TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Design & Build!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 2:19 pm

OK, I said no more build logs for a while, but I thought I would start this and see if anyone is interested.
You may remember just before I went on holiday last month, I said I had promised my almost 4 years old Grandson that we would build a boat, and that I was going to try to design it whilst on holiday.

This is what I came back with
Design & Build!! 101_0551 Design & Build!! 101_0552

From this I have started cutting out some of the parts
Design & Build!! 101_0553

and made a more complete plan.
Design & Build!! 101_0554

It is loosely based on a Fairey Huntsman type, as this is what he wanted. Initially it will have a simple motor with a switch, but if successful, I think there will be room for R/C.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 12:29 pm

I have now cut all the parts for the hull - just need a Grandson to start putting it together Very Happy Laughing

Design & Build!! 101_0572Large_zps59982833

I was going to use balsa but had some liteply in stock so I am using that. The hull sides and bottom will be in 1 mm ply. I had all these materials in stock so only need a propshaft and motor.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 6:51 am

Well, Grandson soon lost interest in the build, so I guess I will complete it myself. I suppose 4 years is a bit young and Lego is more immediate.
This is the current position,
Design & Build!! 101_0510 Design & Build!! 101_0511

I need to make a mount for the motor next. The propshaft angle may be a bit steep, but I'm not looking for max performance and I wanted the inboard end above the water line. There will be room in the cabin to accommodate the motor.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 1:42 pm

I've made a start on fitting the skins. One side completely fixed - part with aliphatic, part with Cyano. The other side is part fixed, just the bow area to fix on the next session. I couldn't finish it today as I'm out of cyano Rolling Eyes \Luckily I plan to go to Leamington Spa tomorrow to visit te International Model Boat Show. The forecast looks promising, so I expect to be there. 2thumbsup

Barrie

Design & Build!! 101_0512 Design & Build!! 101_0513 Design & Build!! 101_0514
Back to top Go down

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 9:33 pm

Coming along nicely Barrie 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks Damien - I'm quite pleased with it so far. I'm having to make some of it up as I go along, but I think it will work. Wink

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 11:04 am

I am always interested in builds on here..................if there were none, I wouldn't learn new techniques............good on ya barrie, and please keep posting.

It wasn't so long ago that I had to go back to the true basics of model boat building to build with the only materials available when I started 50 odd years ago.....skinning on a frame that you are doing.............hadn't done that for a lifetime...and by reading you guys' posts I was able to do as needed. neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 6:08 pm

After a few days enforced idleness due to a virus, I was back in the workshop today Thumbup  I have finished skinning the hull. It looks a little strange at the bow - will have to get busy with the filler Laughing When I've finished with the filler, I will give it a few coats of resin. I am a little concerned about the joint at the chine. The lower hull is sealed so if water gets in, it wont get out Shocked

Next job is to make and fit a motor mount and a rudder. The superstructure will depend on my client Laughing Laughing  I was going for a Fairey Huntsman style, but I think he wants a Fireboat. I bought some micro switches and servo to make a simple r/c motor switch as I don't want to buy an ESC at this point in time. It will run on 4 AAA batteries which should be enough for the 140 size motor.

Once its got some resin on it, I need to see if it floats lol!

Barrie

Design & Build!! 101_0510 Design & Build!! 101_0511 Design & Build!! 101_0512 Design & Build!! 101_0513
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing your skills with us,  Neil is right we can all learn new techniques from others and tips on materials and consumables also   2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Not a lot to see for today's efforts which were curtailed by an unscheduled visit from my client lol! lol!

I did manage to rub it down and apply two coats of Eze Kote resin to the hull - it will get some more later. I also completed the stand and treated that to some resin. Grandson confirmed that he wants a Fireboat unfortunately and I did sketch out a cabin profile.

Before he came I drilled a hole for the rudder, and made a rudder from some brass - I hope it will be big enough.

Barrie

Design & Build!! 101_0514
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 3:09 pm

As well as sanding down the hull and re-coating with resin, today I made the superstructure.
Design & Build!! 101_0610 Design & Build!! 101_0611

It should perhaps have extended further forward, but I can put a Fire Monitor on the bow so I don't think it will look too bad. I'm waiting for some collets to arrive so that I can finish the rudder, then I will fix the coaming. I have decided not to use the micro switches for motor control. I have an ACTion Pico ESC in another tiny boat which I think I will use instead. There's not much room in this one for two servos.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Here is the result of today's efforts -
Design & Build!! 101_0612

two Fire Monitors. I looked into buying them, but they were big and expensive, so decided to try and make them. I think that they have turned out quite well. Shocked Cool

My collets also arrived so I have made my tiller arm, just need to make the linkage. I should have made the space between the deck and cabin floor greater - there's not much height to get the linkage in.

I can fit the coamings tomorrow, then think about painting.

