TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan

Go down 
+2
inertia
barriew
6 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Empty
PostSubject: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1576

I made a start on this today. It is mainly a balsa core, with 1/16th mahogany for some parts. The skins for the hull are plastic - so a multi media kit lol! The balsa is very soft, so care is required. The mahogany is also fragile, but the instructions appear to advise when strengthening is required.
The instructions are quite comprehensive, and written in a very chatty style - I'll try and quote some later.

This is where I got to this morning. I need to go slow as I don't think it will take too long to build.

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1578

Barrie

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 1:16 pm

These are the construction diagrams with this kit. I wish all manufacturers' were as good and clear.

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1580

As I said some of the balsa is very fragile and today I broke two pieces. Luckily they were clean breaks and have re-stuck.  This is where I'm at.

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1579

Next stage is to add the sheer and chine stringers. That should add some rigidity to the structure. After that the plastic skins go on which will protect the balsa core.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySat Apr 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1581 Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1582

Sheer and stringers installed - not without some breakages Embarassed. The instructions say to sand off the bumps on the sheer, but that will bring them inside the bulkheads Shocked I need to give it some thought Rolling Eyes When I've sorted that out, the next job is to add the skins. That will cover up all the balsa 2thumbsup

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySun Apr 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1583

The two bottom skins applied today, and much more balsa broken bounce bounce bounce bounce Shocked . I can't see why they used it especially in the orientation they did. Its almost impossible to get any grip on the hull without risking breaking something. I have strengthened some bits with ply. Once the side skins are on it should be better, but before them there are the bottom skins to trim Rolling Eyes bounce bounce

Barrie

Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySun Apr 26, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi Barrie

My only experience with a Dumas kit was much the same as yours i.e. amusingly folksy, "down-home-y'all" instructions and pretty clear drawings, but where do they get such useless, soggy balsa? Now you can see why some of us turn to liteply for such jobs. Every single plank in the Lord Nelson Victory Tug kit ended up binned, along with many of the parts which were die-crunched from packing-crate material masquerading as plywood. The plastic supplied for much of the superstructure was a strange, dense foam sheet which was brittle and very heavy. I planked the hull with obechi and glassed it, but gave up in the end and sold the thing. I saw the chap who bought it quite recently and he'd parked it on a shelf until he summons up the enthusiam to do anything more to it!
Hope yours has a happier ending, mate.
Dave M

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySun Apr 26, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks Dave. I knew you had had problems with Dumas. I think when I get the side skins on it will be OK. Its not intended as a working model so should be OK. The roof is balsa so I may have to remake in liteply, but otherwise I think I've finished with the stuff Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Well, the problems continue Shocked After a lot of hassle, the side skins are on, but only after re-making and repairing various balsa pieces.

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1585 Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1584

The gaps at the bow are to be filled with balsa blocks. As you can see there is quite a bit of trimming to do Rolling Eyes

It really is a pity that such inappropriate materials were used for this kit. It would make a very nice model if liteply had been used instead of balsa. 

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am

Great work so far given you issues, keep it up, really enjoying your build!

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 am

Bow blocks added (using my own balsa. The kit piece was rubbish) After sanding and first filling, this is where I'm at. Fine filler added waiting to harden.

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1586 Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1587

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyThu Apr 30, 2020 11:53 am

After more sanding and filling at the bows, I turned to the cabin sides. Thanks to all the problems with breakages of the balsa I had fun getting them to fit in the slots Shocked. I also made a new transom. The kit one was mahogany which would have required lots of work to get to match the sides, so I made one from plasticard - it still needs some trimming.

