TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fireboat II

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 am

A slight change of plan! I was intending to build another Huntsman 31 from Richard Webb plans. I have one, but the deck was coming away from the sides and it needed new motor etc. However, after looking at it I decided a bit of P38 would solve the deck problems, and a new motor installation soon had it running again. With a brushless motor (1100KV on 7.4 volts and 35mm prop) it now performs beautifully so no need to build another Very Happy 

Looking around for another subject I came across the plans for Richard Webb's Fireboat II on eBay and with davidjt's help I acquired the original MB article. I have a good stock of 1.5mm plasticard so it should be a reasonably cheap build - but I always think that before I start Surprised  

This it what it should look like when finished. 

Fireboat II Firebo10

I got the plan copied yesterday so can start cutting the templates out today.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 12:14 pm

I'm sure you'll do it proud as usual Barrie.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 6:16 pm

I have made a start and cut out the main hull pieces. I have started putting it together. The method used by Richard Webb was to dry assemble all the hull components with lots of tape, then start gluing. However, I have found on other models of his this actually requires about six hands, so I am trying my own method Mad  I started by laying out the pieces and taping them together, then I stuck the bulkheads to the bottom pieces - one to each side.

Fireboat II Imgp2710

When this had dried, I stuck them to the opposite hull bottom piece, and applied some glue to the straight part of the join between the bottom pieces.

Fireboat II Imgp2711

Once that had dried, I started to attach the sides to the bulkheads, starting with one side at the rear.

Fireboat II Imgp2712

Next step is to continue fixing the sides to the forward bulkhead, and the sides to the bottom - all on the straight parts of the hull. Once that is rigid I can start to form the bows.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm making progress, but need to go slowly so that the joints are properly set before moving on. There is a lot of tension in the panels as I move to the bows. 

Fireboat II Imgp2713 Fireboat II Imgp2714

The port side is glued right up to the bows, the starboard only to the forward bulkhead. I have fitted the transom, and the deck is cut out ready, but I want to get the hull rigid and the joints sealed. There will be reasonable access when the lid deck is on, but I may try to install the rudder tube and propshaft before fitting it. I have made the rudder and the shaft is on order. I will be using a '500' motor on 6 volts with a 15A Mtroniks ESC. That will save having to install an Rx battery.

Final two photos for now.

Fireboat II Imgp2714 Fireboat II Imgp2716

Just two joints to go - but the most difficult I think Rolling Eyes  Shocked 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 2:35 pm

When I removed all the tape holding the bows, this is what I found Exclamation 
Fireboat II Imgp2717

It could have been worse, and I don't think I could have got  as good as that if I had put it all together and then glued.  A little P40 filler soon covered the hole, and some filler on the outside will be sanded to shape.

Fireboat II Imgp2718 Fireboat II Imgp2719

The forward bulkhead seems to be at a strange angle, so that needs attention, and I want to strengthen all the joints with a mixture of plastic card dissolved in glue, but I'm out of glue! I do have the propshaft now so could fix that and the rudder before attaching the deck. 

I must also make a stand for it, so that will keep me busy until I get some glue.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Sanded down all the filler and the shape is now reasonable Wink  I cut the slot for the prop shaft and also drilled for the rudder then spent ages trying to make a mount for the motor. At the moment its an old 500, but it looks a bit big for the boat, and is proving a little difficult to fit. I think that I might have to go for a brushless.

I did make and paint a stand, so some progress was made.

