HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Cutting board for straight cuts to balsa & styrene

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Cutting board for straight cuts to balsa & styrene   Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:21 am

After ruining lots of costly materials with the ruler slipping mid cut I searched the odds & soda box for a solution I thought of a pan brake without the bend facility.
I came up with a bit of 6mm x 9mm carbon steel bar with 6mm holes about 300mm apart a piece of 19mm chip board 2 x 1/4w bolts & 2 captive nuts to suit.

After some time the knife marks in the chip board became rather deep so I cut an old cutting mat in half it has worked well for several years.

After using the holes drilled in steel as a quide for holes in the base board the back wes recessed to take the captive nuts.

With a card writhing book cover to show assemlbled for use.

Not pretty but functions well, in hind sight 1/2" steel angle would be better than the hardened steel I used as it tends to lift in the middle if over tightened.

I hope this will be useful to some fellow modellers.
Damien
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Cutting board for straight cuts to balsa & styrene   Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Quite a neat solution. Well done.

I used to G clamp a steel bar at each end to the bench but your idea is much better. cheers

Thanks,

Ken
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Cutting board for straight cuts to balsa & styrene   Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:30 pm

I once nicked an old planer thicknesser blade from a machine at work.......about 22 inches long...........it was surplus to requirements as the planer had been condemmed........it makes a superb straight edge for cutting because of the bevelled cutting edge......sad thing is I have to clamp i to anything as it would be too hard to drill through, being carbon steel..........but I like the idea damien.

neil
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Cutting board for straight cuts to balsa & styrene   Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 am

Do you know anyone with a welder that could add a tab on each end for the screws ?
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Cutting board for straight cuts to balsa & styrene   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Damien,

I would go for Wing nuts and hex bolts. I use this idea on my bandsaw guide. Ideal for quick setting up.

I was looking at my aluminium ruler that I've been using for the smaller stuff and found it's been wearing away so as to Not give a straight edge any more. Tends to ruin the lining up after cutting. Ho Hum.

Cheers

ken
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Cutting board for straight cuts to balsa & styrene   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:17 am

It's a shame that our tools keep pace with us as we age. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cutting board for straight cuts to balsa & styrene   

Back to top Go down

Cutting board for straight cuts to balsa & styrene
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Technical Pages :: Tips & Tricks!-
Jump to: