scale modellers, we do however both believe when something is built it is built to the best of our ability's, there are many things i for one still struggle with to which i ask my father to help and guide, mostly metal work and the same is said for my father he will frequently ask me advice on wood working techniques and paint finishes. 

By in no means be discouraged when building if you think these models are anything ''special'' anyone can achieve a beautiful model with some time, thought and by learning from others knowledge & mistakes.

Don't think for one moment that the more money you spend the better the outcome, that's not always the case. it will always come down to your ability's. and hey I'm still learning to this day, perfect example was using a oil based stain on the boat and thinking etching primer would stick to it! lol! 

For those who count the pennys like me when building a boat I'll do the run down of price for this model.

Basic Kit -£66
Motor -£6 
Servo -£5
ESC -£21
Shaft & Prop -£7 (optional this is an Upgraded part as kit proves 'A' shaft and prop)
Receiver (spectrum DX6) £36 
2pac Epoxy Varnish ( spare stock from other builds ) 1L £20 + Thinners 350ml £8 
Tin of Enamel paint £5 
Sand paper, multiple grades £0.25 per sheet (80-120-300-600- 1200 grit)
Tube of wood glue £5
Epoxy Glue £5 ish (vary's on location)
Paint brushes £0.25- £5 depending on quality (finer, softer brushes tend to give better results for paint work)
7.2v-9v NHIM battery (this model will take 7.2, 8.4 or 9.6v stick battery's) Price varys on Voltage, and MA capacity. Im using 7.2V 3000MA at a cost of £15.99 per battery
Ball joint servo Steering Arm (if not using the kits provided) £3 

Extras

Mahogany strip (spare stock from other project) £1.50 per M (used just under 2m) = £3
Brass pins (again spare stock) £0.99 for 200
White leather (salvaged from a thrown out sofa) FREE
Epoxy resin (used to seal the hull) £10 for a 500ml Kit, this is Optional I only do this for strength an water tightness just in case!

All Brass Fittings 

6x hand rail ball stanchions  £1.00 each = £6
2mm Brass rod 300mm length £4 x 2 = £8
Brass horn £4
Brass Flag Staff £3

Overall Grand Total = £241

Now please remember you can build this model using only the basic kit parts, and with a varnished finish to lower your costs, the provide fitting set with the kit is chromed metal parts, which are acceptable to use and of a good quality, I just opted for brass to give the boat an overall look. There are also a few parts on the build list you may already have such as spare electronic equipment, materials to build with, paint brushes, paint's sand papers, etc. the price list if there as a guide to those new to the hobbie, as this gives you a rough idea of the cost to build this model which i would say is aimed at the beginner!

There are many things added to this build that you do not have to use should you consider one yourself, so don't let the price tag put you off, like all hobbies, do it in stages and stagger your cash if your on a budget like I am.

Next update will be the finished boat, i'll try for Saturday/Sunday should my Brass horn arrive tomorrow.

RR

Last edited by Roadrunner on Thu May 15, 2014 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dam tho's typos!)
Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySat May 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Boats Finished !!!! First one in 4 years and it took me 9 weeks start to finish

lol! 

Today i've added the brass hand rails and then given it 2 polish coats using Brasso then 2 further coats of car polish. The hull will need repainting at the end of the season, so watch for a post for that, when i repaint the hull 'i'll add the gold line and the name then. but for now this projects all done and dusted..

Enjoy the photos guys.. oh and enjoy the shine Very Happy sunny 

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185459_zps7b9af2ce
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185510_zpse35ad37f
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185519_zpseb7b88b5
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185528_zpsaecb77eb
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185535_zps6eff4e84
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185552_zps3c466295
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185907_zpsd84d68db
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185931_zps9136c8bb
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185936_zps1c27cabb
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185945_zpsc9531bda
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_185954_zps00b6b02b
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_190013_zpsd55e5602
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_190021_zpsa25e271f
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_190048_zps6461b04f
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_190108_zpse4ce4249
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_190116_zps91e6b6f1
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 IMG_20140517_190215_zps51fa9d6b

