TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Matchbox corvette rebuild

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Matchbox corvette rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 10:39 pm

This was bought in 1979 on day of release from Beatties in Birmingham it was my dad's favourite build and I got it back when he died, when we moved house it got smashed down to component level in the move. I've managed to patch it together in fits and starts but I've found out about a Warship only day on July 25th st Bournville so I'm going to complete it. 
I've got a few photos but none from the start and once again my photographic skills leave me open mouthed.

Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2015
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2016Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2014
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2015
I can't go full on super detailed build as it's beyond full repair and my budget won't stretch I've scratched some better than kit components but paint will help to pull it together.
I'm having a new knee on the 23rd so I'll have chance to complete this and sail it.

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 10:49 pm

Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2017

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 6:51 am

SWAB - is the knee op in June or July? If July I think you will be lucky to be able to sail on the 25th. I have had both knees replaced. I was in hospital for 3 days in both cases. Having said that, the op is certainly well worthwhile. Just may sure you do the physio.
Good luck,
Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 8:09 am

It's next week on the 23rd I'm determined it's going to work I've still got full movement but there's no cartilage left and my lower leg is distorted outwards by a few degrees.
I'm lucky my works health insurance is doing it privately so it's best materials being used as well manufacturer approved spares you could say.
I'm off work now so I'll get the sub assemblies put back together and touch up the paintwork.Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2018

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 10:28 am

And yes it's three nights in dock i missed the edit deadline.
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 7:15 pm

Good luck with the knee job Swab , I'm in the same day but for Laser treatment on my eye [ ah the joys of getting older eh ....]

been following your builds with great interest , and hope to add some of mine soon but my apple formate doesn't seem like this Forum Evil or Very Mad

What scale is the build as I have some  1/96 scale bits and bobs in my slop chest which may help if you let me know ill dig in there
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 9:15 pm

Thanks for the good wishes it's 1/72nd scale unfortunately.

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 10:25 pm

Ah thats a shame , but I will look anyway just in case as I built a number of plastic flower class for friends sons which the bits have collected from , I'll let you know what there is Here .
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 5:48 pm

Ok been rummaging around and found some crew for you the right size 1/72nd scale Swab if that helps , and if you wish some 1/96 scale depth charge throwers and depth charges [ which whilst the wrong scale you could use to scale up ?]
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks Ivor my mate runs a model shop and got me the royal navy figures from Hecker and Goros and I've scratchbuilt some throwers which I'm quite chuffed with.
Saying that thank you I'm quite touched by the offer I've had no help on other forums and people like you make this place better.
https://www.fredericus-rex.eu
https://www.scalemates.com
 you may have to copy and paste the link I've no idea why I can't post a proper link they are beautiful figures.

Fredericus link corrected - removed a full stop. Barrie

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Your more than welcome swab , pleased to have been of help , we all need help at some time or other its just that some offer it ...others expect it .

I was very lucky as when I started others helped me a lot as although a practical modeller I just didn't no where to get things from or in some cases the right things to get .......so always willing to help where I can ..

Hope you manage to complete it and keep us updated 

Kind regards

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 9:57 pm

https://www.zinnfigur.com/out/pictures/master/product/1/848_KSHG244.jpg
https://www.zinnfigur.com/out/pictures/master/product/1/848_KSHG209.jpg
https://www.zinnfigur.com/out/pictures/master/product/1/848_KSHG206.jpg
These are the figures I've got but until I paint them it's going to be a ghost ship Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 9:18 pm

I've managed some paintwork repairs and added some railings it's painfully slow (literally) to work at the moment so it's 30 - 50 minutes daily.
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2021

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 5:21 pm

My workshop chair came from my previous employer when I was engineering manager i was asked to order 15 chairs for the new offices but I sneaked in an extra one for my own purposes. The sixteenth arrived late but was duly 'lost' on putting it together i found it was not the same spec as the others being nylon based instead of cast aluminium so finally 'crime doesn't pay' was proved right I'm now stuffed until the new base arrives probably Monday we've got nothing that matches my bench height and no I'm not overweight.
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2022
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Railings, railings and more railings! my seats repaired i want to ballast this by the weekend so I'm pushing on with this for the 25th.
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2024
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2025
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2026

