TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Long time no see!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mattycoops43
Midshipman
Midshipman

Long time no see! Empty
PostSubject: Long time no see!   Long time no see! EmptySun May 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi peeps

I haven't been around for AGES. ( nearly two years) I was working in a model shop and when it shut down I had a bit of a hiatus from modelling, I have actually been restoring motorbikes (one of my other hobbies) 

Anyway, the summer is here, my son who is now 7 has been pestering me to get his model boat out, so I thought I would pop in and say hi, see who was about. 

A couple of hours fettling got his rc motorboat working. (we used it in the sea, where it was awesome, last time we went to Cornwall but the salt was not kind to the screws and propshaft). 

Quick question, not sure if there is anyone from my area still on here (Newport, South Wales). There is a Model boat club in Cwmbran, I want to go along with my son and try the boat out. The club only meets on a Sunday morning and Wednesday afternoon, no use to us at all.

Is there any reason why I cannot go along and sail in the lake at other times without being a member? As far as I am aware, it is a public park, with a lake provided for model boating. Obviously club membership gets use of facilities including club house and peg boards etc, but if I am the only person there there is no need for a peg board. 

There are two lakes, a big one the club uses normally, and a small shallow pond which is where I would sail. Basically I don't want to turn up for a bit of fun with my young son, then be told off by a club member who happened to be there for using their facilities?

Just not sure on the legal standing of the lake? 

Anyway, nice to be back. I'll have a look at the site and see what's been going on.

Matt
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Long time no see! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long time no see!   Long time no see! EmptySun May 04, 2014 5:34 pm

hi,

if it is in a public park then they  don't always have the right to stop you using it unless they pay a fee yearly and maintain it. I sail on public water in colwyn bay but we don't pay anything, we look after the water  keeping it free from weed at members cost, I am a member also the same club but they could not stop me sailing if I wasn't a member, only if you don't let them now what freqeuncey you are on just be respectfull and ask what they are useing  40mhz our 27 MHz our the latest 2.4 mhz they don't need to do anything as they work differantly. also clubs have public liability insurance to cover you for damage or injury so it is well worth joining if you use it a lot. hope that helps. I think tug Kenny lives that way he will be around some time on here and tell you.

david
Back to top Go down
mattycoops43
Midshipman
Midshipman

Long time no see! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long time no see!   Long time no see! EmptySun May 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Obviously my aim is not to annoy anyone there. It IS a public park, and I believe the lake and pool are maintained by the council. There is a club house, but my impression from what I read is it was all supplied by the council as it's a big plush brick building, not just a shed or something that a club may have put there. The club says on the website they are 40M and my sons rc for the boat is on 27M. Obviously if someone was there with a boat I would go and speak to them and make sure we weren't on the same fq etc and they were happy.

We went a few times when we were last using it a couple of years ago and never saw anyone there at any time. I believe they only go at the official sailing times.
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

Long time no see! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long time no see!   Long time no see! EmptyMon May 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Hiya,

I also live in Newport and used to be a member of this club.  I didn't often go enough to justify the membership fee.

Regarding the lakes, I see no problem as I often use them for my boats launch and initial sail. I believe they are open to the public so it should be OK.  I don't think the boat club owns the water so give it a try.

Take your camera as we love pictures.

Cheers

Ken
Back to top Go down

Long time no see! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long time no see!   Long time no see! EmptyTue May 06, 2014 6:57 am

Welcome back Matty.
Back to top Go down
mattycoops43
Midshipman
Midshipman

Long time no see! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long time no see!   Long time no see! EmptyTue May 06, 2014 10:59 am

Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup 

Been looking at some of the build pics, I think I might have to build something!
Back to top Go down

Long time no see! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long time no see!   Long time no see! EmptyWed May 07, 2014 6:59 pm

aye......c'mon, stop procrastinating matt.....get those craft knives and plasticard out and get whittling. neil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Long time no see! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long time no see!   Long time no see! Empty

Back to top Go down

Long time no see!
Page 1 of 1