RR

Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySat May 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Superb build. A pleasure to watch

Cheers

ken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySat May 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Ditto what Ken said.
 2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup 
 Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 1:21 pm

Well guys and girls boating season is nearly over another 8 weeks or so then the bad weather starts again mwhaha. gotta love a downer  Twisted Evil 

Anyhow I've been running the little classic since April basically and have had a few issues with it, nothing major, however mostly due motor issues, I wanted the boat to be 'reasonably' fast and i guess the video of the German guy with his whacking 2200kv brushless motor still played on my mind as to what this little boat could do... Video here as a reminder...

the graphner 400 7.2v motor was running fine at 7.2v using a NHMI 3200 pack on a 25mm prop and well its speed was pathetic. really it was. so i upped the prop to a 30mm, which to say was much better, speed was pretty dam good.. however... oh yes boys and girls that motor got hot!!! and WAY to hot. so much so that the can at one point started smoking and melting the label off the can!

So plan B.. make up a cooling coil......

yeah that didnt work out so well.. coil came out perfect but i just wasn't getting the cooling i needed, sadly the graphner 400's rated for 7.2 cant spin a 30mm prop easily with out over heating. now due to the excess heating of the motor its dragged down the running time dramatically. i was getting around 15 mins at full power from the battery and then it would just simply die off.  Sad yeah i expected 40 mins at least on a 3200 pack, and my 4500 packs were only giving me 20 mins or so.

So plan C 

and heres where the brushless boys will all get rocks on  Shocked 

I'm taking this little beauty brushless!

Now normally i would use and in-runner and there is no reason why i couldn't do that here, however as i mentioned just a short time before that German and his mega crazy brushless beastie i figured i can do better  Twisted Evil 

I haven't gone for some type of 4500KV motor... 

I've opted to instead go with a outrunner. reason is simple in runners give pure RPM, outrunners give decent RPM but much more Torque leaving me the option to bounce up to a 35mm Planing or even a 30mm X prop  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  affraid 

Now in regards to the RPM... i'm using a 1200 KM Out runner running still on the 7.2V Nhmi packs no lipos sorry guys i am still not a huge fan of lipos so its 1200x7.2 = 8640RPM ok that sounds really pathetic... however outrunners are normally used on model Air craft to spin up wards of 12" props! now imagine if a little 1200kv out runner can spin a 12" air craft prop and keep a plane in the air for 30 mins imagine what it can do to a tiny 35 mm prop, trust me i know, you have all seen the video of my fathers runabout running a 1500KV outrunner on 7.2v on a 45 plane prop.

Heres the setup... 1200KV outrunner rated at 16Amp, a 25 continual seaking ESC (50 amp burst/stall) water cooled running on 7.2v stick packs.

So anyway heres the new install photos and a video hopefully tomorrow should it not blow up, burn to the ground or crash and i sink  confused  confused 

Old Motor & its coil
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2010

Shiny new bad ass motor 
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2011

Old and new motor comparison
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2012

ESC
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2013

Inlet
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2014

Outlet
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2015

Enjoy guys wish me luck!!

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 12:37 am

I expect you'll have fun with this on the water Aron. 
No luck needed  You've done a grand job 2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  She'll be great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 10:27 pm

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL........TREMENDOUS AND STUNNING..............you have certainly shown us all a thing or two about building and finishing on this one...........superb. neil.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Evening Guys & Girls

Apology's for not posting sooner...

Heres a laugh for you lot..

What happens when you have a 2mm prop shaft running a outrunner motor and it snags on a plastic bag in the lake? scratch

Well you would think the load voltage would blow up the ESC right? 

(if only that was the case)Suspect

Instead.... It Twisted the prop shaft in the sleave!!!!! now it looks like a cork screw..affraid ( i would have posted a photo but umm yeah that shaft took a beating when i finally got it out, needless to say its now embedded into my workshop door when it got fired from the air gun as a final **** you!)

