TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fishing Boat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyTue May 12, 2020 12:51 pm

For my next project I have a fibreglass hull for a fishing boat. I bought it off Ebay with a 'plan'. The hull is about 30 ins. The plan is not very complete Rolling Eyes No detail of superstructure, lots of details about how to build lots of different winches Shocked, and to cap it all its not accurate to the hull. Over the weekend I traced the deck shape from the plan and cut a template from card. This is the result

Fishing Boat Dscn1620

There was quite a lot of spare material above the top of the hull, that was removed yesterday with a saw blade in my Dremel followed by sanding. I have now marked the outline of the hull on some material and will continue to reduce it until it fits in the hull. Once I get an accurate deck plan, I can start designing the layout and the superstructure.

This is the hull now.

Fishing Boat Dscn1621

I have ordered some plastic strip to make a ledge for the deck, and will need a propshaft when I've worked out the interior layout. I intend to remove the motor etc from the Krabbenkutter as I will never sail that - it will never be calm enough for that Shocked Shocked

Barrie

davidjt likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyWed May 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1622

I now have a more accurate template for the deck. I will finally adjust it when I get the strips fitted om which it will sit. I also made a stand for it. This is made with the adjustable supports as got as part of the package  with my offshore racer from HA Kits. I've stuck the to a piece of pine board with double sided tape so that in future I should be able to move them to accommodate another model. Thumbup

I also stripped out the motor, esc, servo and receiver from the Krabbenkutter and will use these in the new model. 
I drilled a 2mm pilot hole for the propshaft so I could work out the length required. I also did the same for the rudder. I will either make this or use one I already have.
I need to order a new propshaft, but have some 30 & 35 mm props.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyWed May 13, 2020 3:38 pm

hi barrie ,

how did you find using the saw blades, as i said i swear by them, they have got me out of some tricky problems always keep some in stock Thumbup

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyWed May 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Yes - they worked pretty well. They flexed quite a bit but I wasn't trying to cut to a line so that didn't matter. The Dremel got very hot Shocked. I was going to use it to do the final sanding but I had flattened the battery so had to do it by hand. Rolling Eyes

Now I've got a fairly accurate deck shape I can plan out what I'm going to put on it  lol! I have to wait for supplies now, and I know Model Boat Bits are very busy.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySat May 16, 2020 11:27 am

The plastic strip and P38 arrived, so today I smoothed the inside of the gunwhales and fixed the first layer of the deck bearers. This is 6mm x 3mm and will get a second layer when the slow setting expoxy has hardened. I couldn't finish this layer as I had no more clamps Shocked

Fishing Boat Dscn1623

I had planned to use plasticard for this build, but the sheet of 1.5mm I thought I had turns out to be 1mm Rolling Eyes bounce bounce so the deck will have to be 3mm liteply Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySun May 17, 2020 2:05 pm

I changed my mind - I will use plasticard for the deck and have ordered some 1.5 mm A3 sheets. Just big enough for the deck, although I think I will make it in two halves. 

Fishing Boat Dscn1625

I completed the bearer for the deck. I was going to double this up to make it 6mm, but instead I am building some cross beams. I don't have too much in the way of plastic strip and I think this is the best use of what stock I do have. If I think it need a deeper bearer then I will double up some 1.5mm when I get it.

Fishing Boat Dscn1624

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyTue May 19, 2020 1:06 pm

A bit slow at the moment as I'm waiting for my propshaft and HIPS. I have added one more cross members since the latest photo, and today started making the rudder.  spent a lot of time trying to find some brass rod and tube which fitted together. The problem is some of it is metric which I have bought, and some of it (most) is imperial which I got from clearing on old modellers workshop after he passed away. Never the twain shall meet Rolling Eyes

Fishing Boat Dscn1626

This is where I've got to. The brass rod is keyed into the plastic card blades with a 'peg' inserted through it. I will use filler and sandpaper to get the final shape. I now need to buy some 3mm inside diameter tube.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyMon May 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Still waiting for my prop shaft, but the plasticard has been delivered. The rudder has been filled and shaped and is ready for installing. I have cut and trimmed the deck ready for fitting, and for some access to be cut when I've decided on the superstructure. The plans are not very helpful and I will be designing mine own - probably as I go along Shocked Shocked I made it in two parts to save some plastic and also for ease of fitting.
I made a skeg from some brass bar to hold the bottom of the rudder, and I have cut a recess in the hull to take it. I don't have the correct screws so something else to wait for Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Fishing Boat Dscn1628 Fishing Boat Dscn1627
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyFri May 29, 2020 11:01 am

The screws came very quickly and have been fitted.

