TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help with motor choice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
samc
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Help with motor choice Empty
PostSubject: Help with motor choice   Help with motor choice EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi all
I'[m building miss unlimited kit from dumas and getting near to but in a electric brush type motor.. I'm not racing just having some fun. So i don't want to go real fast or need to or there is not place-or clubs around here to race with...
so I'm thinking of a 775 or 800 series motor... I have a bunch of brush type equipment so i'm sticking with what i know...
Any help would be great... also 
what do you seal the wood with..? I have put epoxy finishing resin inside to give it some strength and water proofing. have not put on the deck and going to give it some paint on the bottom and inside first... but should i seal the outside wood with something first... ???
thanks 
samc
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Help with motor choice   Help with motor choice EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Topic split from other post...

Admin

Yes you should seal the wood of your boat, a good sealer would be several thin layers of lacquer sanded down between coats followed by paint or further clear coats until you achieve the finish you desire.

Some people claim sanding sealer... I find that causes more problems especially with a paint finish... lacquer is relatively stable once cured and dose a good job of sealing wood..

You can of course also varnish it... or if your brave enough 2pac epoxy it...

As for motor choice... dimensions of the boat would help guide to a suitable motor... going big isn’t always best... 755/800/900’s are quite large motors and mostly suitable for models four foot and over anything smaller 600’s are suitable or brushless. Again motor choices are limited to the running gear of the model, 1,2,3 props? Out riggers? Fixed shaft? Flexi shaft? This information will help steer you in the right direction.

Murphy and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com
samc
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Help with motor choice   Help with motor choice EmptyFri Dec 04, 2020 1:59 am

Roadrunner wrote:
Topic split from other post...

You can of course also varnish it... or if your brave enough 2pac epoxy it...

As for motor choice... dimensions of the boat would help guide to a suitable motor... going big isn’t always best... 755/800/900’s are quite large motors and mostly suitable for models four foot and over anything smaller 600’s are suitable or brushless. Again motor choices are limited to the running gear of the model, 1,2,3 props? Out riggers? Fixed shaft? Flexi shaft? This information will help steer you in the right direction.

thank you for an answer...
IT is a dumas miss unlimited about 30 inches long (76 cm)
Yes i have use 2 pt epoxy and it is a pain to use... that is one reason i was asking that question 
also it is hard for me to get a good finish so far on the sides of the 2 boats i have built. they just have problems. i was using spray paint
and just could not get a good finish, i will have to try to spray several coats and sand in between and on the last coat sand it with 1000 to 2000
grit paper,,, and wax it?? may be that will look good... any thoughts on that... 

also the motor.. i did get a 755/ 800 motor...( just could not way to see what it would look like in the boat... and it is big.. and like you said a smaller motor should be better. will have to return it. and get something that is more in line with what you said  
thank you 
samc
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Help with motor choice   Help with motor choice EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi Sam how did you get on ? 

If your new to this it is a mine field if you have no bench mark , let us know how you got on and remember we have all made exactly the same mistakes as you and we are all willing to help you where we can ....so don't throw the towel in let us know where your at and what you need help with ......

Last edited by ivorthediver on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with motor choice   Help with motor choice Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with motor choice
Page 1 of 1