TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cormorant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Empty
PostSubject: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 5:53 pm

Having only just been introduced to this site by Martin555 I am half way through this build, but I think I have got enough information and photographs to go back to the beginning.
Up until recently my real interest was in scale warships from HMS Hood to coastal craft. Looking for a change, but still wanting to retain the scale and detail,  it was suggested that I try Antares.
She is based on a 1920's boat 1:20 scale. Length 1260mm, beam 220mm, mast height above deck 1240mm, overall height 1530mm.

The kit is quite expensive (approx £400), but the rigging kit (approx £190) is really an essential. The sails kit is also approx £180, but it was suggested by Jotika, where I purchased the kit, that for £20 I could get the necessary amount of sail cloth and make my own - all I needed was an old sewing machine. More of that later!

Having said that, the kit is of very good quality - see image 3.

I have said enough, I think by way of introduction, so those of you who want to see more of this very 'interesting', in all senses of the word, build, please tune in next time.

Ps. I am still getting the hang of posting photos, so my apologies about the orientation of image 3, or is it image 1?

There is nothing to do with the fibre glass hull except fit it out - image 3Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0712

The rigging kit and although I haven't priced each item, it cost me £189Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0711

Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0710

Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptyWed Aug 17, 2022 8:04 am

Hi Cormorant,

That looks a very nice kit altho a little expensive.
But when you break it down it to hours of enjoyment and the time taken to build then it is not to bad.

All hobbies are expensive nowadays.

As you say the rigging kit is essential to be able to trim the sails when used for Radio Control.

I am looking forward to seeing further updates.

Keep up the good work.

Martin555.

Swab and cormorant like this post

Back to top Go down
cormorant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptyFri Aug 19, 2022 5:33 pm

First job is to make and fit the rudder, prop-shaft and motor. I know you purists will say, "But it has sails, a motor is cheating!?" Well, with my sailing skills, I need all the help I can get!
As you can see from the picture, the rudder is large and made from laminating three pieces of ply, sandwiching the rudder post and cutting a large notch for the prop.
The motor comes with suppressors and cable requiring some basic soldering skills. Also provided is a laser cut ply motor mount, which, when assembled gives adjustment with the supplied nuts and bolts. A very nice touch.

The pre-cut servo board is next and simply glues onto bearers on the hull sides.

The final step, prior to fitting the deck, is to glue the hull reinforcements for the chain plates to the inside of the hull. It is essential that you carefully fix the positions of these ply reinforcements from the plan, otherwise the chain plate fixing screws have nothing to screw into. Watch this space!!Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0718
Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0719
Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0812

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptyFri Aug 19, 2022 5:52 pm

Hi Cormorant,

The little black beads (I know it is not caviar) in the keel I am assuming is lead beads that is mixed with something to hold them in place
What are they mixed with and dose it come in the kit ?

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
cormorant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptyFri Aug 19, 2022 6:19 pm

Lead shot. Another 'extra', but luckily a sailing friend had 'some left over', which he was quite happy to donate to a good cause. The required amount is 3200g poured into the fin and sealed with two part epoxy. It is important not to use too much epoxy in one go as it gets hot when curing.
I forgot to mention that the 'Propulsion Set' (motor, shaft, mount etc') is also an extra. 

I have stopped adding up the cost of the 'extras'. Too scary.

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptyFri Aug 19, 2022 6:38 pm

Hi Cormorant,

The way the prices are adding up no wonder it is not caviar LOL!!!

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
cormorant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 1:09 pm

Before I continue, please remember that (to quote Morecambe and Wise), "I read all the instructions, but not necessarily in the right order".

Now the sub-deck, which is in two halves and built onto a building board get it flat. Stringers and formers are added to give the deck camber when it is glued on. Hatchways and deck openings are laser cut.

The planks on the deck are laser engraved, which I don't like, so I decided to plank using pear wood. Pear was advised as the lack of grain would not affect the scale. I used 6mm x 0.5mm planks and 10mm x 0.5mm for the centre plank and the edges.

I have planked decks before and have been very pleased with the results. It is important to start from the centre, ensuring this plank runs accurately fore and aft, then work outward.
Then it all started to go pear shaped (sorry about the pun). For some reason, after fixing the centre plank, I decided to glue to edge planks  on. Working outward on the port side I found there were annoying gaps when I got to the edge plank.I filled these gaps as best I could.
Please don't ask me why, but I thought it would look better if I worked outside in on the starboard side, so any gaps would be in the centre of the deck and not be so visible! This, of course, led to a variation in the run of the planks on either side of the centre.
I can only put this down to my age! 
It didn't help, when at a later stage in the build, I found that the toe rails covered most of the anomalies  around the edge.
Anyway, you will see from the photos that the finished deck doesn't look too bad and as Martin 555 points out, a lot of this can be hidden with coils of rope here and there.

