TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2.4 ghz help!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

2.4 ghz help!! Empty
PostSubject: 2.4 ghz help!!   2.4 ghz help!! EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 3:38 pm

right guys i gotta issues with my 2.4 ghz set...

I'm using the spectrum dx5e & AR600 rx in conjunction to a electronize FR30Hz esc (30 amp esc with no bec, using 6v pack to power the RX and servo) and a torpedo 850 motor,powered by a 12v 3a LA in my 1950's cruiser restoration (i'll start blogging it soon)

I wired up the system fine, the system switches on, no problem all systems go, the problem occurs when i turn off the transmitter the esc sends the prop into full blast forward, until i put the tx back on then everything is normal.

Now the esc states its got a build in failsafe for the neutral position should it loose signal from the tx, so to see if the esc was faulty i tried the same setup with a mtronics esc and the same thing happens, so that determines that its not the esc at fault, so i also tried using an old 27mhz tx/rx set and the problem is eliminated completely.

This is not the first time i have seen the 2.4 ghz sets do similar things, the radio link sets have issues with having to constantly reset the neutral position on the tx everytime its turned off which means turning the model on and off, ok some will say just don't turn the tx off when the model is in use and given that with the spectrum you get a decent battery warning system there is little chance you wont bring the model back in shore b4 the batterys in the tx die.

But i enjoy leaving the model idle on the lake for periods of time while we have a cup of tea a smoke or a general chat with other members sometimes up to an hour or so at a time in the process since all my modles are LA run i can leave the model on and just knock the TX off and there in lies my issue since can no longer do that using this system.

now i'm tempted to look at plug in fail safe but before i spend anymore money (not knowing if that will fix) is there any suggestion that may work as clearly the 2.4 ghz sets wont work with the built in failsafe for the esc, has anyone else had this issues and how did u fix it?

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

2.4 ghz help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2.4 ghz help!!   2.4 ghz help!! EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 pm

I suspect that this is connected to the fact that airplanes are different to boats, and require different actions on lost signal. Not entirely sure of the details, maybe someone can clarify. I do know that the Spektrum failsafe can cause problems with boats - I suspect the Rx is actually responding to the loss of Tx signal not the ESC.

Hope this helps.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

2.4 ghz help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2.4 ghz help!!   2.4 ghz help!! EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi RoadRunner,

I enclose a copy of the Transmitter instructions .....

When the transmitter is turned on, and after the receiver
connects to the transmitter, normal control of all
channels occurs.
• After the system makes a connection, if loss of signal
occurs, the AR500 failsafe drives the throttle servo only
to its preset failsafe position (low throttle) that was set
during binding.
• All other channels receive no output pulses/ commands,
and are not active during failsafe.

I admit to not knowing much about this modern Technology but hope this might be useful.

Cheers

ken
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

2.4 ghz help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2.4 ghz help!!   2.4 ghz help!! EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 9:12 pm

As to the recivier not being the AR3000 marine it dose not make to much difference in this case, The marine receivers are actually the same as the AR600 sport which i have, only being Ariel position and all the componats are water proof, but with all 2.4ghz RX if they are placed in a position above the water line so not to be 'submerged' and the aerials are above there is no need to be concerned as to the receiver being used for a marine purpose and this is the first time i have had this issues with this system, i use the same RX in my yacht although servo controlled but when the tx is off the servo does not let the boom fully out (which would be full throttle in this case) so its is clearly some issues between these digital ESC's and the 2.4ghz tx/rx system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• After the system makes a connection, if loss of signal
occurs, the AR500 failsafe drives the throttle servo only
to its preset failsafe position (low throttle) that was set
during binding.
• All other channels receive no output pulses/ commands,
and are not active during failsafe.

~Thanks Ken , during binding the throttle channel was set to a neutral position i picked so when then tx is switched off it should kicked the throttle to 0 as in the failsafe instructions but instead off shoots off full blast, so not only is the ESC built in fail safe not working (which is a preset 0 on the esc) nor is the Rx failsafe for loss of signal.

i will have a fiddle later tomorrow at some point to see if a reset in the fail safe position may help the situation. but keep the suggestion coming, i've been on this for the past few days with no sucsess.

mattycoops43
Midshipman
Midshipman

2.4 ghz help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2.4 ghz help!!   2.4 ghz help!! EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 10:52 pm

HI.
A DX5 is an aircraft set, and its at the lower end price wise of the spectrum systems. I am 99% sure that a DX5 set will ONLY failsafe to LOW throttle, and you have to remember that an aircraft is ALWAYS idle throttle at full down stick, mid stick as in a forward and reverse esc, is never used on an aircraft!

A seperate failsafe MAY sort this issue as if it's a car type one it should be programmable, so you can set the position it goes to on loss of signal, BUT you would have to be able to turn off the built in DX failsafe, as an external failsafe will not turn on unless it gets loss of signal. BUT when your DX failsafe cuts in, the throttle esc WILL be getting a signal, so the external failsafe won't activate.

Hope that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

2.4 ghz help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2.4 ghz help!!   2.4 ghz help!! EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am

There was some discussion on setting up the Spektrum system failsafe for boats on the Mayhem Forum some time ago now.

Alternatively I believe the importers are very good at answering queries.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

2.4 ghz help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2.4 ghz help!!   2.4 ghz help!! EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Well it look like i have resolved the issue by using one of the advanced settings on the TX during the neutral position setup, as well as fiddling with the ESC itself, it has a build in pre-set neutral position, so i think it was a case of matching up the TX neutral with the ESC preset neutral on the bench it worked every time when turning off the TX although there is a full 1-1.5 sec delay before the failsafe kicks on it looks that the issue is resolved.

Sponsored content

2.4 ghz help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2.4 ghz help!!   2.4 ghz help!! Empty

Back to top Go down

2.4 ghz help!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Technical Pages :: All Things Electrical-
Jump to: