TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Billings RNLI Lifeboat

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 6:45 pm

Billings RNLI Lifeboat UCusxEHAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
So this will be my new project.  Shocked Quite a change from St Canute. Its all plastic Rolling Eyes I will probably build it as a static model as I very rarely get to the lake these days.
Hopefully it will re-ignite my modelling if it goes together well.

Barrie

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyTue Nov 23, 2021 9:32 pm

Sorry about the St Canute - sad there are people selling kits like that one -good luck with the new build.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyWed Nov 24, 2021 7:15 am

Pete - I've not finally abandoned St Canute, but I need something a bit more straightforward at the moment. Hopefully this will be that - its an all plastic hull and most of the superstructure. After this I will re-visit the Lobster Boat. Maybe then I will be ready to attack St Canute Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyWed Nov 24, 2021 9:52 am

Hi Barrie - glad to hear you have not given up - I have some small scale drawings of St Canute somewhere - if you scan a couple of frames with numbers and send those perhaps I can resize mine and return all the frames at their proper size to you. Can also resize the lobster boat if you needed that - just let me know the hull length. Meantime have fun with this one.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySat Nov 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Today I finally made a start on Waveney. This is basically a couple of plastic mouldings. It will be built as a static model.
First job is to trim the two mouldings. As is common with Billings the instructions are minimal and consist entirely of drawings showing each stage. Having worked out where the cut lines are, the plastic cut very easily.

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2204

Next job is to insert the propshafts and rudders as there will be no access internally once the two halves are joined Rolling Eyes

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2205

Having got this far, I realised that I should have fitted the propellers Shocked so I had to remove the rudders, fit the dummy shafts and refit the rudders Rolling Eyes

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2206

All the running gear is fixed with CA - before joining the two parts I need to decide if this is enough or if I should add some P38 or similar. 

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyMon Nov 29, 2021 7:23 pm

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2207

Today I stuck the two halves together. The instructions said to use contact glue, but I used Revell Liquid Polystyrene glue Shocked. I had already tested that and Tamiya Extra Thin and both gave a very firm hold.
Next job is to trim back the edge. 
I also started on the cabin which is built from thin ply and plastic mouldings.
I have already cut new numbers - the decals supplied are white on a blue ground. I assume the blue matches a Billings paint colour, which is not RNLI blue Shocked. I will be using my RNLI correct spray paints, although I think I may have to decant them and use a brush. The masking will be very trick if I try to spray.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2209

So this is almost the total amount of wood in this model Shocked

The remainder is from plastic mouldings and fittings. Here are the windows - not fixed in this photo.

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2210

and now fitted

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2211

Just the roof to fit. It is going to be a bit tricky deciding when to paint and when to fit the glazing. I think I will have to do both before fixing this to the deck. Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 11:45 am

I decided I was going to paint the cabin as it is - before fixing the roof.  This will make it easier to fit the glazing. Rolling Eyes I was planning to coat the wood with sanding sealer, but although I have that, I don't have any cellulose thinners to clean my brush Shocked bounce bounce So - I used EzeKote instead - water soluble 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

I also sanded back the deck edges. 

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2212

There are now lots of bits of plastic mouldings to sort out and put together. The plastic seems quite soft, so doesn't clean up too well.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 9:23 pm

Coming along nicely I'd be tempted to light it up though as I'm lighting mad Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 6:57 am

That would mean cutting into the deck which I am reluctant to do. Its a bit thin!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 12:37 pm

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2213

So I started painting Thumbup I sprayed some of my paint into an empty yoghurt pot and applied it by brush. I think it has gone on very well - not quite as smooth as if it had been sprayed, but still it has covered nicely. I can now glaze the cabin and fit the wheel before sticking on the roof.
I have decided to buy some plastic half-round moulding instead of the rubber. It works out slightly cheaper and the hull doesn't have any very sharp curves so should be OK I think.
I started trying to sort out the fittings for the mast, but there is no photo guide, and many look similar Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyFri Dec 03, 2021 11:36 am

The wheelhouse has been glazed. I was going to fit the roof, but it is too small Shocked, so I have cut a new one, but it still needs painting.
I marked the waterline, by the conventional method Rolling Eyes, and painted the hull bottom. It has had two coats. I also painted the stand. The drawings include paint colours but there is no key - then I remembered that I threw away a colour chart as I thought it was only a general Billings paint chart Shocked Rolling Eyes. I will have to check the web.

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2214

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySat Dec 04, 2021 1:04 pm

I spent some time today sorting out the brass fittings. There is no guide and many are very similar, but I think I have them worked out now. There is one missing, one I can't identify, and I have an extra horn Rolling Eyes I also painted the decks with Humbrol Acrylic Dark Grey. It isn't very good Rolling Eyes Not as good as Revell, but its all I have - several coats will be required I think. the new wheelhouse roof has been fitted waiting for paint.