Fishing Boat Dscn1629

I've also made a tiller and fitted it.

Fishing Boat Dscn1630

The rudder is a little stiff and will need some adjustments. I'm still waiting for my prop shaft. When I get that I can mix up some P40 and use it not only to fix the shaft and rudder tube but also to strengthen the deck bearer to hull joint.

Barrie

Aldo our Postie delivered the propshaft at lunchtime 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup - more progress tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySat May 30, 2020 12:48 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1632

Prop shaft installed - partly! As you will see there is no way of fixing the motor mount, so second attempt

Fishing Boat Dscn1631

I just have to work out how to fix the motor to the mount.  Rolling Eyes

The shaft at the moment is only secured with some epoxy. Next job is to support it with some P40. I will also add some to the rudder tube and the deck bearers. I've just noticed in the photo that the bearer dips badly. I will have to sort that before fitting the deck. Shocked 

I can now work out where the battery and other components go, then I can design the hatch locations and deck layout.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySun May 31, 2020 1:14 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1636

Fitting the rudder before the prop shaft was a mistake  Embarassed Embarassed

Rudder location moved and post re-installed. The inside hole is covered with the P40 holding the post, the outside will be filled in due course Rolling Eyes There is now clearance Thumbup I have ordered some brass strip to make a new skeg.

Fishing Boat Dscn1635

Fishing Boat Dscn1633 

The prop shaft has been supported and secured with a brass strap and some P40, and the entry point sealed and strengthened with more of the same. The motor mount has been glued with epoxy and some wood strips glued alongside to take two screw eyes which will take a cable tie to secure the motor, possibly with some silicone sealant to help Rolling Eyes

Finally the servo installation has been started. 

Fishing Boat Dscn1634

I mentioned a couple of times that the 'plans' which came with the hull are not very helpful. When scrolling through ebay last week I found a similar fishing boat up for sale with several photos, so I grabbed them for reference. This is what I am going to try to build.

Fishing Boat Ref2_110

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyMon Jun 01, 2020 11:35 am

Fishing Boat Dscn1637

Servo mount made and installed. Battery box made and epoxied in place. I think I have now worked out where the ESC etc will go, and also where I need hatch access, which allows me to finalise my design.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1640

All components in place. ESC still to be fixed and Rx will eventually be fixed under the deck. The switch wiring will be tidied when I've decided where to hide it Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I have cut the hatch openings in the deck, and the deck is now stuck down - I just hope I've got them in the right places Shocked

Fishing Boat Dscn1639

Now I can cut some freeing ports, and the bulwark supports and capping strips.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyThu Jun 04, 2020 11:48 am

Fishing Boat Dscn1642

A new skeg has been cut and fitted.

Fishing Boat Dscn1641

And freeing ports cut each side of the hull. This is the way they are shown on the plan, and its easier than cutting a series of small ones  Shocked

Next is cutting a large number of bulwark supports.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 11:45 am

I cut over 30 bulwark supports today. To help I modified my mitre block to help.

Fishing Boat Dscn1644

Before I could start fixing them I used some filler to seal the deck edges to the hull. Unfortunately this didn't seem to want to set hard, so I couldn't glue the suppports. I did drill and pin the ones which go over the freeing ports. I also replaced the temporary wire holding the motor with a cable tie.

Fishing Boat Dscn1643

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 11:53 am

I had a bit of a surprise this morning  Shocked. I glued the bulwark supports to the starboard side and was lining them up on the port side, when I realised that the freeing ports were not equal on both sides  Rolling Eyes Shocked Embarassed Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked I do not know how that happened and how I didn't see it before. lol!