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 6:58 am

Very smart - are those white metal stantions? A very comprehensive collection of paint there also.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 8:40 am

Yes they're white metal too fragile really but the brass equivalent look like fence posts, to be honest the whole thing is fragile Its not going to be a regular sailor. I've got another one to build which I've had for years i can make that a bit more beefy with what I've learned. I had to restore this it was my dad's favourite model it's been motorised on  a budget I've no problem with shelving it and only using it occasionally.
That's only a small proportion of my paint doing radio control, scale modelling and painting 28mm Napoleonic figures generates a lot of different types plus I love to try new things to escape the TV.  Cool

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 9:00 pm

Jigging in the rigging! much simplified owing to the way the inner hull access works.
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2027

barriew and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySat Jul 24, 2021 7:09 pm

Finally got re-started now it's cooled down, she's got her teeth back:
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2028

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 10:52 pm

Got the crew on board and the bridge detailing done I'm nearly done with this apart from a couple of oerlikons on the bridge which I've got to order. I want to finish my shark boat by the end of August I'm back at work Wednesday which will slow me down.
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2029
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2030

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 8:53 am

Hi Swab,

She is looking really good, you are doing an excellent job.
Looking forward to your next update.
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks she's sailing today for the first time, then I'm shelving her till I get the oerlikons 3d printed. I'm still waiting for the white  ensign i ordered to arrive as well.

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 10:02 am

Hi Swap,
Good luck with her first sailing.
I hope to see some photos of her on the water.
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 5:20 pm

Too windy for really venturing out at Bournville so I took it into a bit of a dead zone the Yacht men pointed out, she sailed well and at scale waterline. I think the steering may need tweaking as it's not very manouverable but it was really being moved by the wind.
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2031
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2032

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 5:38 pm

Hi Swab,
She looks good on the water, And i bet she made a few heads turn.
So What's next, or will you be dropping back on to one of your other projects ?
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 6:46 pm

I sailed between rain showers i had the whole pool and park to myself pure stealth mission i didn't hang around as it was going to rain again and there's not much shelter at Bournville.
Back to the Orca now then my Christmas 2020 present!

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 6:51 pm

The weather has been a little strange lately.
As they say if it's wet on the outside then get wet on the inside.LOL!!

Will you be doing some more work on your Shark Boat. ?
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 7:05 pm

Once I've finished my dessert!

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 7:07 pm

Excellent i will be watching.
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 5:37 pm

Finally after a couple of duff weeks at work i gave this a proper maiden voyage as it was too rough first time out and I found a leak that needed fixing, however today was perfect i got there late and had the pool to myself again. Totally watertight and not bad waterline steering is not bad i used the kit rudder which could do with a bit more movement. I still need two Oerlikons for the bridge which I think I'll get 3D printed as the white metal alternatives may be a bit too heavy mounted high up for a small vessel. I also need a white ensign. Sorry about the bottom photo i nearly dropped my phone.
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2037
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2038
Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2039 bom

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 5:48 pm

Hi Swob.
She looks really great on the water, and the weathering looks extremely realistic.
You must be extremely happy with her.
Well done.

I bet you are already thinking about your next project LOL!!

Martin.
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 6:06 pm

I'm really happy with this build she sails straight and true with no wind about and looks good with a bit of rough water. I'm barrelling along with other project😀

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi Swab,
Is your other project a secret ? 
I hope you will be doing a build log.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 7:54 pm

Barrelling just My daft sense of humour! My next project is my 2020 Xmas present I've not started it yet so officially it's not an active build. Plus I'm definitely thinking I've bitten off more than i can chew🤦

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 7:57 pm

Swab,

Well if i can help in any way then please give me a shout.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 6:25 pm

I'll post one last picture when I've fitted the bridge Oerlikons which will complete this but for now I'll post one more photo with a bit of progress.
Finally have a flag fitted.Matchbox corvette rebuild Img_2042

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 7:48 pm

Hi Swab,
With that lighting and the camouflage you can see why it is difficult for enemy shipping to see her.
Nice work.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matchbox corvette rebuild   Matchbox corvette rebuild Empty

Back to top Go down

Matchbox corvette rebuild
Page 1 of 1