Fireboat II Imgp2720 Fireboat II Imgp2721

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:29 pm

With a fresh start, the motor was finally fitted. I decided to stick with the 500 for now. The rudder is in and that and the propshaft fixed with P38. I have also mounted the steering servo and made a tiller. The linkages are made after breaking two of the plastic clips on the way. I next need to decide where to put the batteries - a 6 volt NiMh pack - the receiver, an ESC, which will be an Mtroniks, and the main switch. 
I plan to have working lights, including blue flashers, and a water pump. so quite a bit to fit in. There is very good access so it shouldn't be too difficult. Wink 

Barrie

Fireboat II Imgp2722 Fireboat II Imgp2723
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:45 am

barrie........I am amazed how easily you have bent that plastic around the bow and got it to stick.........well done...superb

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Neil,

So was I Shocked Very Happy  I think it was only possible doing it bit by bit. It is 1.5 mm and quite firm. I find plasticard varies from quite soft and pliable to firm and almost brittle. This was towards the brittle end.

The line of the bows at deck level is not correct and I hope I can ease it out when I come to fit the deck - after my holiday Laughing 

In hindsight, I should have worked a curve into the side panels before starting to glue Rolling Eyes 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 2:30 pm

I have now fitted a battery box - for a 6 volt NiMh pack, and made a shelf to take the remainder of the equipment. I also fitted some strips to the sides to take the deck. These are not on the original because I think the deck was supposed to sit on the sides, but I plan to fit it inside.

On the outside, I have fitted the chine rails. Again these were intended to be crafted from 2 x 1.5 mm strips chamfered, but I bought some 60 degree triangular strips and have used those.

Fireboat II Imgp2724 Fireboat II Imgp2725

I just hope the propshaft and rudder are not aligned like the picture - I am sure they were straight Rolling Eyes 

I go on holiday on Monday so have almost done all I can until I return and order some supplies.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Back from my holidays now and some of the parts have arrived. I intend to have a working fire monitor and sound and lights. Today I have been creating a switcher from a min-servo and two micro switches to operate these. First position will be the lights and siren and second will produce water - I hope. I managed to find a circuit board which produces one of four siren sounds together with up to 8 flashing LEDs. I'm still waiting for this to arrive and for an auction for a water pump to end next week. 

Here is the switcher ready to mount on the equipment shelf when I have all the bits so I can work out the best layout. I only have a couple of weeks before I go into hospital for a new knee so things will come to a halt again soon Crying or Very sad   

Barrie

Fireboat II Imgp2726
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 11:28 pm

that's very interesting Barrie...has given me ideas on how to limit the throw to 4mm on my servos for the voiths on my build..........save me 200 quid buying a digital system like an F14 rutaba jobby.
build coming on great too. ( yours I mean........mine's been static for weeks, lol)
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 pm

I still haven't received the sound and light board, but have decided to fit that into the superstructure with just a switch wire connecting it (it runs on 9v). Therefore today, after two sessions in the surgery, I tackled the wiring.

Fireboat II Imgp2727

Apologies for out of focus picture. Embarassed 

Its not as tidy as I would like, but that is the price for using Mtroniks ESCs. Without removing the connectors and thus invalidating the warranty, there is not much scope for tidy cable runs Shocked 

The pair of wires heading for the stern are to power the pump when I get it and decide where its going Rolling Eyes  The connector bottom left is for the sound/lights. The switch is two stages - First stage lights and siren, second stage - pump.

I started sticking down the deck now I've finished the wiring so can start on the superstructure soon. My Op has been delayed a week so I might get it near completion before then.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 3:47 am

Dispite the focus it's looking good Barrie.2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 pm

tidier than minewill ever be, lol.........mine reminds me of a birds nest on a multiplyer reel when I forgot to put the drag on, lol.......usually stick mine all down with blutack jocolor
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 5:14 pm

The deck fixed today and I put a toe rail round it to disguise a join. Wink 

Barrie

Fireboat II Imgp2728
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 5:20 pm

looking great!!!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Have you retired from building models Neil? Laughing Laughing  I haven't seen any posts since before I went on holiday. Shocked 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 3:00 pm

OK, back to the model after a couple of days off with the first cold of winter pale Sad 
I managed to spray a primer coat before the cold hit me and I have now almost completed the superstructure - just a roof to fit. I have all the bits and pieces except a Fire Monitor. I was going to try and build one, but as I don't have the correct diameter of brass pipes, its almost as cheap to buy one, so I'll order one later today.
I still have to work out where to put the water pump - its quite bulky.

