TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A change from model boats!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

A change from model boats! Empty
PostSubject: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 2:07 pm

A change from model boats! Img_2175

This is my new project while I decide if I am going to build any more boats! Its a long time since I tried plastic modelling, so we will se how I get on. No build log, but I may post the occasional photo.

Barrie

Fred 1948 and Swab like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 9:26 pm

I started with plastic kits then came R/C cars and Boats and now i can see the end of the arc of my model boats I've got my retirement ready.
A change is as good as a rest Barrie you're doing the right thing.
A change from model boats! Img_2043
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2021 7:22 am

When I was a lad, there weren't many - if any - plastic kits, so I started with bits of balsa trying to make aeroplanes(gliders). Then my father bought an Adamcraft Seaplane Tender which we built, followed by I think a  Veron cabin cruiser. Then everything stopped for quite long time.
I never really got into plastic models, just the odd one or two.
I am finding this a bit of a challenge, mainly deciding when to paint, and if I paint before assembling, what do I use for adhesive. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2021 12:30 pm

For cement I use Tamiya extra thin liquid poly seeing as it's your first plastic kit for a while id go to the various plastic model forums and have a browse for ideas and cherry pick the various methods. Try the Unofficial Airfix Model Forum (UAMF) it's less full on than most for a plastic kit returner. Most of all enjoy the break and post a few pictures.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 11:51 am

Some progress 

A change from model boats! Img_2178

Take a good look at the engine - it wont be seen once the model is completed as there appears to be no provision for an opening bonnet Shocked 
There is more detail to add, but I don't see the point, and its very tiny pieces, so they may stay on the sprue Shocked

You will notice I am not the best painter Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

The instructions are too clear on what colour to paint some parts, so I may have got it wrong.

More pics when I've go the wheels on.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 9:56 pm

That's strange for an ICM kit they usually make panels on their aircraft kits to be opened up as for your painting its how much you enjoy yourself that counts.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 2:16 pm

A change from model boats! Img_2179

Some more bits fitted to the underside. The wheels have been made. Had a problem removing the flash from the tyres - still not quite right. These do not rotate once on the model - no fitting to hold them in place so will be glued. There are still two pieces to fit for the steering rod. I'm not quite sure if I can see well enough to fit them Rolling Eyes Working in the afternoon with these sunny days, the light is a problem, big contrasts and deep shadows. It looks like being overcast tomorrow, so I may have a better chance then Shocked
The bonnet is definitely intended to be fixed, but I may leave one side raised.

I originally saw a 1/37th scale version of this - I'm very glad I bought the 1/24th Rolling Eyes Back to model boats after this lol! lol!

Barrie

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 1:20 pm

A change from model boats! Img_2180 A change from model boats! Img_2181

Its beginning to look like a Model T Shocked 
I have left off one bonnet side for the present. I think I will leave it loose so it can be removed to show the engine - not that I am sure the model will have a long life. Rolling Eyes 
The kit contains most - maybe all - the parts to complete other model T's, including the hood. Seems quite wasteful, but I guess it simplifies things.

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 7:03 am

A change from model boats! Img_2182

Most of the major bits now finished, lots of small details to add.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 4:22 pm

A change from model boats! Img_2184

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptySat Oct 02, 2021 9:56 am

A change from model boats! Img_2186 A change from model boats! Img_2185
A change from model boats! Img_2187

Finished 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 

Barrie

davidjt and Fred 1948 like this post

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptySat Oct 02, 2021 6:36 pm

nice model barrie  2thumbsup like you said a change does you good.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! EmptySat Oct 02, 2021 6:39 pm

Yes David. I quite enjoyed it, but I wont be switching to plastic. I'm preparing for my next boat.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A change from model boats!   A change from model boats! Empty

Back to top Go down

A change from model boats!
Page 1 of 1