Barrie

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1588 Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1589

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyFri May 01, 2020 1:09 pm

The transom was trimmed and more sanding of the bows - still not very happy, but it may have to do Rolling Eyes. The fore deck was stuck with epoxy as my CA didn't arrive in time.
I then moved on to the side decks which required lots of sanding to get a good fit to the cabin sides. Finally the rear deck was added and all trimmed flush with the hull sides. At the bow there some 'ears' which fit on top of the deck. These will be the next job, followed by a rubbing strip of 1/16th half round plastic strip Shocked The instruction suggest this should be painted silver Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1590 Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1591

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySat May 02, 2020 2:10 pm

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1592 Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1594

I have now finished the decks, including in the well. These have all been varnished with satin varnish. The cabin front windows have been installed after much fiddling and the use of some mahogany plastic wood Rolling Eyes. The cabin sides have had two coats of gloss varnish. I can now glaze the windows. I have started to understand how the roof fits. Its in three parts and is requires shaping. Its made from balsa so will not be fitted until I have finished the hull, including painting as I don't want it to collect any 'dings'. I will treat it with resin, but I don't think that will be sufficient.

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1593

Finally today I had a look at the fittings - not very good Sad. Lots of flash and a much harder material than UK white metal fittings. As you will see. the wheel is missing part of a spoke  Shocked

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1595

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySun May 03, 2020 12:22 pm

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1611

The windows have been glazed Thumbup The instructions actually suggest painting them black, which I would have done anyway.

I also finished the rear well, except for painting the seat cushion.

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1610[/

Looking again at the fittings, its going to be difficult getting a good finish. It is very hard material. Also there are flagstaff fitting which have to be drilled, and the instructions imply they may split rather than drill Shocked Shocked Shocked

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyMon May 04, 2020 5:54 am

Really fast progress on this Barrie! I was only awol for a day 😀 great work so far, turning out to be a nice looking boat.

Aron

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyMon May 04, 2020 12:58 pm

I'm trying to go slowly RR, but its not a big or complicated model Very Happy 

Today I added the rubbing strips - 1/16th half round plastic. I think 1/8th would have been better, but that is what is supplied. I also cleaned up the prop and rudder and fitted these. Cleaning some of the other fittings is going to be extremely challenging as they are so small, and the metal is hard.
I also gave the upper hull a coat of satin white - acrylic this time. I decided I would give it a try as Humbrol enamel is so variable in consistency. Some tins like water, others like treacle Shocked

Barrie

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1612

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyTue May 05, 2020 11:48 am

Not too much progress today. I marked the waterline then gave the underside a coat of dark blue. This is enamel as I don't have an acrylic version of this colour.  It will need another coat.
I next turned my attention to the fittings and cleaned them up as well as I was able - they are very small and the metal is very hard Rolling Eyes. They have now been painted silver, except for the wheel.

Barrie

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1613

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyThu May 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1614

The underside of the hull has now had 2 coats of paint, and the sides three of Satin White Acrylic. This appears to come out of the pot with lots of limps. It does smooth out, but rather strange Rolling Eyes.
Next job is the get the cabin roof sorted. It was a little short on one side which is strange Shocked  I have glued a strip of balsa on the back and tomorrow I will have a go at shaping it.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyFri May 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1615

The cabin roof is now fixed. 

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1616

and has had several coats of resin. It will need several more Rolling Eyes 

Last lap now. The windscreen is ready to fit after the roof is smooth and painted.  The fittings are painted and ready. I have ordered a new plinth as the one supplied is too large and flimsy - just vac-formed plastic. 

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySat May 09, 2020 1:41 pm

Final touches today. Several coats of satin white on the roof and part of the sides. The latter not too impressive due to the heavy grain of the mahogany. Fittings attached. There should be a bollard on the bows but it snapped trying to remove the flash Rolling Eyes. I will search my bits box to see if I have a suitable one. Also there should be a skylight on the bows, but it looked ridiculous so I haven't fitted it.

Considering the quality of the supplied material I am quite happy with the result, although I will NOT be buying any more Dumas kits Shocked

Barrie

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1617
Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Dscn1618

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySat May 09, 2020 3:29 pm

hi barriew

you are flying through these kits at a rate of knots 2thumbsup .  this one looks like a nice show piece, do you have a lot of room to show them. my trouble is i have got over thirty boats all in boxes as i have no were to show them scratch
you certainly look like you are enjoying your self in this lock down hope the next one is as interesting and stay safe in your man cave 2thumbsup

david

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySat May 09, 2020 6:32 pm

David,
This was a really simple model. If the materials had been any good it would have been finished even quicker, so I should be pleased they were rubbish lol!
I only built this because I wanted to build the static version of Andrea Gail by Billings, but nobody had it in stock. Of course as soon as I bought this I found a fibre glass hull of a fishing boat on Ebay. This is my next project. That will be a more difficult build as the hull is not very good, and the plan is incomplete Shocked I will have to design quite a bit of it myself.

