TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nile Gunboat Melik

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Nile Gunboat Melik Empty
PostSubject: Nile Gunboat Melik   Nile Gunboat Melik EmptyMon Nov 06, 2017 6:39 pm

There is a society devoted to recovering Melik from the Sudan but it seems to have given up. But their website has good photos.  There is a paper model available at 1/160 but in my view it is unbuildable.  So I am now building a roughly 1/48 scale R/C version 36" long scaling up from the 1/160 paper model.  I've started with a flat plank as the bottom and am adding block ends and thin ply sides.  I've simply scaled up the sides from the waterline version and added 35mm to make sure it floats.  But I imagine the crew will be getting a wet ride and in any wind it will go sideways.  Under the flat bottom I will fit two long thin shallow plywood keels to simulate the guide blades and to keep the prop and rudders off the ground.

But where can I get 1/48 scale figures to crew it - preferably chaps in topis? Can't see anything on the internet.

Nile Gunboat Melik Images10

Nile Gunboat Melik Melik_10

Nile Gunboat Melik Melik10

Nile Gunboat Melik Malik_10
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Nile Gunboat Melik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nile Gunboat Melik   Nile Gunboat Melik EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Figures for boats that are not on general scales common to our hobby are hard to come by, many of us do t even bother with a figure for that reason.

That said your in luck you asked....

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/models/military-figures/tamiya-figures/148-figures/

My advice is to get figures u can cut and mesh together then paint to your liking which is generally the only way to go.

FrancisMcN
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nile Gunboat Melik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nile Gunboat Melik   Nile Gunboat Melik EmptyFri May 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Did you think of going for 1/32nd instead nd accepting that you would have a model 1/3rd larger?   There are quite a few 1/32nd figures that cover that era available.
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Nile Gunboat Melik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nile Gunboat Melik   Nile Gunboat Melik EmptyFri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm

I got 28mm figures from Hinds so now have officers, soldiers, a trumpeter  - and three bagage camels on the afterdeck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nile Gunboat Melik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nile Gunboat Melik   Nile Gunboat Melik Empty

Back to top Go down

Nile Gunboat Melik
Page 1 of 1