Fishing Boat Dscn1646

I will have to increase the port side when the supports have set. While waiting for that I also started cutting the bulwark cappings from 1.5 mm plasticard.

Fishing Boat Dscn1645

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyMon Jun 08, 2020 12:52 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1647

The port side freeing port has been extended to mirror the starboard side  Embarassed The remaining bulwark supports have been glued in place, and those on the starboard have been sanded flush with the top of the gunwales. More of the capping has been made, and a coaming built around the cabin opening. I think I will paint the bulwarks before I fit the capping - it will be a lot easier Rolling Eyes

I am debating what to do with the main hatch. I was going to make it into a hatch with raised sides and possibly some fish boxes on top, as well as a 'proper' hatch for the fish. But I also thought of making it flush with a smaller hatch in the middle. Rolling Eyes

I will make a small opening in the bows to take the main power switch, with a low hatch over.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyTue Jun 09, 2020 12:56 pm

The main hatch coamings have been built and the hatch cover itself - this needs some trimming to fit better Rolling Eyes  I also made a cover for the tiller access hole at the stern. Finally for today, after a trip to the tip to get rid of garden refuse, I painted the insides of the bulwarks and their supports with matt white. I find it easier to do this before the capping goes on. They will need another coat. I also painted the deck margin in white. I will eventually mask this off and paint the deck brown.

Fishing Boat Dscn1649 Fishing Boat Dscn1648

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 1:18 pm

The main hatch has now been trimmed and a trap door fitted. I have started on the main cabin. The wheelhouse will sit in the cut-out. The inside of the bulwarks has had a second coat of paint, and the capping rails can now be fitted, although I have to work out where I am going to put the switch, so I may wait until I've done that before fitting them.

Barrie

Fishing Boat Dscn1650
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyThu Jun 11, 2020 1:25 pm

I spent a lot of time this morning starting on the wheelhouse build. There are only two views on the plans - plan view and side elevation. It wasn't until I had got this far

Fishing Boat Dscn1651

that I realised the two views were not the same Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce On the plan view the top is smaller than the bottom, on the side view its the other way round Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

As you can see its looks very strange. I could have turned it upside down I suppose, but I didn't like the sloping sides, so I took it to pieces (the glue hadn't set) and started again. There will be a slight slope from top to bottom on the front, but the sides will be vertical.

Fishing Boat Dscn1652

I have ordered some fittings for the model - primarily because I doubted my ability to make the winch. These are coming from Mastman who doesn't have online ordering or take plastic money, so I had to fill in an order form and find my cheque book - remember those lol!. It was the first cheque written for 18 months Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyFri Jun 12, 2020 12:38 pm

More progress on the wheelhouse Thumbup A new front has been made and fixed. Two sides have been cut, but the windows are still to be cut before they are fitted.

Fishing Boat Dscn1653

One problem of designing as you build is that it is easy to forget about providing for future actions. I prefer to glaze windows after painting, but that means leaving access. In this case I should have left the roof to be fitted after painting Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked I will have to leave off one side and hope that I will have enough access to fit the glazing  Rolling Eyes

I have also made and installed a mounting for the main switch and tidied its wiring.

Fishing Boat Dscn1654

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySat Jun 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Quite a successful session this morning Thumbup The wheelhouse sides finished, painted, glazed and fitted. Some tidying up required and some details to add. Its not glued to the main cabin yet. I also attached most of the cappings on the gunwales. Again they will need completing then trimming when the glue has set.

Barrie

Fishing Boat Dscn1655
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySun Jun 14, 2020 12:16 pm

Not a lot to show for this mornings session. The cappings have been completed and trimmed. Some filling still required before painting. The wheelhouse has been trimmed and joints filled and sanded. The roof over the remaining cabin has been fitted, but the wheelhouse is still not fixed. 
I realised that the wheelhouse is effectively a sealed box, so drilled a couple of holes in the underside to allow for expansion and contraction of the trapped air Shocked
I found and fitted a couple of doors for the cabin, and I have a couple of portholes for it also. I started to make the 'visor' on the wheelhouse, but my hands kept locking up so I had to stop. This usually only happens in the cold Rolling Eyes. I think the next job will be the masts, although I may mask off the edge of the deck then paint it.