As for display, most of my models are in my workshop, but I have three on display in the house, and four more in my study. I don't think I will be allowed any more in the house. Rolling Eyes I have had to move the ones I built for my grandson into the garage. Once we get some more freedom I will have to try and sell some!

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySat May 09, 2020 10:09 pm

Another great model there Barrie, great work as always, thanks for sharing!

Back to top Go down
zooma
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySat Jul 04, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi Barrie,

I have read your build blog with some interest as I am also working on a Chris Craft model that was built from an American kit - and it too was made from some pretty poor and fragile materials - so I found the similarity with your Dumas kit very interesting!

My 48" Corvette model was built from a Sterling kit that dates from 1954 and was rescued from a skip (which is where is probably should have stayed) and the lockdown was probably the only thing that saved it as I wanted something to keep me occupied - and this has certainly done that!

Although this is a big model it was mainly built from balsa wood and the construction reminded me more of a flying model aircraft than what would normally be expected to be used in a large model boat. 

Some very thin low grade plywood was used for the cab sides and decking but it had not aged well as it crumbled and/or delaminated as it was touched so it was actually weaker than the balsa wood - and that was not good!

I ended up trying to glue all the different delaminated shards of ply back together again to give me some of the the shapes before I could remake them in better quality plywood before I could replace them.

The size of the boat obviously tempted the last owner to give it some serious power and a large single cylinder two stroke engines was bunged into it Evil or Very Mad . Sadly the planked balsa hull became fuel soaked and as it dried-out over the following years this caused the balsa to be as brittle and weak as the plywood so it really was a basket case!

I have replaced the cab sides with 3mm plywood and re-skinned the decks with 1/16 ply .  I have replaced the missing sections and doubled the remaining fragile balsa wood hull formers with new 1/4" balsa wood and replaced some of the planking with hardwood planks that I striped from an off-cut of oak that I found laying about in the workshop (shed). Sections of the split and soggy balsa wood keel have been replaced with 1/4" ply so it is now substantially tougher than when it was new............but I still have a long way to go.

Some of the cast fittings have (surprisingly) survived, but unlike yours these are quite soft and are very heavy so I suspect that they have a lot of lead in them - perhaps because lead would have been cheap at the time and easy to cast?

My thoughts are that this large (and at the time expensive) kit probably had similar poor quality (fragile) materials when new, and this could have been comparable to the Dumas kits of today........

Stay safe!

Bob.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptySun Jul 05, 2020 6:28 am

Hi Bob
Yes - steer well clear of Dumas. The only good thing about them is the instructions which are written with humour and by someone who actually built the kit. I'm not sure the latter is always the case lol!
The fact the material was such rubbish actually worked in my favour as it extended the build time.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
zooma
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi Barrie,

.........have you ever heard of a good quality American model boat kit?

The only ones I have ever seen have all looked good when completed - but have been supplied with rubbish quality materials!

I did think that the early Sterling kits bad quality wood selection could have been due to shortages following the war etc, but it looks like model boat kits from the USA often have the lowest quality wood chucked in the box!

Stay safe!

Bob.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 4:23 pm

Yes Bob - MidWest - but they've stopped making kits. This went together vey well, and DaveM (Inertia) commented on the quality of one of their kits he built.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t1502-american-coastal-tour-master

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 10:58 am

Well barrie,
you have made a real good job of her considering the problems you have been having with this kit.
Nice work and an entertaining read thank you.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 11:15 am

Would you like it? Its going in the skip soon!!

Barrie

zooma and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan   Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan Empty

Back to top Go down

Chris Craft 24 ft Sedan
Page 1 of 1