TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New to RC boating

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dlancaster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

New to RC boating Empty
PostSubject: New to RC boating   New to RC boating EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 8:46 pm

Dear Folks,

Several years ago, I built a Tramp Steamer model by modifying the "Millford Star" fish trawler kit.  I have decided after all this time to convert the model to RC.  I would like to know what size and type of electric motor other builders have used on this kit and what would be recommended for transmitter, receiver, ESC, servos.  How to hook it all up, that sort of thing.  Thanking you in advance for taking the time with me.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

New to RC boating Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to RC boating   New to RC boating EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi - Welcome to the Forum.

I see that you have asked this question on the Mayhem Forum. I would have thought that a 500 series brushed motor was correct for this model, but probably not the Monoperm - these are rather old technology. In the UK I would use a Sealed Lead Acid battery - probably 6 volts. Are these available in the US? Again for Transmitter and Receiver over here I would be looking to a Flysky/Turnigy i6 2.4 ghz set. A 20 amp Speed control is what you need - just make sure it has forward/reverse and NO brake.

If you need a wiring diagram I can send you one if you let me have an email address.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
dlancaster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

New to RC boating Empty
PostSubject: Tramp Steamer RC   New to RC boating EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 9:39 pm

Thank you Barrie,   yes.... I need all the help I can get.  email: dllbjl@comcast.net.  Ok, first question: 6v verses 12v.  If I go with a 6v battery, I can get a 500 series motor from Dumas that comes either 6 or 12v.  If I go 6v, then everything else I add ESC, servos, receiver, will have to be 6v right?  Probably a dumb question.  I just did a test float in my bathtub, adding 5lbs of lead for ballast as a test and the model seems to carry that weight just fine and almost to her waterline.  However, I quickly developed leaks in my stuffing box's, both prop shaft and rudder,  So, am sealing around those areas now with epoxy.  I will use vasiline for stuffing boxes.  Shoot, I don't even know if the prop supplied in the kit will work. Looks right.   Dennis
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

New to RC boating Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to RC boating   New to RC boating EmptyThu Mar 25, 2021 7:10 am

Dennis

Most equipment used in model boats will run on up to 12 volts. The exception would be the receiver and servo, but if you buy an ESC with a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) it will reduce your battery voltage to the 5-6 volts the receiver and servo require. If your ESC doesn't have a BEC, then you will need a 4.8 - 6 volt volt battery for the receiver and servo.

In a model of this type where you need to add a lot of ballast a large SLA contributes to the load. Don't forget also that these ships didn't always sail fully loaded.

It is quite likely that you will receive conflicting advice on Mayhem. There are a lot more active members on that Forum than on here. These are just my ideas based on similar models I have built in the past. I no longer build such large models and therefore use rather different power systems.

The supplied prop will be white metal and will work, but not be very efficient. It should certainly be good enough for initial testing.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

New to RC boating Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to RC boating   New to RC boating EmptyThu Mar 25, 2021 6:35 pm

New to RC boating Img_2076

New to RC boating Img_2077
This boat runs off a 6V SLA battery the run time is quite long ie you get a bit bored with it and need a sit down!
The performance is excellent and the best thing it's simple which is what you need with a first boat.
There's 3 speed controllers covering 2 propellers and 1 bow thruster.
You'll get good advice here without being overwhelmed.
Also welcome to the forum.

barriew and VERCINGETORIX like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

New to RC boating Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to RC boating   New to RC boating EmptyThu Mar 25, 2021 9:11 pm

That's very smart swab - and the wiring is very neat and tidy. One of the advantages of the larger size models. In my smaller models its usually a case of squash it in where you can Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

New to RC boating Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to RC boating   New to RC boating EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 6:04 am

Shame I left the SLA out though! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to RC boating Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to RC boating   New to RC boating Empty

Back to top Go down

New to RC boating
Page 1 of 1