TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Billings St Canute

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 6:23 pm

Billings St Canute Img_2188

This is my new project. Its not quite what it appears Rolling Eyes The kit had been started - rather more than started actually, and then dismantled. I think that I am going to have to re-make all the hull parts including the keels and formers. Many have already been remade, and not very well. Others are in a bad way and will need a lot of sanding to remove old glue if nothing else. 

More photos when I've sorted it out.

To help me I've just ordered a Dremel scroll saw, and am hoping to buy a disc sander as well - got to spend the results of my boat sales lol! lol!

Barrie

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 4:07 pm

As promised - photos of the hull components. These are much worse than I originally thought Rolling Eyes

Billings St Canute Img_2191 Billings St Canute Img_2192

More had been done than I thought. I suspect the two halves had been glued together, and planking attempted.
I have three options as far as I can see
1. Remake all the hull components from 2mm birch ply.
2. Try to find a suitable FG or ABS hull
3. Tip it all in the skip and write it off as a bad buy Shocked

Watch this space....

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySat Oct 16, 2021 6:31 pm

No progress yet - waiting for materials - but this arrived yesterday.

Billings St Canute Img_2193

I guess that means I have at least to attempt to re-make the hull components.  Rolling Eyes

The blade fixing is a little tricky, particularly if wanting to cut internal shapes.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 8:52 am

Hi BarrieW,
Looks like you have your work cut out ( sorry about the pun.)
I am sure that with your skills you will soon knock this into shape.
Good luck with the build.
I will be following.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyFri Oct 22, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi Barrie - that's one of the hulls built in halves as you probably already know from the instructions - they actually work quite well - have both the Norden and the Lilla Dan built the same way - the frames are usually quite accurate so probably easier to replace only the really bad ones - in my case the two halves fitted together well - after planking - 1/2 deck holds the frames accurately - however Billings were usually quite stingy with the Obeche planking - not a lot to spare - so that could well be problematic if some has already been used - (in the case of the Norden planking was pine - also used for the deck they were so thin - believe the later kits were Obeche). Its a nice build and an interesting subject - there was one at my old club - sailed well too. Looking forward to the build.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySat Oct 23, 2021 9:29 am

Peter - I've built a few of these Billings half-hull models. They are easier to keep true than a full hull when planking. The problem with this one is that it had been built up before. I thought that they had given up when they tried planking, but no - they had actually got as far as sticking the two halves together - with what looks like Evostick Shocked Shocked

All the frames are in a bad way, some have already been re-made, and others patched up, so re-making all is the only option for a reasonable result. One of the hull halves is patched and the other incomplete. Everything has glue residues.

My plan is to cut and shape one set of frames. If that goes well, I'll cut the second so I can ensure they are identical. Next will be one hull half, and fixing the frames to that.

There is not enough planking material to do one half Rolling Eyes I will see what I have in stock. If I don't have enough then I will look for a new supply to cover the whole hull. 

At the moment, I rate my chances of actually building this as 50/50. At some point I am quite likely to consign it to the recycle bag.

The Boothbay Lobster boats keeps looking more and more attractive lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySat Oct 23, 2021 11:43 am

Sorry about that - sounds really bad Barrie - quite a lot of work to get the frames & keel re cut - plus planking is no longer cheap if you need to buy any  Have you checked all the other bits & pieces for any shortfall in those ?. With that type of seller there may be more missing - presume you at least got the plans & instructions (l have them somewhere in case you need) its the sort of thing that needs to be reported to EBay - just because the seller may have said some pieces may be mssing etc does not mean they should get way with this sort of thing .

I hope you are able to complete this build though - makes for a great model. Perhaps the Lobster boat can be the next - on my redesign of the Bass Boat the intention is to resort to a normal keel and use Les Rowells Aerokit method to reinforce it as done with the Tour Master - with the deck fitted it makes a pretty sturdy frame to keep the kinks out........

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 12:35 pm

Billings St Canute Img_2194

OK - I've made a start at last Rolling Eyes Most of the frames for the first side cut out.  These went very well using my new saw and sander - should have bought them years ago.  Shocked Shocked 

I need to check these against the originals then mark up the inner cut-outs. These are not as critical as the outer profiles - which is lucky as I cant use my new sander on the inside curves Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 1:04 pm

Billings St Canute Img_2195

Side 1 complete. They match the originals pretty well, and I decided it was more important for the two sides to be the same, than strictly accurate to the originals Rolling Eyes The inside cuts are not quite as neat as the outside, but they wont be seen Shocked

Billings St Canute Img_2196

I've also cut the first keel half. Still the openings to cut. This is only 1.5 mm thick - the original was 2mm, so I will need to adjust the formers.

I have checked the planking material. With that in the kit and my stocks I have half the original quantity on the parts list, so hopefully this will do one side, and I will need to find another 30 or so strips. Of course no one makes 1.8 mm x 5 mm planking strips do they  bounce bounce bounce bounce

I will plank side 1 and see how much, if any, useable material is left before ordering more.

