TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sapot
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! Empty
PostSubject: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2018 5:27 pm

So, I’m building the 60 inch (1.5 meter) Carol Moran Harbor Tug by Dumas, the hull is completely planked and sanded. Now it’s time to lay fiberglass cloth and z-poxy resin the hull, not being familiar with this process I ask for advice ( yes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions). One of the recommendations is “Why not use Flex-Seal?” For those that have not seen the tv commercials, it a rubberized product that when painted on dries to a rubberized finished. Wow! That’s a great idea! I’ll use Flex-Seal instead of of Fiberglass, brilliant!
So, I go to Home Depot and by Flex-Seal, disposable gloves, brushes, eye protection, face mask....etc.
Flex-Seal learnings,
1. After it cures, it cannot be sanded nor painted
2. Air is the enemy of Flex-Seal, after a period of time the product starts to set and it leaves small particles on surface.
3. Requires numerous applications of light coats of Flex-Seal
4. The finished product looks like crap.
So, I call Dumas Products and spoke with Doug, explained how I screwed up and we worked out a plan to purchase the materials to build a new hull.
The morale of my saga is called “ Bad Advise”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2018 1:35 am

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2018 7:07 pm

I wonder if the person who gave you that advice has actually ever used the stuff. It's a shame that you've been so badly let down.
There's an article in the latest Model Boats magazine Winter Special about finishing wooden hulls. Modesty forbids me from naming the author, but I'm reliably assured that he knows what he's talking about!
DM
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2018 10:27 pm

inertia wrote:
I wonder if the person who gave you that advice has actually ever used the stuff. It's a shame that you've been so badly let down.
There's an article in the latest Model Boats magazine Winter Special about finishing wooden hulls. Modesty forbids me from naming the author, but I'm reliably assured that he knows what he's talking about!
DM

I wonder who that might be Mr Milbourn...……..is it a good read or does modesty forbid you from saying that too. Thumbup Very Happy
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 pm

"It's a good read", or so I have been told by several people. 'Several' is good enough for me and it also puts a few shillings into the hobby fund - so everyone's happy!
DM
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! EmptyThu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Thumbup Thumbup I shall have to travel far and wide to find a copy...…...there is nowhere on the fylde now that even stocks it sadly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Funnily enough Mr Milbs I do need to talk to you about that suff 

Dave
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 10:37 pm

stavros wrote:

Dave
You know where I am, Dave.
DM
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 11:06 pm

inertia wrote:
stavros wrote:

Dave
You know where I am, Dave.
DM
can you pleas message me your tel no 

dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!   Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you! Empty

Back to top Go down

Major Screw Up, Don’t let this happen to you!
Page 1 of 1