TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chinese Fishing Boat

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Chinese Fishing Boat Empty
PostSubject: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 2:20 pm

So, as I said in the mini-tug thread, this is my second Chinese purchase. It cost less than £9 and, apart from glue and possibly paint, wont require any further expenditure I hope.

This is what you get. It came wrapped in bubble wrap and plastic and came within about 10 days direct from China. The overall length is just less than 25 cms. It is purely a static model complete with wooden prop Rolling Eyes

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1174

The laser cutting is excellent and there is a lot of detail etched into the parts. The hull components all came cleanly out of the ply. I think they are about 1.5 mm. The deck is less, and the planks are laser cut in 1.1 mm ply. A dry fit of the components showed good accuracy and the bulkheads were a tight fit to the keel. The deck has cut outs for the bulwark supports so ensures a pretty accurate alignment. 

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1213 Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1214

Rather than risk damage by removing the bulkheads, I just ran some thin Superglue into the joints. The deck was stuck down with aliphatic.

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1215

While waiting for the glue to harden, I started assembling the cabin. Again the pieces were neatly cut and came away from their carrier sheet cleanly and with only very small 'bridges'. 

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1216 Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1217

Next session will start planking Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 11:35 pm

another very interesting project, Barrie...…..you pick some really diverse and excellent prototypes...…..

this is what this site needs to attract and encourage new and old builders alike to participate...……..look forward to this one as usual with your builds. 

keep them coming.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 12:54 am

A little beauty Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 10:19 am

hi barrie,

the wood looks very  nicely cut 2thumbsup , very neat for its size. is it a common model our just a one of from china, as I have never seen it before.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 11:13 am

David - its Chinese Shocked. The laser cutting is excellent. In fact I made a mistake above. The planking and the thinner wood is solid wood not ply. Only the hull components and the cabin structure are ply.

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1218

One side of the bulwarks has been fitted together with the first plank. Planking is going to be tricky as its difficult to use clamps and pins. The structure is also quite fragile so care is needed. I bent the first plank using heat from my soldering iron and super glue to stick it. I will be trying aliphatic for the next plank - less risky when using all fingers and thumbs to hold the plank lol!

I finished the cabin as well. You can see the construction method using tabs for correct alignment.

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1219 Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1220

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 12:05 pm

hi barrie,

as regards the planking barrie, have you ever tried using string. I make a slip knot then fix around the end of hull as can be seen in photos then just keep wrapping it round, its some thing I have used a lot as it holds the planks tight in place some times a pin here and there helps it not to slip. then when glue is dry you undo and no damage is done.     (if you want to remove this barrie I will not be offended)    thought it might help others.

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscf9210

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscf9115

I fined it better than clamps more often than not. the tighter you can do it the better.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks - I will try that David. The first one was OK as I could hold it and run the glue from behind, but that will get more difficult.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 pm

never thought of that method of holding planks david……..you learn something new every day.....cheers for the info.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 9:17 am

barrie, 

I missed this photo out showing the wedges. if you pull the string as tight as possible as you wrap it round, you can then push the wedges under string and it makes a better hold to ribs our keel.

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscf9212

if you can put it with the other barrie ,that would be better sorry to mess up.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 11:52 am

No problems David.

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1221

This morning I fitted the other bulwark and first plank, then carried on planking the original side. I'm using aliphatic glue here - just hope it will hold Rolling Eyes. I have managed to get some pins to hold as its so small and fragile I am not sure if the string idea would work.
I know its normal to add planks to alternate sides but this is going to be a static model and bit of a twist won't be a disaster Shocked. Its also held fairly rigidly by the deck.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 11:29 am

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1222

Five planks fitted each side now. The last one on each side was shaped, and I think all the following ones will need shaping individually. Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 11:56 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Here's a photo of the model I'm building.

Chinese Fishing Boat Annota10

I've almost finished planking one side. It will need a lot of sanding and filling Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked

Barrie

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1223
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 1:36 pm

looks and always has looked from your other builds...…...far better than my planking has ever been, or will be...something to be very pleased about...……

if I build a plug from POF configuration, Barrie, I can use almost all of a 7 kilo can of polyester filler, on a lifeboat plug for taking a mould off...…...its the only way I can ever get a proper smooth finish.

god knows how these guys who build the varnished hull Scottish fishing vessels do it...……….I look on in awe, and jealousy, lol.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 12:02 pm

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1225

First side planking finished. As you can see there are quite a few ridges and hollows to sand or fill. Shocked

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1224

Another couple of planks on the other side - another session should finish off the planking ready for sand and fill. Its lucky I had decided to paint this hull Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 5:11 pm

nowt wrong with that planking, Barrie. nothing at all.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1226

Planking finished 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

after a little sanding

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1227 Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1229

and some filler applied.

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1228

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1232

After a quick sand the hull looked quite good. Just a few places required attention from the Squadron Putty. I then gave the hull a coat of acrylic primer/undercoat and a light sand once dry. This has left just a few more blemishes which have been filled. Ready now for marking the water line and then paint.

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1230

I have painted the inside of the bulwarks and can now fit the cappings. I fitted a false transom as there were some problems with the original.

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1231

I also made and painted the two winches and have tapered the mast. The kit includes a laser cut prop, but I have fitted a plastic one from stock. The stand has been painted, mainly to erase the Chinese name and the "English" one which appeared to be 4 random letters Rolling Eyes. I have tried to shape the two forward ventilators, but the smaller ones are too small to do the same. I have a couple of life rings ready for painting. The original photo shows what I assume are supposed to be tyre fenders, but I don't think I will fit those. Similarly the supplied laser cut anchor appears too big to me, so I wont be fitting that either.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 pm

that IS A NICE  looking hull, even before the filler.....

excellent job.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Yes - once I'd sanded off the filler it looked pretty good. Thumbup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1233

I've started painting the hull. Top part has had two coats of satin white.

I also made the mast and painted it. The ventilators have been painted white and the life rings also. They need red adding when the white dries. I haven't fitted the bulwark cappings as I think I am going to stain them so will wait until the hull is painted.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Looking rather splendid there young chap  Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Dave
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 5:36 pm

The hull bottom has been painted - hope its covered OK as I don't have much of that colour left Shocked The ventilators and life rings are painted ready for fitting tomorrow. I think I should be able to complete this tomorrow. 2thumbsup

Barrie

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1234
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 pm

you build 'em too quickly matey...…..you'll be running out of projects.  affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 am

I know Neil, but the last three have not had much to do really compared to your lifeboats. I don't have any more projects lined up so will take a break for a while. I have ordered another of these as I think it should be possible to get a better hull having built one. I am also considering four different kits, but haven't made a decision yet.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1236 Chinese Fishing Boat Dscn1235

Completed 2thumbsup. I'm quite pleased with it, but think I can certainly do better with a second one. The instructions were not clear in a few places, particularly where the bulwarks fit. I started with a plank at deck level, when I think the bulwarks should have gone on first. So that and more care with the planking for the second one!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Looking rather good there awsome in fact 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:25 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Really nice Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:25 pm

I agree with all your comments...…...a superb build of a very neat nice looking boat...…...roll on your next conquest Barrie. 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fishing Boat   Chinese Fishing Boat Empty

Back to top Go down

Chinese Fishing Boat
Page 1 of 1