Barrie

Fireboat II Imgp2729 Fireboat II Imgp2730 Fireboat II Imgp2731
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 1:38 am

Looking good Barrie. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks Damien,

Today I ordered what I hope are the last few items - thanks Mark - and completed the sound and light unit ready for installation. Although it doesn't show very well, I sprayed the underwater area Red and also the superstructure White. I need to buy a blue spray for the hull topsides. I do have some D section rubber which I will stick around the top as a rubbing strip. The deck has had one coat of grey humbrol. The roof is cut, but I'm leaving it off until I have glazed the windows. The window plastic was sprayed with a black tint today as I will not be fitting out the interior.

Barrie

Fireboat II Imgp2732
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 pm

This good weather is wonderful. Managed to finish all the spraying today, and gave the deck another coat of Humbrol. I also painted a red stripe round the superstructure, and painted the roof ready to fit the various items. It will have 4 flashing blue lights as well as the Nav lights. The fittings came from Mark and also Mobile Marine Models so I built the Fire Monitor and the radar - I cut down the arm as it was a bit too long. The lifebelts have had one side painted, but I ordered the wrong size bollards so they will have to wait. I also tested the pump and found it quite happily picks up the water even when its above the water line, so that will make installation easier. The marks at the top of the hull will be covered by the rubbing strip.

Fireboat II Imgp2733

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 pm

A little more progress today, but not very visible. More paint on fittings etc. I did stick the fendering on one side of the hull. I used Rc Modellers glue and it seemed to go on OK. The working Fire Monitor is fixed and the two dummy ones also. I have started on the roof - 4 LEDs fixed. Some of the lettering is also in place. I did cut a bold red FIRE for the front, but it was too big. I'll have to set up the laptop again to make a new one. I actually ran out of release tape so couldn't finish the lettering.
Main job tomorrow is the glazing. I cut one window today - just another 8 to go Smile 

Barrie

Fireboat II Imgp2734
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 5:06 pm

I've spent a little time in the workshop over the last few days, but not a lot to show for it Embarassed 
I have started fitting the windows to the wheelhouse, only the front right and the doors are actually glued. I used thick super glue which seems to have worked. The protective film is still on the front ones Very Happy 

Fireboat II Imgp2710

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 2:16 pm

OK Damien, the results of several short sessions this week. All the windows are now glazed and have their frames fitted. It gets more tricky now. The next job is to wire up all the lights and sounds, and I'm not certain that I can face that at the moment. The other job I may be able to do is fit the water pump for the hydrant - the two in the photos are dummies.

Barrie

Fireboat II Imgp2711
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:49 pm

top notch, very crisp.

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 2:39 pm

At last - some visible progress. I managed about 2 hours in the workshop today and fixed the water pump, and added tails to the LEDs ready for connecting up. I was then able to fix the roof to the wheelhouse. There are still the railings to make and all the LEDs to wire to the controller. I also have to work out how to power the nav lights and spotlight. Plenty to keep me going. Very Happy 

Fireboat II Imgp2712 Fireboat II Imgp2713
Fireboat II Imgp2714

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Wire up the flashing LEDs today, and found somewhere for the battery. I also worked out how to power the nav lights and spotlight, but didn't get round to actually doing it Rolling Eyes  I have decided to buy the stanchions - thought I had enough but was two short Crying or Very sad . In my present state of health I don't think I could have made a reasonable job of soldering them up. I've also ordered some new bollards so that should be everything to complete the model. I should have it finished by the time I'm allowed to drive again Laughing 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 4:32 pm

hi barrie ,

glad to see you managing to do a bit, will look good with flashing lights. take it easy dont do to much.

