TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ancient Newbie!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
zooma
Midshipman
Midshipman

Ancient Newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Ancient Newbie!   Ancient Newbie! EmptySun Jul 05, 2020 6:02 pm

I have recently joined thercmodelboatforum in my 71st year after being retired for just over 3 years.
My first introduction to making and sailing rc model boats was when I first left school and saved-up my apprenticeship wages to buy my first two channel Launch Link radio control system to use with the Aerokits Swordsman that I had just completed as my first build.
I ran the boat on the River Avon as a member of the Bath Model Boat Club and almost straight away entered the Swordsman in one of the first British Offshore Series races at Torquay using a Merco 61 twin plug engine for power - a great experience and nice to be present when the ED Team launched their new Krack-A-Long boat at this same event powered by their 5cc ED Viking diesel engine.
After years of racing r/c cars and later starting the large scale model racing car racing competitions here in the UK,  I have finally returned to making and enjoying model boats and I am currently trying to make most of the "classic" model boats that I remember from the 1960's.
I have just completed restoring a LesRo Rapier and I am currently attempting to restore a 1954 Chris Craft Corvette that was foolishly rescued from a skip!
Recently I build a Vic Smeed Remora using the free plans that I still have from my December 1964 Model Maker magazine, and I have just sent away for the plans for the Aerokits Swordsman so I can build a replica of my first rc model boat - albeit with electric power this time!
Since retiring I have become a member of the Southport Model Boat Club where I try to run my boats every Sunday - but I have not been able to sail at all this year due to shielding from Covid 19.
When I first joined the SMBC I made my first scale model from plans using plastic card - a 1/24 scale TID Tug that turned out quite well and has been run every week since completion and has also become my "rescue boat" where it has ben called into service a few time to push stranded models back to shore - including my own failed attempts to keep my fast cat the right way up - something that has confirmed that I much prefer mono-hulls and preferably deep V types as they are very predictable and always seem to "rail" nicely.
I enjoy seeing white water behind my boats whenever appropriate (not with my TID Tug !) and since ic engines (that I do understand) are now more or less "out-lawed" everywhere I am able to sail locally,  I am attempting to learn a little more about brushless motors - but only enough to get the right type in the right hull.
Keeping busy is important to me so I have a few more projects lined up including making another Suzie Q to replace the one I gave away along with my first Remora when we moved up north several years ago.
I would like to make all of the Aerokits range and I have enjoyed reading the blog about the Sea Urchin (I have just bought a kit!) and recently won an original  HMM Wavemaster 34 kit on eBay, but all the wood was so badly warped and twisted that I have read all of the parts in new wood - but a t least I got to use the plans!

nellybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Ancient Newbie!
Page 1 of 1