TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello again

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Hello again   Hello again EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi all,
I thought this had died a while back, so I gave up looking!
Phil tells me otherwise, so welcome all back to what at one time was a very promising forum.

Let's hope it resurrects itself quickly and permanently.

Vintagent
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi Martin and welcome back mate so glad my little bit of administration had at least one result lol!
Back to top Go down

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Got to do one's bit to get good friendly forums going. I may be into model flying currently, but I keep a watching brief on most of my many modelmaking and other interests. A good forum helps an interest. A bad one can leave such an unpleasant taste in the mouth that I have left interests to fizzle because of it.

Sign of the cyber times, I suppose.

My boating interests will now be mainly of a sailing nature, since my model of the Victorian Cutter Vanity is in frame and there's an 80 year old Marblehead waiting for my attentions soon.
I find I need to be doing more with my boats than just steer them round. I need the extra and constant involvement of sailing.
Failing that, I'll go flying!

Good luck with the forum.
All be nice now.
Vintagent
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:48 pm

an 80 yr old marblehead eh and I thought my early 60's veron MFV was an old classic lol! proper looking forward to seeing some pics of that one matie
Back to top Go down

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:05 pm

People seem to give me stuff!
An old friend who's always given stuff to me (as I have him in a smaller way) decided that the Marblehead he's had for yonks would be better off with me. It came from the attic of a house which belonged to Tommy Sopwith, a well known yachtsman and model yachtsman. So it could be one of his. That would place it around then. Its style and design says "old" too. It still has Braine steering gear.
I'd love to keep it like that but have nowhere with an accessible edge all round, so it will be discreetly fitted with radio and the Braine gear kept visible if not working.
It's in safe storage currently at my son's, but I'll get some pics of it soon and put them up here.

I also have a 52 year old Sea Urchin which I've just restored to original condition and a 50 year old Crash Tender. I do like a bit o' vintage. The motors are equally vintage...very early Kako and Taycol respectively.

Cheers,
Martin
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Very nice I'm afraid I've hidden reasonably modern radio gear in my veron MFV and a modern motor and NiMh bty and updated it with a lot of lights however did go for GOW bulbs as white leds would've been the wrong colour and too bright to look right
Back to top Go down

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 12:09 am

The Sea Urchin is sans radio. It's like it always was. Ideal for showing the grandson, who has the energy to dart round the pond and catch it!
The Crash tender used to have R.E.P. single channel, till some bounder nicked it, so It'll get my old Mini-Hex Propo from the 70s. I never actually finished it! 50 years later I'll definately finish it this winter!
It makes me laugh to see people restoring them and I haven't yet finished mine!

The modern stuff will go in the aircraft. Can't risk them falling on someone!

Cheers,
Martin
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 8:26 am

Funny that when I was restoring the veron MFV there was someone on the same web site building the same kit it had been sat on his wardrobe unopened in its box since 1964 when he was given it as a present! a 40 + yr old kit still in its box must've been worth something lol!
Back to top Go down

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 8:47 am

That must be great. To lift the lid on a kit for the first time in 40 years! A great "leave" rather than a great find.
Veron kits, much missed by everyone. Boats and planes.

I was given a bit of history by a new pal the other day. He just presented me with an Impex R/C model car in its box! About as lo-tech as they come, it pre-dates even my early attempts at the sport donkey's years ago. Proof of its age is that the body is GRP and is a reasonably scale version of a Lola T70 Mk IIIb.

I don't know what to do with it, but it''s nice to have!

Cheers,
Martin
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 9:57 am

that car does indeed sound very old mate and like you say a nice possesion to have would be nice to see it working
Back to top Go down

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 10:57 am

Just another for the list Phil!

Storage is a problem, too. I thought biggish boats were bad enough, but model aircraft are far worse and far more fragile!
A friend has 51 in his sheds and loft. But we don't have a loft, just a couple of old caravans.
Oh well, more jobs!

Cheers,
Martin
Back to top Go down
Kleban
Midshipman
Midshipman
Kleban

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Hello Vintagent.

Good to see you posting on the forum.