Barrie

Fishing Boat Dscn1656

davidjt likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 12:35 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1658

Started painting - the cabin and the deck. I was going to use deck green, but don't have any Crying or Very sad, so it will have to be brown Rolling Eyes. I have also tapered two masts although not fitted them yet.

I next turned my attention to these things -I think they are called gallows. There are two required and as I only have maximum 1.5 mm plasticard I think I will have to cut four of them.

Fishing Boat Dscn1657

Barrie

davidjt likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyTue Jun 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1659

Some more painting this morning. I cut 3 more gallows and laminated them ready for final shaping.

I will mark the water line next and then start painting the hull. I don't have a red spray, so the bottom will be hand painted with Humrol Red/brown. I may use a dark green on the top of the hull. I really like the colour Andy has painted his latest model, and I do have a green acrylic pot. If it doesn't look right I can always cover it with black lol!

I also need to have another try at the visors for the wheelhouse. Rolling Eyes

Barrie

davidjt likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyThu Jun 18, 2020 6:45 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1660

Waterline marked and first coat applied 2thumbsup. I also stuck the wheelhouse to the cabin and painted their roofs. I finished sanding the gallows and glued them to some feet ready for painting and mounting on the deck once the hull has been painted and varnished.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 12:26 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1661

Well - after a second coat its still not covered very well. This new Humbrol enamel is rubbish Rolling Eyes Its practically transparent. Rolling Eyes I wish now I had bought a spay can bounce

I also painted the gallows and gave the cabin roofs a second coat.

Barrie

davidjt likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySat Jun 20, 2020 12:49 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1662

After three coats, the hull bottom looks OK Thumbup. The upper section has had one coat of gloss green acrylic and will need one more.
I made and fitted the visors for the wheelhouse and gave the roof another coat of light grey.

My fittings have come from Mastman - not too excited by the quality, and some confusion about the items I thought I had ordered. A major part of the winch is missing.

Barrie

davidjt likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySun Jun 21, 2020 1:00 pm

As I said, not excited about 3D printed parts if these are typical. 

Fishing Boat Dscn1663

A lot of fiddly filling is required to get them to moulded standard. Shocked

Fishing Boat Dscn1664

The upper hull has now had 3 coats of paint. Once its had chance to harden properly I will give a coat of satin varnish or lacquer. At the moment the acrylic paint doesn't seem very tough. I have had to touch-up quite a few small scratches. Rolling Eyes

I have made a galley funnel and radar for the roof, and deciphered what the item shown only on the plan view of the roof was - a rest for the boom. Once the hull is varnished I can move on to the masts etc.

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySun Jun 21, 2020 7:15 pm

they do look poor barrie Surprised . i thought this new type of production was the bees knees. i will keep to my own method Laughing.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyMon Jun 22, 2020 6:19 am

I wont condemn all 3D printing, but I certainly wont be buying from this supplier again.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyMon Jun 22, 2020 6:38 pm

Fishing Boat Dscn1665

I'm not sure you can tell from this photo, but I gave the hull a spray with Halfords Lacquer this morning. Hopefully it will offer some protection during the remainder of the build Thumbup 

I then proceeded to try to mask the top of the hull so that I could paint the top of the capping rail. This was not too successful and will require some careful touching up bounce bounce

That was it for today - seduced by the sun lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyWed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Final touch up of the paint today before the temperature rose too high Rolling Eyes lol! I will give it another coat of lacquer, but not tomorrow. I'm going to the lake for the first time in nearly nine months.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyWed Jun 24, 2020 5:01 pm

lucky you we are still only allowed to travel 5 miles Mad and not allowed to use lake till 4 july in wales. your boat looks good. i didnt think much to acrylic paint, when they first brought it out years ago it seems to brittle to me much prefer oil based paint.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyWed Jun 24, 2020 5:39 pm

