TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Working Aluminium

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 am

I put this on the Kalakala thread but I think it's better here as well.

Before starting the ally needs to be annealed, smear with edge of a bar of soap and heat until soap turns dark brown then quickly quench in cold water. This should be done whether it's a simple 90deg bend or working curves.

When working aluminium sheet to a curve a Soft Dolly "metal workers forming bag" usually made of leather is needed,  but modellers can get away with a cloth backed vinyl bag filled with sand a google search for metal forming bag came up with this Link.

https://andyidsinga.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/metal-work-my-first-hammer-forming-project/

A ball ended wooden mallet of about 2" is used to beat the metal to shape "I see in the link he uses metal hammers for a creditable job, although much harder to work with.

Annealing needs to be done frequently as the pounding hardens the aluminium.

Last edited by Damien on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Nice one Damien cheers
Back to top Go down
Hellmut1956
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptySat Oct 20, 2018 1:32 am

I have started to publish my report of building my model sailboat Carina from scratch in this forum.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t1794-building-my-sailboat-carina-from-scratch

The next stuff I will publish is building the deck frame with aluminum. The result is quite nice, but aluminum and I have not yet become friends! Practically all joining of parts that would have been nice to do by soldering were done using M3 x 16 mm. I would be very willing later during this winter learn from those of you that know how to it!
Back to top Go down
Hellmut1956
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Has anyone here personal experience welding aluminum or/and aluminum and brass?
Back to top Go down

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Not having done it myself a Web search came up with this Hellmut I hope it helps.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-weld-aluminum/
Back to top Go down
Hellmut1956
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 12:07 am

I have found tutorials on Youtube that look great. The problem is that on modeling tradeshows I always get to see the things working. But when I try to do the same at home it fails. That is why asking if somebody has personal experience I would like to share information with him. Specially I want to see how his setup looks like and how it works and to have the person judge what I got. Sadly now it finally became autumn and it is called and wet outside. I would prefer to do my learning experiences welding outside.
Back to top Go down

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 9:45 am

A web search for "silver soldering brass" should help or a search for brazing may also be helpful although brazing requires higher heat.
Back to top Go down
Hellmut1956
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 2:27 am

Sad! So apparently no one has personal experience to share? Thx anyway!
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 9:07 am

Hi Helmut, it might be worth joining the forum in the link bellow, it is called "Metalmeet" and all things metal are covered there but you have to join to view the posts, I have been a member for several years and the folk on there are from all over the world , there combined knowledge is immense.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/register.php?s=150d9d9bf329fc0d75050dc3c6b0b418&do=signup

Enjoy 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Hellmut1956
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Thx.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Glad I could help Helmut Very Happy It might be worth other folk who are interested in working with metal taking a look too, the site covers about all most all metal working from car restoration to art and beyond.

2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Working Aluminium  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working Aluminium    Working Aluminium  Empty

Back to top Go down

Working Aluminium
Page 1 of 1