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2215

Some of the plastic fittings come in two halves - these have now been joined and painted. My half-round plastic strip arrived today, so I can fix that to the hull, which will allow me to paint the hull.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySat Dec 04, 2021 1:14 pm

I can't get on at all with Humbrol acrylics if I'm brush painting or airbrushing acrylics i use Vallejo.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySat Dec 04, 2021 1:18 pm

I used this on the other Lifeboat and it was OK-ish. But its just like water. I thought I hadn't stirred the pot, but I had. I certainly find Revell to be better but I don't have a Dark Grey, and no local stockist.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySat Dec 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Humbrol went downhill badly their enamels were really poor till they moved production back to Britain which has improved things but there's so much of the foreign made stuff still on the shelves in my other world of scale static kits Humbrol acrylic is the lowest rated due to its covering quality. I'll post some pictures of my 'change from model boats' painted in both Humbrol & Vallejo.
Personally I grew up on Humbrol but my loyalty faded when the quality went down.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySat Dec 04, 2021 6:57 pm

I agree Humbrol messed up their enamels. I resisted the change to acrylics for a long time as I had a big selection of the enamels. When I did switch I tried Humbrol as they claimed they were compatible with their enamels, but the quality isn't there.
I'm gradually building my stock of Revell.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 1:04 pm

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2216

Same brand, different shade Shocked Shocked A slightly lighter dark grey, and it covered perfectly Rolling Eyes.
Spent some time painting fittings and trying to make the mast. Lots of little bits that prefer to stick to my fingers rather than the mast lol!
Next job is to paint the hull. I was going to affix the rubbing strips, but decided that would mean a lot of masking, so will paint the hull, paint the strips and then fix them.
Its my Birthday today and I received another plastic car kit, so that will be next after this is finished. 

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 1:42 pm

Happy Birthday Barriew cheers cheers

Nice work you are doing on this kit, it is starting to make me think about getting one my self
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 3:17 pm

Happy Birthday Barrie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 12:41 pm

I started painting the hull today - again using decanted spray paint. It will need at least one more coat. I didn't bother masking the water line as it will be covered by a 3mm white tape.

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2217 

I also painted the top of the wheelhouse, so that is ready to be fixed to the hull.

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2218

I also finished making and painting the mast. Its now ready for the lights etc to be fitted. These are the usual high quality brass fittings. The instructions say to paint them silver, but I think I will leave as brass.
Once the hull painting is finished, I plan to glue the stand to the hull. This model is very light, so that will help to keep it steady whilst fitting all the railings.  These look quite complicated, especially the ones at the stern.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 1:44 pm

It is looking good Barriew, keep it up

Fred
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyWed Dec 08, 2021 12:53 pm

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2219

Upper hull has had some more coats - not as neat a finish as if I had sprayed it, but less hassle in this weather Rolling Eyes Shocked. I also gave the props a coat of brass paint - they will need another.
I also touched up the deck and deck edges where the blue had run. Now waiting for the waterline tape. Sorting out the remaining brass fittings, I appear to have lost one tiny bollard Rolling Eyes I will have to search my spare box, but doubt I have anything so small.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2221

The tape arrived for the boot topping and has been installed. I was unhappy with the plastic sections I bought for the rubbing strakes, and so ordered some draught excluder. At £3.17 this is somewhat more economical than the £9+ that the 'correct' foam D-section would have cost Shocked If it doesn't look right then the model will be completed without rubbing strakes  Shocked - after all that is how the kit is designed.
I painted more fittings, and sanded down the flat stanchions which had very sharp edges. These are also to be painted - an easy job if it was possible to spray them, A tedious job with a brush.

The draught excluder arrived after I had posted the above. It looks like this

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2222

It splits in two easily. I need to close the open ends somehow, but otherwise it could be OK. It is self adhesive which could help. Tomorrow will tell.
If I can get the strakes on, I can glue on the stand which may make it easier to work on the model. At the moment it is so light it wont stay still Shocked Rolling Eyes
I can then glue on the wheelhouse and fittings, then start on the railings. The railings round the stern are an interesting shape Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2223

The rubber has been fixed to bows and stern. There should be some along the lower level, but I think this is too bulky, so I have painted up two of my plastic strips and will use them. I've started fixing some of the fittings, and the wheelhouse is now glued down.

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2224

The railings have been fitted to the top of the survivors cabin, and the stand is glued on - only with double sided tape so should be removable. With the stand taped to a piece of MDF, its much more stable to work on.  2thumbsup
The mast is ready to install, but that can wait. Next job is to tackle the railings. I've bent the rod for the forward ones, the rear are more complex as they curve in two planes Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Looking good Barriew
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyMon Dec 13, 2021 12:37 pm

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2225

I've been working on various railings this morning. Its quite tricky with the flat stanchions into round holes Shocked There are still more to go - some use thread rather than brass rods, but the ones round the stern are curved. I have also fixed some more fittings, and although you can't see it, another rubbing strake under the low part of the deck.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyTue Dec 14, 2021 11:25 am

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2226

More railings installed Thumbup The mid-ships ones still have to have the ropes attached. Once these are complete I can fit the mast etc to the wheelhouse roof, and it will be time to check for any final touching up required, then it will be finished 2thumbsup

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyTue Dec 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Do you feel like you've got your building motivation back now? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyTue Dec 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Not sure about plank on frame, but for something simpler, yes. However, I don't have anything else in view at the moment, but I do have two plastic car kits 2thumbsup

I am hoping Ebay will throw up some unwanted Christmas presents in the New Year lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 11:38 am

Billings RNLI Lifeboat Img_2227

Well its finished - or was until I dropped it bringing into the house Rolling Eyes Shocked bounce bounce bounce Should be easy to repair as I think its only CA to paint joints that have failed. 
I also haven't fitted the rescue lines down each side - I may do that when I do the repairs.

That's it for now. I don't have anything else boat-wise lined up. I will be working on two model cars similar to the Model T.  I will also look again at the Lobster Boat plans that I have if nothing else crops up. 

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 9:16 pm

Nice completion are you going to show the build of your cars?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat EmptyThu Dec 16, 2021 9:03 am

Swab wrote:
Nice completion are you going to show the build of your cars?
I hadn't intended to show them. I started the first one before I got the RNLI kit and is about half complete.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Billings RNLI Lifeboat   Billings RNLI Lifeboat Empty

Back to top Go down

Billings RNLI Lifeboat
Page 1 of 1