TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PS Waverley

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 9:18 pm

This was my Christmas 2020 present its the Mountfleet Models hull which is a bit thin in places I'm determined not to start it until the Orca is done it will just rest here for a while as i gather courage, knowledge and materials to start probably after Christmas or during the Christmas holiday if I'm lucky. Paddle wheels will be from model engineers laser and will be feathering type but I'll probably go for independent control to help steering. PS Waverley Img_2049PS Waverley Img_2051
PPS Waverley Img_2050

davidjt and Fred 1948 like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 11:42 am

I've been doing my research into doing this and I'm convinced it's too much for my present capabilities and resources, so I'm going to start it and learn on the fly! I'll be asking for advice I am on paddleducks but it's seriously quiet on there though there's a lot of information already on there.
Its going to have independent paddle control via Heng Long tank gearboxes - not realistic but I want manouverability over realism I'm lighting it up like a Christmas tree and doing a semi detailed cabin as the windows allow some detail to be seen.
Trip to local model shop for some timber and we're off! 
What you reckon 3 years and the last of my hair falling out?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 1:33 pm

At least you've got the hull ready made. Will you be building the paddle wheels? 
Good luck,

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 1:37 pm

Something to inspire you!

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66535.0.html

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 3:05 pm

Paddle wheels - unsure i want feathering wheels so I've a choice of getting laser cut and bolting together or a set of beautiful 3D prints i found but I need to sell a kidney.
Making them myself is an option but I've only got hand tools i could do with access to a lathe -at the moment I'm weighing up options, there was a set of graupner paddles on e bay last week £100.00 to start!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 3:33 pm

I once made a set by hand. They were not very successful, but at the time there were no options - the Graupner ones came along later. If you are on Padleducks my build may still be there. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 9:27 pm

Any chance of a link Barrie? 
I've gone over the Mountfleet plans all afternoon and I'm more confident than I was, it's big and full of repetitive deck fittings but I'll beat it. The main bug bear is the paddles they are the biggest challenge.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySun May 01, 2022 8:37 am

It was well over 12 years ago - I can't even remember my log in. The site has had new owners since then I believe.

Try searching for Princess Elizabeth - it wont let me unless I sign up.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Master
Master
davidjt

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySun May 01, 2022 2:02 pm

hi swab,
 i built my own waverley paddles from plasticard  they work ok not feathered though and have lasted some 12years as i started from scratch in 2006 finished it 2 years later sails on two sepperate motors left and right 

PS Waverley 2012_014

this is here complete

PS Waverley Img_0012 

this is the frame before planking

PS Waverley Dscf0910

this is a close up the main drive shaft it fits into a meccano wheel boss with out tyre 
you should have a lot of fun building as it is such a big build take your time i made vertually every part baring figures. i personally only built to my standards not a museum.
have fun 

david

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySun May 01, 2022 2:56 pm

Any internal photos Dave? I'm still planning mine out.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Master
Master
davidjt

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySun May 01, 2022 6:28 pm

hi swab, 
when i get the chance i will take some photos, my advice to you is when you do get around to putting it on water is finding the centre of gravity i found i had to put 2 lead acid batterys right in the centre i will show you when i have photos, other wise you will find it will not stay level i put lead all over bottom first but it just kept rolling to ether side allmost sinking so be aware.

david
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySun May 01, 2022 10:38 pm

I thought of using lead acids for the ballasting  benefits, look forward to the photos!
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySun May 08, 2022 8:22 pm

I've started on the easy stuff first by cutting out the windows on studying photos the frames sit behind the hull not inset so with a bit of plastic angle i can produce quite nice frames as these are quite a feature. I'm buying the decking next weekend as it's pay day I'll work out a deck plank size and get them at the same time.
PS Waverley Img_2067
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptyThu May 12, 2022 9:14 pm

Think of the tune to Rawhide!
Filing, filing, filing though the dusts a gathering keep those files rubbing raw fingers!!!!!!! 
First set of Windows cut out ready for an outer frame I'll not do the full frame till I've got the deck in.
PS Waverley Img_2069

barriew likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptyThu May 12, 2022 9:22 pm

I'm going to do a lower deck to give me a forward dining room to see through the windows I'll do a sort of a optical illusion by only replicating easily spotted details such as a few tables and deck patterning, there's going to be lights but not glaringly bright i want it lit or 'twinkly ' as the wife put it so I need some detail.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySun May 15, 2022 9:54 pm

Bow windows all filed out and the first set of outer framing just installed on the port side. Waverley's  window aren't flush with the hull plating but inset I've used 3/32" plastic angle as an outer frame which I'm going to fill and get flush into the hull i can then add a window frame and glass but inset as the original. That's going to be delicate so the decks going in first. There's the stern windows to be cut out after I've done the bow there's still two more smaller ones to be cut of in the bow but I haven't marked those out as yet.
I was listening to an Audio book and was listening to the epilogue thinking 'when this finishes in packing it in' so I actually did all the framing on the port cut outs not just these four but didn't photo them.  EmbarassedPS Waverley Img_2072
PS Waverley Img_2073
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PS Waverley Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS Waverley   PS Waverley EmptySun May 15, 2022 10:17 pm

I need some technical advice I'm using some balsa section to support the decks which is 1/16" ply but I'm going to put planking over this to replicate the deck not just draw it on. I'm going to use the frame profiles on the supplied plans to add some frames inside so I can put in some containment areas for lead shot ballasting and for the various drives and power systems plus stiffen up the hull.
 What material do you suggest for the planking and framing?
I've got quite a lot of 1/8" ply left from the Orca would that do for internal framing? I can double it up for added beef if needed.
 I'll be supporting the deck with some section seeing as it's thin section.
The planking is going to be stained a greyish tone so a reddish hardwood won't take the colour very well I'll take the edge off the planks with a view to be using a coloured filler to scrape on to do caulking as it's quite noticeable on the real thing and the colour comes from frequent scrubbing & cleaning.
Back to top Go down

PS Waverley
Page 1 of 1