TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question from newbie to this forum

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
restin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Question from newbie to this forum Empty
PostSubject: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum EmptyMon Dec 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Folk,   This is my first post on this Forum and so I say hi to you all.    I am currently building a Dumas Trojan F-31
it is 31 inches in length and 12 across the beam.  Its quite a light build and the original boat was fast.  All my previous builds have been 4 feet plus in length and I know what size motors, props etc for that size boat having had help from other Modelers.   What size motors (Twin)  would I need for the Trojan? They need to be Brushless and run on 3's Lipo.

Kind Regards and Thanks Glyn
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 9:25 am

Question from newbie to this forum Welcome  to the forum Glyn  Question from newbie to this forum Wave

Sorry I can't help with your question but I am not very experienced in the model boat world, it would be good to see some photo's of you models though or even a build blog 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
restin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 3:41 pm

Question from newbie to this forum Sdc10210
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Sorry Glyn, but my knowledge of brushless motors is limited. I think that Just Add Water is probably the one who may be able to help you. I have used brushless motors, but only one at a time and then selected by guess work. lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
restin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks for Response troutrunner and  barriew
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 6:37 pm

I see you posted on the Mayhem forum. You should get a response on there - probably many more than one, and all different lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 9:11 pm

I'm sure that Dave Milbourn, aka inertia will be able to help, but as the guys say,

you'll probably get a million and one differing answers on mayhem, but wait till Dave has had his say...........the guru on all things electronic.

neil.
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum EmptyWed Dec 21, 2016 12:41 pm

My experience with brushless motors is limited to one size (28mm outrunner) and just two model designs, both around 24" long with single screws. That said, the Dumas boat is quite beamy and should take a couple of these small motors quite easily, running on something like a 30mm 3-blade prop. The motor is a Turnigy 2822/17 1100kv. You'll find them on E-Bay or you can get them from HobbyKing (and good luck with their website!). The 30A Fusion Hawk ESC is very suitable, or the V3 Marine Brushless ESC from Component-Shop. You will, of course, need two speed controllers for twin motors, and I'd advise you to buy the appropriate programming card to make setting up easy. BTW the motors fit straight onto those 400-sized glass-nylon mounts with no modifications required (apart from slightly countersinking the holes in the mount). Good luck!

Question from newbie to this forum Member_photoI tried to insert an image but it's not playing ball, so here's a link to a photo of the installation in my 1/16 Huntsman 31 http://www.modelboats.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=33728&p=638643

I have a half-built Dumas Lord Nelson Victory 'tug' sitting in disgrace in my workshop. It's the worst kit I've ever had - by a large margin - and most of the contents thus far have had to be replaced or bodged. I'm now looking at having to make a superstructure from a very stiff foam plastic material which doesn't look as if it will bend in the way it's intended, so that will probably have to be replaced with either ply or styrene. To think what I could have bought with that £250...

DM
Back to top Go down
restin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum EmptyWed Dec 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi Dave,   Thanks for the input,  your suggestion on the 2822 turnigy Motor has been echoed by someone else so thanks for your input because you speak from knowledge and have helped me in the past.   Thanks to for Prop. size and blade type that info was very important for me.  (Good to see you on this Forum) Very Happy

I am not surprised that you had trouble with the Dumas kit as I am on my second Dumas kit and they both left a lot to be desired.   They use iffy materials and their Die's must be worn or blunt.  Thing is, I love some of their designs. 

Kind Regards Glyn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question from newbie to this forum   Question from newbie to this forum Empty

Back to top Go down

Question from newbie to this forum
Page 1 of 1