I decided to try the acrylic because Humbrol enamels are so variable. One tin will be like milk, another like treacle. Rolling Eyes I only bought four colours so I'll see how they go before deciding to switch permanently. Some of this model is painted with enamel.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptySun Jun 28, 2020 12:36 pm

So - the heatwave has gone for the moment to be replaced with very strong winds Rolling Eyes I need to give the hull another coat of lacquer, but its too windy. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Fishing Boat Dscn1666

I have finished the winch ready for installing on the model. I found some silvery thread which looks a little like a steel hawser. The masts and booms have been cut and stained ready. As soon as I get the hull lacquered I can install the fittings and be ready for ballasting and sailing. 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyMon Jun 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Moved into the garage this morning out of the wind to apply the lacquer coat. so all ready for the final stages Thumbup

Fishing Boat Dscn1667 Fishing Boat Dscn1668

Not all this is fixed yet. I am a little concerned the winch is too big, but I can't do anything about that.  Shocked  I also think the main boom is ridiculous Rolling Eyes. I intend to shorten this and make it into a hoist. I have been making and painting some rope guides. The gallows need some stays. I also need a lifebelt, but it will have to wait until I can put together an order for CMB.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
T33CNO
Gunner
Gunner

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyMon Jun 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Very nice Barrie Smile
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyMon Jun 29, 2020 5:33 pm

Thanks Andy - it still needs some 'dressing' and I'm not very good at that Embarassed.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 2:05 pm

I spent the morning cutting some vinyl names. I have never successfully cut anything other than Arial down to 6mm. I wanted a fancier font, so experimented with various before I found one I like (Lucida Calligraphy), and which would cut cleanly.  I have to use my old laptop as the cutter isn't supported in anything after Win XP. 

Fishing Boat Dscn1670 Fishing Boat Dscn1671

I also put on a fictitious Registration number. 

I was looking at fish boxes on Marks Model Bits site, but they seemed a bit expensive (sorry Mark), so set about making my own.

Fishing Boat Dscn1669 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 am

Fishing Boat Dscn1672

A little more progress. The fish boxes have been stuck down and painted. The two masts have been fitted, and the rigging started - I hate rigging Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I have added some more bits to the deck, but the winch is still not fixed and I need to make some nav light boxes.

I printed the name onto clear sticky back vinyl to go on the wheelhouse as I couldn't cut vinyl so small.

I have a lifebelt on order from MMB, and I need to make a ladder for the rear wall of the cabin. It needs to be 10mm wide, and I don't have anything suitable.

The end is in sight!!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 12:43 pm

Just about there! Still needs navigation lights and a lifebelt. The winch is fixed, there is a ladder to the cabin roof and the deck has had a coat of satin varnish. Thumbup

Fishing Boat Dscn1674 Fishing Boat Dscn1673

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 11:37 am

I managed to order the wrong size of lifebelt, so that will have to wait now until I have an order for CMB. I replaced the brass portholes with some white metal ones as I didn't think the large brass one were quite in keeping. I have added a few more details and just need to get out the test tank so I can add some ballast. I have been experimenting with some figures, but at the right scale they emphasise that the winch is too big Shocked, so I will leave her without crew Rolling Eyes lol!

Barrie

Fishing Boat Dscn1675 Fishing Boat Dscn1677 Fishing Boat Dscn1676
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 6:58 am

I sailed her last Sunday for the first time. She sails well, but there was a problem with the ESC. It cuts out at full forward throttle. After testing on the bench I couldn't find anything wrong - checked the current to make sure it wasn't tripping the protection. I have to assume the ESC is faulty - it wasn't new but I don't recall any issues in its previous model.
A new ESC - Hobbywing Quicrun - was ordered and installed.
In the water again yesterday and she performs very well - too fast Rolling Eyes Scale speed is at about one quarter throttle.
I suppose that as full throttle is not required for scale operation I could use the faulty ESC, but sometimes you need speed to get out of trouble Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing Boat   Fishing Boat Empty

Back to top Go down

Fishing Boat
Page 1 of 1