Once the deck was in place on the hull it was time, or so I thought, to glue the skirt around the edge. No! Before the skirt, the three chain plates need to be screwed onto the hull and into the ply reinforcement I spoke about in an earlier post.
Luckily, it was just a matter of prizing the skirt away from the hull and the chain plates, made from thin brass, slid through easily. Drilling and screwing the first two chainplates was fine, but despite carefully measuring, I had glued the ply reinforcement inside the hull too far forward. This meant that the third chainplate had nothing to screw into. I was unable to gain enough access inside the hull through the relatively small hatchways to glue any more reinforcing, so I had to use M1.6mm nuts and bolts. Those of you who have used nuts and bolts of this size will know how difficult and fiddly they are to handle!

Enough of my ramblings for the time being.Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0813
Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0814
Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0910

Please tune in in a few days if you would like to hear more of my deliberate mistakes.

Happy building!

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 1:23 pm

Hi Cormorant,
Considering the problems you have been having with the deck I think the deck came out very well.
As for the nuts showing on the outside of the chainplate maybe a strategically placed fender would hide this little problem too.

Martin555.

cormorant likes this post

Back to top Go down
cormorant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 2:05 pm

Another good tip. Thanks Martin.

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 9:56 pm

How have you simulated the caulking between the deck planks it's really nicely done.

Martin555 and cormorant like this post

Back to top Go down
cormorant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 8:31 am

Thank you.
I used a sharp 2H pencil. Prior to this, the final sanding of the planks was done 'crossways' so the sawdust filled in any gaps. The first thin coat of varnish was also applied crossways which sealed in the sawdust. 

Another way of simulating the caulking is by running the side of the pencil lead along each side of the plank prior to gluing in place.

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 12:45 pm

Well I'll go to the bottom of our stairs! Why didn't I think of that thank you so much for the tip it's much appreciated. Very Happy

Martin555 and cormorant like this post

Back to top Go down
cormorant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptySat Sep 03, 2022 2:35 pm

Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_1023
Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_1025
Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_1024
I am beginning to form a love/hate relationship with this kit. The photographs in the instructions are all close up so do not give a wider view of the rigging, masts and spars. I have had to resort to a youtube blog.
The location of fixtures such as cleats, fairleads, chainplates are different in the photographs, drawings and the photograph on the front of the box.
The drawings do not locate hooks and cleats on the boom so I am having to guess from the restricted photographs in the instructions.
There are not enough materials - I am short of wire rigging by about a metre, 8 bottle screws and spell strip.

I know I am not the best at reading instructions, but this does not cover the problems I have outlined.
Luckily, I bought the kit from Jotika, so I will be having a chat with the boss next week.

Right, I have had my rant so the next part of the build was very satisfactory. This was making hatchways, companionways and all the other deck fittings.
Once again the parts were all laser cut and of good quality. There was plenty to do, including 'riveting' the brass edges around the deckhouse windows using cut off brass nails.

Once sanded and varnished I was very pleased with the overall effect.

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptySat Sep 03, 2022 2:55 pm

Hi Cormorant,

It is all this detail work that really makes a boat come alive.
You are doing a great job keep it up.

I know what you mean about a love hate relationship with your boat as for mine I just love to hate it LOL!!!

Martin555.

cormorant likes this post

Back to top Go down
cormorant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptyFri Sep 09, 2022 7:45 pm

Next job is to make a start on the mast and spars, and I started with the jib boom. This comes as a square strip of wood which needs to be rounded, up to the point it fixes to the deck.
It is held onto the deck with glue and brass plates, which are screwed down.The fitting on the end is made up of four straight brass strips which need to be bent to form what you see in the photo.
I tried gluing these together, but found the joints not strong enough so I soldered them. Now soldering two pieces together is fine, but of course there are three more joints with very little space between them. To prevent the joints coming apart as I soldered the next one, I used small a small paper clip on each joint. Having previously tinned the inside of the brass at each joint I just added heat to melt the solder. This may seem common sense to all you proficient solderers out there, but quite an achievement for me.
My metal working is such that the inside diameter of the fitting was slightly on the large side to fit over the end of the jib boom. I got the fit as snug as possible and then used two-part epoxy (as my mate would say, "fill it up with glue").
The bobstay chain can now be attached.
To complete the set up the prow shrouds are attached to the front of the boom and fixed to the foredeck with chain plates. You will see that 0.5mm wire rope and tensioners are  used, which is the same for all the standing rigging.Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0911
Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0912
Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Img_0913

Fred 1948 and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. EmptySat Sep 10, 2022 9:38 am

Hi Cormorant,
I think you have reached the part where it starts to get a bit more tricky, getting the rigging to work properly.
You are doing a really great job on her.
Keep it up.

That instruction manual look quite comprehensive.
What Varnish are you using ?

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.   Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'. Empty

Back to top Go down

Krick Gaff Rigged Racing Yacht 'Antares'.
Page 1 of 1