TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Weathering below the waterline

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

Weathering below the waterline Empty
PostSubject: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 11:59 am

Okay guys, I have decided to weather my Craig tug below the waterline. I have seen pictures of some real tugs that do not look good under the water and need to find a good technique for doing it. I want to get that......been at sea for ages look...Any ideas will be most welcome... Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi Barry, how about trying the scatter stuff railway modellers use to simulate grass & dirt, it is like a coloured sawdust http://www.railwayscenics.com/scatter-materials-c-43_62.html

Glue onto the hull and then seal with varnish... Try it on some scrap material first though before you potentially ruin your model.

Another more long winded way would be to place the model in an algae filled pond, leave it there for a few months and let nature take its course..

W...
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks Windy, an interesting idea......as for the pond.....I have an algae filled pool near me......Wonder how long it would take???ha ha.
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:55 pm

The algae pond method would certainly shut the "rivet counters" up!!!!! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Try it for a couple of months and see what happens.....

W....
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Not got a couple of moths I am afraid, so come on chaps, lets have some more ideas...... pale
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 pm

If you haven't got a couple of moths Barry, butterflies might be quicker!! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Sorry mate, I have been fibreglassing all day and the fumes do strange things!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

W......
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 4:19 am

A little something here for you - http://vabiz.com/d%26e/CABAL/1_96%20SEAWOLF%20Turnkey%20Build,%20Part-3.htm

You might try talking to the unterwasser set.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 7:19 am

Thanks for that Dave, a very interesting read. I wish it was more complete though!! cyclops cyclops
Back to top Go down
scalloway41
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
scalloway41

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 pm

On the other site.......mayhem, there is a thread in working vessels of a build of the northern lighthouse vessel, Pharos. In it there is a bit about marine growth on a bouy you might find interesting. Can't do you a link as I ain't that clever with puters......cheers.
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 am

Thanks for that. I will have a look for it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 8:44 pm

if you want barnacles.......use some artex type paint with a small (fingernail size) sponge and stipple blobs of artex paint onto the hull. seen it done and it looks really effective.

neil.
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 8:55 pm

I like that idea Neil.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weathering below the waterline   Weathering below the waterline Empty

Back to top Go down

Weathering below the waterline
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Technical Pages :: Other Technical Questions-
Jump to: