TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rusting things up

Go down 
+3
Footski
Norseman
AlanP
7 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I would appreciate any tips on adding a bit of rust to my railings and A frame on the Shrimper as I have never done this before.

Alan
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Alan

I can't vouch for it but you might look at http://metalgeek.com/archives/2006/06/13/000065.php

Dave
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 10:15 pm

I use rusting powders, which are exactly that, powders that are the same colour as rust. They come in various shades are are simply applied by brush, blown off to leave just the right amount of rusting and then sealed with a matt varnish.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Would the powders allow you to produce this type of thing?

Rusting things up 1650910

Dave
Back to top Go down

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:04 am

Yes!!!!!!!!! I recently bought 2 sets of 3 colours on ebay to age and de-plastic a RTR Carrier I also bought on ebay made by Tamiya in 4 packs A,B,C,D. i GOT THE c &d

The link shows the colours for C & D.
Hope it helps.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160660267496?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3907wt_952

To get the weathering in your picture after finishing you would be classed as a Master weatherer.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:11 am

then this was done by a master weather then?

Dave
Back to top Go down

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:14 am

Yup Mother nature and her elements lol
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:16 am

Nope - you're wrong Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:19 am

so enlighten me.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:33 am

Think big - not all models are small - and I've misled you just a little Shocked

It is - and it isn't a ship - it is King Kong's 'Venture'. Most of what was seen was scenery additions I believe. They took most of that off before scuttling her. I saw a picture of the wheelhouse on the back of a truck.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3309041/King-Kong-ship-meets-watery-grave

Lol Dave
Back to top Go down

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:43 am

Yes a Props master and master artist/weatherer on that scale probably a mix of powders and airbrush Dave.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:51 am

It's amazing what they can do though isn't it. A little bit off topic - during WW2 a guy made a whole port disappear - can't remember where (Turkey?), but in peacetime he was a magician I think and he ended up in camoflage for MOD.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:54 am

see http://greg.org/archive/2010/05/29/the_greatest_camo_story_ever_told.html
Back to top Go down

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:56 am

Your up late m8, I'd seen that story before very clever man.
Back to top Go down
HS93
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
HS93

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 2:22 am

whoever painted the rust on that mock up obviously has never seen a rusty ship, the rusty boats I have seen have it emanating from joints rivet heads and the like, not the middle of un dented panels also rust does not travel upward to that degree like on some of the joints. there is a site that does a lot of plastic kits that has some nice weathered boats, I saw a nice boat built by an ex mayhemer that had been weathered, I am not a fan of weathering but this look right and one of the few boats I have seen that has not been over weathered.

peter
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:22 am

Yes well spotted Peter. It is a terrible job..........I am not in the least bit jealous of such work!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mark
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
Mark

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 pm

real rust

[img:a7bf]http://rcmb.forumotion.com/Rusting things up 2010_04110024[/img]
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:29 pm

I don't think that is proper rust, it's been painted on Very Happy

Anyway, no need for this thread any longer, I'v been told in no uncertain terms not to rust up the Shrimper Sad Very Happy

Alan
Back to top Go down
The Mariners Way
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Mariners Way

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 7:23 pm

I know this an old thread and is probably of no use whatsoever, but I tried using real rust!!.........this was years ago when I used to build 1/35th scale armour models, I used iron filings and swarf from the steel shop I was working in when I was on the railways, I let the filings stand in water for a few hours and the rust appeared quite quickly, I let nature do its thing and eventually the water evaporated and left a ready to use rusty powder behind, I wetted a brush and picked up some of the rust and applied it to pre-selected area on the model I was working on, left it to dry and then when all the weathering etc was done I airbrushed the model with very light coats of either matt or satin varnish.....job done, you can't get closer to a rust colour if you use real rust!!

Hope this helps

Dave
Back to top Go down
Oldsmokey
Gunner
Gunner
Oldsmokey

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 4:36 pm

As dave has said this is now old and most suggestions have gone before.
But I will just add one more to the mix.
I have always believed in there is nothing like the real thing.  Rust, Mud or Grime.

Rust:- my method was to put wire wool into the jar for quick results. Likewise when water evaporated product rust powder. Which can be applied in varying amounts depending on the build up you want. Apply a water mist and it will run and streak like the real thing. Also if you think how the wind alters the direction of rust flow this can be achieved with just air blown over the area (gentle airflow of course).

Rust marks on decks can also be created by placing a piece of mild steel cut to whatever shape you require, spry water where you want the rust mark to appear then lay your MS template leave a few days as the water evaporates and the area dries out you will now have the mark you want.

Mud:- Garden soil run through a fine sieve, or Vacuum cleaner deposits can be applied and a weak PVA solution dribbled on to hold it in place.

This is un-necessary, but I will add it. When happy with the result seal it.
Yes I ran through this once at a club meeting, everyone nodded understand, no questions.
At the lake a week later, one modeller plus “Rain” the rust ran, the mud slid off.
Back to top Go down

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 12:29 am

lol! 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rusting things up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rusting things up   Rusting things up Empty

Back to top Go down

Rusting things up
Page 1 of 1