david

ps
haveing trouble with emoticons they dont appear when i click on them is it me or have you had same problem Laughing Laughing Laughing

well they worked on this one:x Mad Mad Mad Mad 
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 5:54 pm

davidjt wrote:

haveing trouble with emoticons they dont appear when i click on them is it me or have you had same problem Laughing Laughing Laughing

well they worked on this one:x Mad Mad Mad Mad 
David, I found you have to leave space after the text before the emoticon.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 2:56 pm

The lights are all wired now and the battery and speaker. Not my best effort at 'structured wiring', but there wasn't much room to get the soldering iron in Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Fireboat II Imgp2715 Fireboat II Imgp2716

I also finished the roof with its mast and radar. Just the bollards and railings, then some varnish before at test in the bath to see if the pump works.

Fireboat II Imgp2718

Barrie
Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 9:03 pm

A very nice ''little' build there Barry.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Fitted the railings today, along with bollards and anchor winch. Hopefully I will paint the railings tomorrow. I also gave the hull a coat of Humbrol Satincote - it may need another tomorrow Smile 

Barrie

Fireboat II Imgp2719
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 10:09 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 pm

hi barrie,

looking nice now, 2thumbsup 2thumbsup  like the lettering how do you print it of your lap top Question .
have you been able to test the monitors yet , what power does it need. I have one from a car windscreen washer, works on 6 volts which is ok for me, but when grand kids come I have to use 12v. on, it really fires out  twice the distance good fun with kids have a good laugh when they don't expect it lol! lol! 

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 3:46 pm

David.

I have a vinyl cutter which connects to my PC. Instead of printing it cuts the shape of the letters. I 'liberated' it when my office closed down Wink Wink 

I have tried the pump but not in the boat through the monitor. It is working of the 6 volt boat battery. It seemed OK for output. I was going to put it in the bath today to try the pump, but realised I am out of ballast so to avoid wasting water I will wait until I get some more lead.
The railings are now painted and I fixed a couple of life belts and a life raft canister - ready to go after the bath test lol! lol! 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 11:23 am

barriew wrote:
David.

I have a vinyl cutter which connects to my PC. Instead of printing it cuts the shape of the letters. I 'liberated' it when my office closed down Wink Wink 

I should have said that if you want any for your models I would be very happy to make them for you at zero cost - I have various colours available.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 am

hi barrie ,

thank you for your offer 2thumbsup , I will keep you in mind when I need some.

thanks david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Finally got it into the bath Very Happy  It only required a very small amount of ballast at the stern. The water pump works very well - a good strong jet from the hydrant. I just hope the motor is going to push it through the water at a reasonable speed, otherwise I will have to change it for something better.

If the weather holds it will get an outing on Sunday.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 5:07 pm

brilliant Barrie..........will look forward to seeing it on the lake spouting forth........it has been a real pleasure to watch it from sheets of plastic to fruition..........something I would never have attempted and it went together so well.

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Neil,

I'll try to get some pictures, but I find holding transmitter and camera doesn't work too well lol! lol! 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Worked out how to load a video onto Youtube, so lets see if I can include it here Very Happy 

Barrie

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 8:04 am

hi barrie,

that has turned out brilliant  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup .

whats next  lol! lol! lol!.

are you feeling better now hope so.

david
Back to top Go down

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 8:12 am

Great work Barrie. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks David & Damien.

Had it on the water this morning. Not an unqualified success Sad  The flashing lights were barely visible and the sound inaudible Embarassed To cap it all, before I had chance to take a photo or video, I lost my prop Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes 

David, feeling much better thanks. Off to see the consultant on Tuesday. I have already started my latest project. I know it seems quite soon after the Fireboat, but I have actually done very little modelling since I came out of hospital. The new boat is a cabin cruiser from the 50's or 60's - I've started a build log.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fireboat II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fireboat II   Fireboat II Empty

Back to top Go down

Fireboat II
Page 1 of 1