Barrie

Fred 1948 and redpmg like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySun Oct 31, 2021 2:58 pm

Today I cut the outside shape on side 2 - still need final sanding and the inner holes cutting. I hope to get that done tomorrow. I also started on the cut outs in the keel, so hopefully I will be be able to start planking later this week.
I think that I may soak my planking material in water for 24 hours or so. Its mostly quite old and dry. I will obviously have to steam or soak in hot water  before applying.

Barrie

redpmg and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySun Oct 31, 2021 3:46 pm

Hot water from the tap should suffice Barrie  - soaking for about 10 minutes is usually enough before being pinned in place and left to dry. Unless you are using water based glue would suggest at least 24 hours drying time. Cyano & other types don't like anything damp............Apologies if I'm teaching grandmother. Glad you continued the build - getting on well so far.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyWed Nov 03, 2021 12:34 pm

Finally finished cutting the frames 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Just got to cut some holes in the keel, then I'm ready to start mounting the frames. I will mark out a second keel before I do that.

Barrie

Fred 1948, redpmg and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyFri Nov 05, 2021 9:29 pm

You really set yourself a challenge don't you Very Happy

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySat Nov 06, 2021 6:38 am

Yes - I think this be one too far! 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySat Nov 13, 2021 12:51 pm

A little progress at last. All the frames for the first side are now cut, sanded and adjusted to allow for the thinner keel. The keel is fixed to a board - I have covered the board with baking parchment as I thought that the frames may stick to the board. I would rather have to unstick the paper rather than the board Shocked 
The other hulls I have built using this method had solid keels, so this was not an issue. 
I have started fixing the frames - lack of enough supports stopped me fixing them all, although I found another use for Revell paint pots.  lol! lol! One more session should have them all fixed. 
I have found a large supply of very thin brass pins. I plan to use these to pin the planks to the frames. I will not remove them as I plan to cover the hull with filler and possibly tissue or glass cloth. I think this will allow me to fix more planks per session as I wont have to wait for the glue to dry before continuing to add planks, as I would have to if I used clamps to hold the planks. I will be using aliphatic glue.

Billings St Canute Img_2197

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySat Nov 13, 2021 6:34 pm

barriew wrote:
Yes - I think this be one too far! 

Barrie
Everywhere is walking distance if you've got the time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySun Nov 14, 2021 11:59 am

Billings St Canute Img_2198

Final frames glued in place. Ready to start shaping then planking. Because of the sharp bends at bow and stern, I'm thinking about using balsa blocks. I'll see when I start to apply the planks. The hull is going to be covered, so it should be OK to use balsa Rolling Eyes

I have noticed a discrepancy between the keel as supplied, and the illustration in the "manual" - this is one of Billings minimalistic manuals lol!

Billings St Canute Img_2199 Billings St Canute Img_2200

The pieces to close the back of the hull are included on the ply sheets, but quite how they fit I will have to work out. 
I was wondering how I was going to drill out the propshaft hole with the keels as supplied.
I checked the drawings/instructions on the Billings website, and they show a full hull version Shocked 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 12:35 pm

This is hard work - really struggling to get motivated on this build Rolling Eyes
Billings St Canute Img_2201

Today I managed to get three planks on. These are stuck with CA as I didn't have much time, but I would prefer to use Aliphatic. I have pinned some of them, and used my modified spring clamps.
As you will see, I have left the extreme bow and stern for filling with balsa.

Barrie

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 11:19 am

Billings St Canute Img_2202

Two more planks fitted this morning. This has shown up a serious problem with formers 0,1 and 2.

Billings St Canute Img_2203

I have also noticed that the bulwark supports are all at different heights. bounce I think these two factors indicate that this project is going no further Shocked 

I will leave it a few days, but I don't really feel like solving these problems - and I don't know at this stage what state the superstructure will be in. There have been some attempts to fabricate some of the hatches etc, and lots of other bits not very accurately cut out .

I will be more careful next time I buy a kit which has been started Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 5:32 am

Hi Barriew

That is a shame, and after all the work that you have put into this build, as you say may be a rest from it is best.

Fred
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyThu Jan 13, 2022 6:23 pm

I have finally scrapped this model. I decided that there was no chance I was ever going to build it. After much thought and searching I found a few models I thought that I could tackle, and have just received the one I selected - New Maquettes Asterix II.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyMon Jan 17, 2022 7:37 pm

Viking funeral or wheely bin drop? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute EmptyMon Jan 17, 2022 7:52 pm

Unless I wait until better weather and use the BBQ, it will be going in the recycling bin at the local dump 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Billings St Canute Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billings St Canute   Billings St Canute Empty

Back to top Go down

Billings St Canute
Page 1 of 1