TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mold for lead ballast

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Mold for lead ballast Empty
PostSubject: Mold for lead ballast   Mold for lead ballast EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:45 am

While ballasting models in the past I've used flat pine board and hardwood strip about 3/8" apart and cast the lead in 24" lengths and cut to needed length, with the Paddler models there's not much room and it's fiddly to place the strips.
So I used some Redwood 3/8" x 3 1/2" and drilled 30 holes of 5 sizes with spade bits 12mm to 28mm in size.

Now before anyone jumps up and down about safety.

The wood does scorch and smoke somewhat.
Though I've never had a fire, 
I wear my leather welding apron (Neck to ankles)
A fire extinguisher is close at hand.
It's always done out doors. 

Each casting will be a little bit bigger as the sides scorch,

and I expect to 5 or 6 castings from this Mold which should be enough for several more models.

Mold for lead ballast M1_zps7c5c235b

Mold for lead ballast M2_zpsc39cf018

After cooling I'll separate the 2 parts and the weight will tap out without hassle. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mold for lead ballast   Mold for lead ballast EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Ihave been known to do similar things myself in my younger days of rashness.........like pouring moulten lead down a copper pipe into a bucket of cold water to make lead shot.................

DON'T DO THIS AT HOME FOLKS...............TAKIE IT ROUND TO YER MATES HOUSE INSTEAD, lol!  lol!  lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mold for lead ballast   Mold for lead ballast EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 9:30 am

Interesting day in the past I've used a stewed fruit can to melt the lead in on a camping stove with a vice grips as a handle and was somewhat awkward so I added a pouring lip to an old soup ladle that I now use for paint and polyester resin.

Mold for lead ballast T1_zps86a36839

About 3/4 poured.

Mold for lead ballast T2_zps12f37680

Separated to assist cooling.

Mold for lead ballast T3_zpsf3644dda

Back together ready for next casting not as much scorching as I expected
Also showing the product of the first cast.

Mold for lead ballast T4_zpsb3726159

The second cast went well with all slots filled things went haywire when I tried to tap the buttons from the mold I assume the heat destroyed the resins holding the wood together it split down the middle and ended in 5 pieces all is no lost I have 55 weights of various sizes.

Mold for lead ballast T6_zpscd7ac7ad

This pic shows the approximate weight and sizes of the weights all up I managed to get 55 buttons in 5 sizes with an all up weight of 2.o45kg.

Mold for lead ballast T7_zpsaa8977f5

The lesson learned from this I believe to be larger gaps between holes on the mold & it should last longer.

Last edited by Damien on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mold for lead ballast   Mold for lead ballast EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 3:52 pm

that's interesting as I wouldn't have expected that especially as the stuff would be contracting when cooling , not expanding??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mold for lead ballast   Mold for lead ballast EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 1:08 am

Even cold they need to be tapped out that's when it fell apart, today I'll try casting some more in what's left of the mold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mold for lead ballast   Mold for lead ballast EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 9:57 am

Success 5 more casts made before the mold fell apart all up I cast 3.9kg of buttons and used all the 2lt tub of wheel weights that were lead I through out most of the Nickel and Steel ones found a few in the slag when finished.
I also re-cast the lead strips I'd done in the past.

Mold for lead ballast M2_zps063d1950

As the casting progressed the wood scorched more and more.

Mold for lead ballast M3_zpse1a68ebf

Until the wood fibers couldn't take the heat any longer  and fell apart along the darker lines in the grain.

Mold for lead ballast M1_zps53716b87

The base board started flat and bowed upward at the edges more with each casting seen upside down with a square on it.

Mold for lead ballast M4_zps6fc81a01

And finally the leftover slag along with some wheel weight that are either Steel or Nickel that wouldn't succumb to the blow torches heat.

Mold for lead ballast Slag_zpsc150cc02
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mold for lead ballast   Mold for lead ballast EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 am

I found some lead  I'd forgotten while ballasting in the bathroom so I retrieved the mold bits from the waste bin and got 2 more castings from them albeit with a lot of the buttons joined together half an hour with a wire cutter fixed  them all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mold for lead ballast   Mold for lead ballast Empty

Back to top Go down

Mold for lead ballast
Page 1 of 1