TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dockbuster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) Empty
PostSubject: Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) EmptySun Nov 17, 2019 6:51 pm

I just started a Dumas Jolly Jay and are questioning their recommendations for sealing and finishing the balsa plank hull. I'd prefer not to use glass cloth and would like a sandable resin type product that can a receive a quality paint finish. Dumas recommended products seem to be out dated and some  are no longer available. I'm looking for current recommendations and their success stories. Many thanks....
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) EmptySun Nov 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Try aircraft tissue and dope or sanding sealer. You can use resin instead if you wish. Easier to apply than glass cloth.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) EmptySun Nov 17, 2019 7:43 pm

barriew wrote:
Try aircraft tissue and dope or sanding sealer. You can use resin instead if you wish. Easier to apply than glass cloth.

Barrie

much easier, and not half as much mess, especially using in confined spaces.
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 5:29 pm

Hope this helps.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

However the balsa planking in the only Dumas kit I ever had was so soft that nothing except resin and epoxy would have toughened it enough for even moderate handling. I replaced it all with obechi.

DM
Back to top Go down
titanic12
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Hi   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) EmptyMon Dec 09, 2019 4:47 pm

As well as the other solutions, (I have done a lot of tissue/dope with aircraft) I would first give the hull at least one good coat of water proof PVA/aliphatic resin. It should seal and strenthen the balsa.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) EmptyMon Dec 09, 2019 7:03 pm

titanic12 wrote:
As well as the other solutions, (I have done a lot of tissue/dope with aircraft) I would first give the hull at least one good coat of water proof PVA/aliphatic resin. It should seal and strenthen the balsa.

all in favour of Aliphatic resin...…….love the stuff, but never thought of watering it down for a sealant...…..I learn something new every day.
Back to top Go down
titanic12
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) EmptyMon Dec 09, 2019 7:57 pm

I actually don't water it down, use it neat.
Back to top Go down
samc
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: I have a dumas Chris Craft commander   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) EmptyTue Dec 10, 2019 1:11 am

It has 1/2 strips of balsa for the sides. i wish i had put on thin layers of plywood or something else
i have been trying to finish it for a long time. 
dumas said cover the hull with Bodo 3m stuff for cars. it is a filler. a quart will 
do a 2-3 boats. 
then a another thinner filler 
i still can not get a good finish. spared a filler / primer, to fill in the little 
hole or lines on the side of the hull.
have done this several times also. hard to get all of the imperfections out. 
very hard. 
never tried airplane tissue don't know how you would do that
the bodo will seal everythng up I have no leaks 
you have to become a car body expert 
to get a good finish...i think.
how you guys do it i don't know 
have tried everything i have read and asked questions
and i'm still working on the hull. 
will be looking for your picture of your boat. to see how you made out
samc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) EmptyTue Dec 10, 2019 1:27 am

have a good read of our moderator Barrie's builds often in balsa or obeche,,,,,,,,,,a similar soft hard wood...…...and look at his finishing.

some very good tips on his build blogs,
that's what we are here for. 
good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)   Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC) Empty

Back to top Go down

Hull finishing for plank balsa boats (RC)
Page 1 of 1