TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

card modelling ambrose

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

card modelling ambrose  Empty
PostSubject: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 pm

hi,

for somthing differant i have been makeing card models. this is something i have looked at for years , so i decided to have a go at modeling AMBROSE light ship.i started by downloading the digital navy free copy of AMBROSE you get two sheets of all parts, then the fun begins cutting all the tiny parts, which i must admit i haveing some loss of use in my right arm was very very irratating but sufferd to get a result of some satisfaction, they are not perfect but happy with the result so have a go

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3312

[url=https://servimg.com/view/18038893/22]card modelling ambrose  Dscf3313[/u

i used some card i was given which is 160gsm and 100gsm for rolling and forming thiner parts you need to print 1 on thick card and 1 on multy use paper this is to make masts etc

i started by cutting out frame work as you can see from pics then glued together with pva glue
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 8:12 pm

i have started this of wrong way round but never mind. this is what i have built over the past couple of years from digital navy free plans you just print of then cut out all these are free downloads plus others i have not started yet

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3610

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3611

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3612

the yamato is arfix kit

if this can be moved to start of log please do so as i ment to start of with this:oops:
more to follow

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 pm

boy....this is interesting......I have a small card model of a CalMac ferry to make for my daughter and keep putting it off as I have never done one before......

I know it sounds stoopid....but what type of glue is best and what do you apply it with to the card, David. how do you get sharp folds without cutting and how do you get the curved bows ......just a few questions to start with.

cheers, neil.
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 7:51 am

Very interesting indeed. I might just have a go myself as I am in between models at the moment.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 am

hi neil

as regards the glue i use 502 wood adhesive from home bargins good glue i think, our use pva then paint glue on with fine paint brush, on to all surfaces. as regards the sharp edges thats where my nerves go i must do 3 or 4 pieces till i get the cut without cutting of completely, just a very lite swipe should do without cutting all of they take a lot of care. when you put the side pieces on you follow the shape of boat you should get some idea on my next post if not ask me again

david

Last edited by davidjt on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 10:30 am

next is building the hull you need the thick card for this as you need some thin for other parts

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3314

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3410

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3411

curling up of the card can be a problem when glue is wet but when assembled they all fit in. i hope you can understand my method if not ask me.

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 2:26 pm

yes, thanks david.......going to give the model a try..........will have it photocopied first so that if I make a balls up, I have to real one to go at next time, lol.

thanks

neil.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 9:04 pm

hi neil

i would do a couple as mistakes are sure to happen:lol!:

david
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:32 am

now for putting side panels on paste all frame edges then panel but be carefull it tends to go very soft then follow shape of hull.

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3413

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3414

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3415

the frilly piece is then glued to under neath of deck

david
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 pm

next was cutting all the cabins etc, the mast is rolled with the palms of you hands, better trying a few bits before final piece. then a very thin piece fuse wire pushed down the center for a more riged pole.

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3613

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3614

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3615

card modelling ambrose  Dscf3616

i hope you have got some idea now of how to make card models, this was just a brief taster to get some one interrested. if i have done that then i am happy. and try to get the kids haveing ago as well they have little fingers that really do help this can be down loaded from DIGITAL NAVY FREE with many others.

i gave it a coat of clear acrylic spray to stop the ink running when finished, any white bits can be touched up with acrylic paint watered down. it helps when you spray the sheet at the start because the glue can smudge the ink just a light spray.

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:29 pm

thanks for that, david..........as soon as ('ve finished making the little lifeboat figures I'm going to give the Calmac ferry I have as a card model a go.

it has given me the encouragement to do so.

neil.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:06 pm

hi neil,

great news

and dont forget pictuers please

david
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: card modelling ambrose    card modelling ambrose  Empty

Back to top Go down

card modelling ambrose
Page 1 of 1