TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Plank on frame help

Go down 
+2
barriew
AlanP
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Plank on frame help Empty
PostSubject: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyMon May 27, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi All, Back to building a boat (I hope) after building the Shrimper (on this site)quite awhile ago now, I fancied something similar, so I have gone for the M Y Scarbh free plans in MB Oct 2009.
All has gone well until I dry fitted the frames onto the keel on the building board. From the bow frames 15 to frame 8 (8 been the centre frame) are looking alright, but frames 7 to 1 I can see the deck line is too high,  I think this might be called the sheer line, not sure though, but its where the deck will sit.
I have given myself a bad head trying to figure out what I have done wrong, the drawing shows a line down the centre of the keel with frames 7 to 1 shown on the left , with the keel been lower on this side.
I know there are some clever people on this site so I am hoping someone will say, you silly old sod, you should have done this Very Happy

Plank on frame help Dscf4016
Plank on frame help Dscf4017
Plank on frame help Dscf4015
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyMon May 27, 2019 6:17 pm

Alan,

I'm no expert. All my POF builds have been from kits not plans, but I assumed that one side view was from the bow, the other from the stern.
Not sure if this helps Rolling Eyes 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyMon May 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Thanks for the reply Barrie but I cant see how that would make any difference, perhaps I am still missing something that is obvious, but thanks anyway.

Alan
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyMon May 27, 2019 8:13 pm

Do I have the keel (side view of the plan?) the keel in the photo showing bow and bulkhead s has the aft sections on a lower keel position ( usually a raise) which might be the source of the issue.... as the tops of the bulwarks are different heights as the bulkhead progress front to stern meaning their heights in a base board must be correct... ( in other words I think at a rough guess all your bulkheads are at the same heigh giving u and incorrect sweep

AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyTue May 28, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks for the reply Roadrunner, please forgive me for been so thick, but I am still struggling to get my head around this. I think the aft bulkhead legs that go onto the building board are to long by 5mm, as I used the same building board line (shown as a pencil line on the drawing) so if I take 5mm off all of the aft bulkhead building board legs this would make the deck line about right, but the only trouble I can see with this fix is that the planking line at the keel would alter, the rabbet line does not appear to be shown on the drawing. I will understand if you want to wash your hands of this thread Sad

AlanPlank on frame help Dscf4018
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyWed May 29, 2019 3:13 pm

It doesn’t look that far off however I do believe a few of the bulkheads are either to long or to short which is giving you the drastic drop offs at deck level, my only suggestion is to pull each frame off and check and recheck their heights in regard to the plan and location...

Also decks will be very shallow curvatures so any sudden drop off ( that is not an official raised deck section) needs to be investigated

It’s very hard to judge but this dose look like a few of the bulkheads are either in the wrong position or just the wrong height.

Without being their to take measurements and scale conversion ( if nearsary) then I can only suggest to recheck over and over... as a suggestion in future make up cardboard templates first like I do... only takes some scissors and tape to fix and error!

AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyWed May 29, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply, I will take your advice, so its back to the drawing board and check everything, if I can source some cardboard I might make a set of bulkheads to have a play with.

Thanks again.
Alan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyWed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Had a very similar problem with a Raf boat I am building a couple of the bulkhead slots seemed out of line so I asked Nel to have a look and he had megga trouble in making new ones nad getting all the stringers to fall in line with each other,,,,,if this makes sense,the plan was slightly out.....Maybee this could be the case with yours

Dave
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyThu May 30, 2019 4:35 pm

You could be right Dave, but I think it is something to do with the legs going onto the building board, I have traced all the frames to the same building board line, and for some reason that I haven't figured out yet, this is wrong.
If I remember right, I had the same trouble with a RAF crash tender, but I must have sorted it as it won all the silver at a show.

Alan
Plank on frame help Wp_20110
Back to top Go down
basilsdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: frames   Plank on frame help EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 4:42 pm

hi Alan I have built a few plank on frame boats from scratch and in my limited opinion I think you have frame 2onwards in the wrong place they appear to far down the keel to me?. the drawing looks to have frame 2 level with the propeller tube and the rest follow from that. easy fix just add blocks to the bottom of the frames to lift and I think this will solve your problem?

mauricew
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 3:49 pm

Thanks for the reply basilsdad, I have been away in Sewerby near Bridlington and for some unknown reason my laptop wouldn't connect to the internet, hence the delay in replying.
Back home now and once I have sorted the allotment out I will give the boat a good coat of looking at.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Alan
Back to top Go down
bluebird
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 9:02 am

Hi there
Having built a few plank on frame models and a good number from James Pottinger plans; may I suggest this be a problem that I myself had come across on one or two free James' plans which were free in Model Boats magazines - i.e. misalignment of frames.   I believe this is caused by the printers who digitally print these plans.  I have had to correct these mistakes myself.  The way I do this is plank the hull to deck level removing the hull from the building board and then sand the frames true to the deck shape.  I then add the deck and bulwarks to complete the model.   If you go over to Mayhem forum and look in the masterclass build at the Spashette build you will how I actually do this method.

John
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 9:06 pm

good to see you posting on here John...….if anyone can talk about plank on frame, or any type of build ...it is you...………..

have been in admiration of your creations for some time now.

what are you building at the moment...…………….would love to see some of your work on here.

neil.
Back to top Go down
bluebird
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 12:27 pm

Plank on frame help Dscn1011
Hi Neil this is the new one ,a revamp of a old plan from the 1980s
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 12:19 am

superb, john...…..a lovely looking model.

how long did that take you to build.
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Sorry for the late reply John, I will study your build on the other site Very Happy and see if it throws any light on my problem.

Alan
Back to top Go down
stafen
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help EmptyThu Jun 04, 2020 9:13 am

bluebird wrote:
Plank on frame help Dscn1011
Hi Neil this is the new one ,a revamp of a old plan from the 1980s

That Design is impressive, I think It could be modify in the side section!  Then It looks more interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plank on frame help   Plank on frame help Empty

Back to top Go down

Plank on frame help
Page 1 of 1