TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Guess what this is

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
HS93
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 8:12 am

from time to time I have had to make some strange items, so I thought I would share a few I have made in the past, so guess what this does ?

it was made for a mate who is mad on grape growing and wine making.

Peter
Guess what this is 005_1010
Guess what this is 001_1011

Last edited by HS93 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jimmy2310
Gunner
Gunner
jimmy2310

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 8:13 am

Where is it?

Jimmy

oops sorry,

I can see it now
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 9:43 am

At a rough guess I'd say it's a thingamy whatsit.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 10:58 am

Erm .......... really looks like that glass dipping flamingo mate

but purely a guess and probably wrong, but is it for automaticly reducing the lees pre racking? Or for a wine that really doesn't require to Sur Lie? Chardonnay, Champagne and Muscadet need to lie on their lees but I think some wines don't - it's twenty five years since I last made any wine. The wine picks up flavours and properties during autolysis but there can also be some problems arise - I looked the next bit up

'If not properly managed,wine faults wine faults can potentially develop from autolysis. If the layer of lees begins to exceed 4 inches (10 centimeters), the enzymes released from the process of the yeast digesting themselves creates reducig conditions and promotes the development of hydrogen sulfide and mercaptan odors. The process of stirring the lees or bâttonage can help prevent a thick layer of lees forming and promote a smoother autolysis'.

but as I guessed above drawing off some lees (and that might not even be possible) could solve that without stirring.

Now you can laugh your socks off and say NO bounce No bounce No bounce ooh, doesn't that make your eyes go funny drunken

Dave
Back to top Go down
jimmy2310
Gunner
Gunner
jimmy2310

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 11:22 am

Is it a drinks shaker?

Jimmy
Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 11:51 am

NO NO NO NO ill leave another day so the earley birds can have a go then post another

hint it's for something we are known for world wide. bounce bounce bounce

Peter
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 pm

So that's what a Pom looks like lol
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Right, beaker empty, lighter than counter balance so goes up, collects liquid so gets heavy and goes down, servo turns the beaker and the liquid goes all over the table Very Happy

Alan
Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 6:00 pm

AlanP wrote:
Right, beaker empty, lighter than counter balance so goes up, collects liquid so gets heavy and goes down, servo turns the beaker and the liquid goes all over the table Very Happy

Alan

close but why ?

Peter
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 pm

I guess its for dispensing a measured quantity of liquid (alcohol), but not quite sure how you stop the flow through the inlet.

Barrie

Second thoughts - its a Radio Controlled drinks dispenser Laughing
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 7:47 pm

close but why ?

Peter[/quote]

Lazy wine maker? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 10:29 pm

one armed tippler?
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Liquid flows into the cup, at a certain level it's weight overcomes the counter balance and the cup lowers the servo is used to tip the liquid out. As to why only the designer and the maker know so TELL us please.

Ps. It's not complete as there is no liquid flow control.
Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 10:51 pm

the centre flywheel looking item has a magnet in it and there is now a hall sensor to mesure the number of times it fills.but this was fitted by the person I made it for.

Peter
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 12:12 am

part of a still?
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:51 am

Could be a safe driving device having a counter of how much you've had to drink. Or not.
Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:00 am

Ok ill put you all out of your misery, it is a rain gauge, it is for a friend down in Southampton, he grows grapes and likes to monitor the weather through out the year he uses one of these micro PC's to data log so with a bit of software he can have a system that logs for weeks without touching it .
the way this works is he has a square collecting tray that feeds down to this , he can work out rain fall by the size of the tray , it feeds in to the small beaker and when full it drops down as it does it it triggers a switch (hall effect)but it was made to do it with a micro switch, this logs the number of emptying cycles and time and also tips it in to a small tray that goes to a drain (well out side)the reason it is so complicated is that he wanted something that will even measure small rain showers and there time as well as normal rain the water goes in to a small tank before it goes to the rain gauge a bit like a float chamber to slow the rate in a severe down pour but normal rain it just goes virtually straight though .
the gauge does not need anyone to empty the tank or take measurements like you would need with some of the ones I have seen .
the chap built me my first data logger for a boat based on the same small pc it still works great but I have moved to an eagle tree and a Jeti now.
so thanks for having a guess ill put one more up . it's a strange one this
thanks for reading

Peter
Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:05 am

Ok another one this one was made for me by me for a specific problem I have it is in daily use by me.

Peter
Guess what this is Dscf0014
Guess what this is Dscf0015
Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:09 am

And the last picture for now O k what does it do or what is it for?

Peter

Guess what this is Dscf0018
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:11 am

Don't be mean Peter give us a look at the other end please.
So far I'd say a pick-up tool.
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:55 am

well, it's definately a tool for gripping something round and possibly with a cross piece on it, the collet on the black end is kept tight by the spring on the other end, and the crossbar for pulling the spring loose to load something into the black end.....but what do you need to do, daily that you would need to use it for.....????

I do know one thing though, Peter......your engineering skills are just out of this world........truly beautiful workmanship.

neil.
Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:29 am

Damien wrote:
Don't be mean Peter give us a look at the other end please.
So far I'd say a pick-up tool.

Well Damien, It wasent used on my last trip to see my Son in Aus, to help them locals away from a Barbie.!

Damien you have pictures of both ends, I know it takes a lot for you Ausies to rember what was in the previous post Smile Laughing Laughing

Peter
Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:32 am

Ill let it run for 24 hours if you dont mind Gents, to get a bit of interest if anyone has any thing else to post we could keep it going and genarate a bit of interest

thanks

Peter
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:02 am

At the time I typed my post it appears you were posting the pic I asked for Peter.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Is it for getting hangers out of a wardrobe Peter?

Dave
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:14 pm

With an 'o' ring on the black end so it will release it is a pick up or placement tool as it appears the black end swells when the rod in the handle is pushed swelling the end after it is placed in whatever it's designed to pick up.

Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Damien wrote:
With an 'o' ring on the black end so it will release it is a pick up or placement tool as it appears the black end swells when the rod in the handle is pushed swelling the end after it is placed in whatever it's designed to pick up.

correct but what does it attach to ?
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:49 am

Bath plug?
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:55 am

Plug for caustic or chemical bath?
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 1:01 am

Hi Damien

I think Peter said it was in daily use so I opted for bath plug - LOL they should have a chain but always seem to be broken off.

Dave
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 2:21 am

Possibly Dave but a normal bath or sink you'd just use your arm and dive in perhaps it's for a screw in plug on s drum or in ground tank and the '0' ring applies pressure and allows the unscrewing to happen.
Back to top Go down
HS93
HS93

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 2:38 am

Ok it's for picking up CD's/DVD's and for placing them in the drive, I have problems moving and bending down and our dvd was near the floor at the time I built this as I was sick of asking for assistance , also when I dropped a cd/dvd for my pc so i made this one wet Sunday afternoon works great

Peter

ok someone else have a go
Guess what this is Dscf0019
Guess what this is Dscf0021
Back to top Go down

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 3:08 am

Well done.
Back to top Go down
jimmy2310
Gunner
Gunner
jimmy2310

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 8:20 am

That is brilliant,

Jimmy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Guess what this is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess what this is   Guess what this is Empty

Back to top Go down

Guess what this is
Page 1 of 1