Now I'm going to try to work out if I can set up the wiring so that I can remove the ESC, but still leave Grandson able to run the motor from the switch.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 pm

The steering servo and linkage are now installed, as are the coamings - a few gaps to fill I notice Embarassed
I also worked out how to be able to use the Rx and ESC from one of my other small boats in this one, by simply unplugging two connections. This will also allow me to let my Grandson use the motor without the R/C. The bits of plastic are to make it easier to use double sided tape to stick the servo etc.

Next job I think is to start the painting.

Barrie

Design & Build!! 101_0613
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 6:03 pm

A frustrating day today Sad  I set out to almost finish the boat, but lack of material and another unscheduled visit from my client, means that there's still some work required. I have installed the railings round the upper deck area - there will be a dinghy at the stern. The hull was sprayed with primer, then given one coat of red before the paint ran out - I thought I had a red spray can. The superstructure was primed in white, and sprayed with white gloss. The lettering has been applied to the superstructure and is cut ready for the hull after its had a second coat. The roof of the wheelhouse is made to slot in as I want to be able to get inside - the client wants a wheel and a figure Rolling Eyes

Tomorrow  I will apply a red stripe to the superstructure, paint the decks and possibly re-install the motor and prop shaft. It also need to go into the test tank to see how it floats.

Barrie

Design & Build!! 101_0614
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 6:34 pm

hi barrie,

does your client want working monitors Laughing or are they just blanks for show. i put a working one in a boat i built, and the kids love it when, i turn it on and water comes out and sprays them great fun.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 7:08 pm

He would LOVE working ones, but there isn't room for a pump in this boat. I already have one with a working monitor, he'll have to be satisfied with that. Laughing

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 2:23 pm

I installed the motor, esc, receiver and battery pack. It is organised so that I can remove the receiver and ESC and still operate the motor. Note the cheapskate way of fixing the motor Laughing Embarassed Razz - I haven't any silicone which is what I would normally use. The decks have been painted and I've put a red stripe round the superstructure, made and fitted a mast, and some dummy lights.

I hope to have some more red paint tomorrow, so that I can give the hull another coat, then I will apply the lettering and give the whole model some coats of satin varnish. I have started painting a couple of figures, and a wheel, which I need to fit into the wheelhouse somehow.

Barrie

Design & Build!! 101_0615 Design & Build!! 101_0616 Design & Build!! 101_0617 Design & Build!! 101_0618
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 3:16 pm

hi barrie,

great job done 2thumbsup 2thumbsup ,is he waiting for trials now  to see how fast it will go, that is all my grandson wants, the faster it goes the happier he is Laughing Laughing Laughing  speed is the name of the game.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Still just a little to do David - including seeing if it will sail Laughing

I don't think he's into speed yet, although I agree that is what most of the youngsters want.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptySat Nov 22, 2014 2:03 pm

I just have one more figure to finish painting, then its done. It floated very nicely, just needed a little weight in the bow. Unfortunately in order to get the lead in there, I had to cut a hole in the foredeck. Shocked

All the lettering has now been applied, the whole boat varnished, hull and superstructure with Satin Cote, and the decks with Matt Cote. There is a wheel and helmsman in the wheelhouse, the roof has been stuck down.

I was hoping for a maiden voyage tomorrow, but it doesn't look as though the weather will cooperate Sad

Barrie

Design & Build!! 101_0619 Design & Build!! 101_0620 Design & Build!! 101_0621 Design & Build!! 101_0622
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptySat Nov 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Looking good Barrie 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 8:00 am

Took the boat to the lake yesterday - disaster Sad  It wouldn't go. I wasn't too surprised because when testing it on the bench, the motor seemed quite hesitant, and didn't attain the same speed as when running direct from the battery. So for some reason it doesn't like the ESC.  Crying or Very sad  I have used this ESC with a servo motor in my very small boat, and it worked fine.
I tried to go back to Plan A, but there isn't really room for another servo with 2 micro switches, so I have ordered one of Mtroniks smallest ESCs and will try that.
Luckily my Grandson wasn't with me, so I have a chance to get it working before he goes with me.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 8:17 am

That's a shame Barrie but I am sure you'll sort it Thumbup as you say, good job your Grandson wasn't there.......
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Yes - its strange. I put the ESC back into the other boat and it works fine. I can only think the 140 motor was drawing too much current from the AAA batteries. I did try it with AAs, but no better.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 6:03 pm

My Mtroniks ESC arrived today and was fitted. The installation is a bit messy, but it all fits. It has also fixed my problem 2thumbsup You will also not that the Bluetack has gone to be replaced by silicone sealant Laughing

All I need now is fair weather on Sunday so that I can give it a trial. I still need to decide if I am going to use the 21 or 25 mm prop.

Barrie

Design & Build!! 101_0631
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 9:02 am

Well, the maiden voyage was a qualified success. It sailed well and at a suitable speed for the 4 year old, but it dug its bows in. I had put ballast in the bow, so I have removed that and shifted it to the stern. Not sure if this was the cause of the problem, or if it is a design fault.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 12:13 pm

The little fella will be tickled to bits with it Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Design & Build!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Design & Build!!   Design & Build!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Design & Build!!
Page 1 of 1