Twisted Evil

Plan B..

The motor preformed well, but i was still only getting a similar speed to the 400 motor just with no heat issues, i figured swapping out the prop to something in a plain size or X type, issues there was you cant get planing or x props for M2 shafts..

Guess this little mishap has done me a favor..

Time for new Toys Surprised

One M4 Slimline prop shaft (these are stunning shafts by the way, have always used them when given the chance)
One Solid state rubber coupling.
One 35MM plaining prop
One 35MM X Prop
One Fooking Huge hole in boat....

Plan now is to fit this beast up with a Real prop and not the 3 blade crappy shite. Mwhahah!!!

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2016

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2017

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2018

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_2019

More Photos to follow, since im doing this rather major repair i figured i would take the time to now smooth of the running paint coat and give her her final finish coat..

If this all goes wrong and the boat dose not perform its going for sale section or the bin which ever i get to first..alienalienalien

Oh and on a much funnier note.. any of you guys ever seen a DX6 transmitter spark like a biatch when you ''accidentally'' drop it in the water?

I know i did today lol!lol!lol! shame it was mine tho Sad 

Bad day huh! 

RR

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 am

How many black cats crossed your path today Aron?
I hope this is the end of your bad luck session m8.
I'd guess there were some choice words similar to when I fell on my paddle boat.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:06 pm

lol! bad luck if only, i think i'm jinxed!

Only good side to all this is that repairs are straightforward enough and it dosnt bother me to much to do them, i just wish i could have done back and did this job with a decent shaft at the start, but no biggy, just one of those things, on the other note tho it really dose show how good outrunners are for torque!!
Anyhow photo update in a couple of days once i get some free time after work.

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 12:36 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Just an Update guys on the classic repairs, shes all fixed but just requires the electronics refittings and a new paint job on the hull which wont be done now until the new project is at the paint stage ( same colour paint job )

So just some photos of the fixes 

Still in one piece (kinda) 
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_0425

New m4 stainless steel Propshaft glassed in place with a 35mm planing prop fitted (x-prop can be used during final sea trials!!) and hull sanded to bare wood (just remeber my oil based stain issue when it comes to painting!!!)
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_0426

Same motor just using a solid ruber flex coupling this time with the M4 shaft
Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Img_0427

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 5:04 pm

Well figured i would take a moment to fix the classics hull pint job early... upcoming show in 2 weeks time dictating the process.

Now in no way take any of this as gospel, because this paint jobs 100% trial & error.
remember my issue is the oil based stain on the hull panels, not a lot is going to stick to it, even the enamel paint i used stuck but i was able to pretty much peel it if in 1 go when i started the repair, i'm not sure if that's normal, I've never needed to sand back enamel paint to a bare surface before now...

Ok so heres what i've done for prep work, i have wiped down the wood surface 3 times with thinners and allowed to dry for a few days, next i gave the bottom panel 1 coat of sanding sealer, the sanded with 600 grit so it was smooth, then did the final repair work on the shaft exit with P38 sanded down smooth. then gave the boat 2 thin coats of rustins water based problem solving primer, i'm hoping this will work as a stain blocker as well as a base primer for a new enamel coat (I was gong to spray, simply can't be bothered, and not wanting to risk having to rub the boat down yet again if something reacts.)

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 974215FF-169A-4B08-9894-6E036699AA0B_zpslo43gncm

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 4991E36A-A1BA-41E4-B67D-0AC8D4690717_zpsve6ibrca

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Small update here..

Classic has been repainted in Navy blue.

I'll give her a few weeks to harden off then flip her over and put her back together. Fingers crossed I have better luck this year!

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Classi10

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Classi11

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Finally back to normal and repaired for a sail on Sunday to try this new shaft out. Fingers crossed.

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 117

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 215

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2015 5:25 am

Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 2302161080Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 2302161080Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 2302161080Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 2302161080Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 2302161080
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aero-Naut Classic   Aero-Naut Classic - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Aero-Naut Classic
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2