TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Strong Transparent windows

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ben_tucka
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ben_tucka

Strong Transparent windows Empty
PostSubject: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 10:36 am

How can I get Strong Transparent windows to stay in the boat firmly, 

I'm looking to refit the Pilot boat my granddad built again as when I first did it i was 14 and used gloss paint and silconed the windows in and the front windows where made of wood. so now i want to rebuild it with some kind of scale details but everything will have to be solid and take a good bit of force against them. so the old problem was the windows kept getting knocked through when they where clear plastic material. as this is a pilot boat it handles big waves really well and I intend for it to keep doing the strong winds and big waves as it always has but would like a more refined looking boat, it may even get weathering detail done if I'm feeling creative

so any suggestions of how to make strong clear windows?

Thanks
Ben.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 1:33 pm

I use double sided sticking tape from a garden centre craft shop.......comes with a red backing and you can get it in different widths. it is so strong that I have used it to fasten fittings and chequered wire gauze used for grp repairs before now to the inside of window recesses.

you'll easily recognise the stuff when you see it in the craft area....

neil
Back to top Go down
ben_tucka
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ben_tucka

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyWed Nov 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Thank you for your response, will double sided tape really withstand such a punishment? I will have to look out for some of this red backed double sided, I dont suppose anyone has a eBay link to it do they or a hobby craft link? 

Also what material would you suggest for the clear windows? I'm guessing some form of perspex but what thickness and grade etc?

Thank you for your help 

Ben.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyWed Nov 30, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi ben.....i am a serios model maker and dont use stuff that doesnt work....but this stuff is brilliant n stood up to the heat of steam boiler n twin steam engines in a tug it is so sticky n you havve to be careful where you place it because you have a hell of a job getting a fitting off once stuck with it.......but ive never seen it on ebay but will look for a link to make sure you get the right stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyWed Nov 30, 2016 4:48 pm

As for the "glass" normal thick styrene clear from packages will do or if you want something a little thicker....an empty box of ferero rocher chocs or an old cd case cut up is just as good
Back to top Go down
ben_tucka
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ben_tucka

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:05 am

nhp651 wrote:
Hi ben.....i am a serios model maker and dont use stuff that doesnt work....but this stuff is brilliant n stood up to the heat of steam boiler n twin steam engines in a tug it is so sticky n you havve to be careful where you place it because you have a hell of a job getting a fitting off once stuck with it.......but ive never seen it on ebay but will look for a link to make sure you get the right stuff.

Im sorry if you though i was questioning the tape, I only meant that id never even thought of using double sided tape (my head was going crazy with types of epoxy and double skinned windows frames to slot perspex in. so happy to see simple solutions out of stuff i may already have. CD cases and sticky sound great to me (i must have loads of old CD cases lying in the Attic) 

Is this the tape required
http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/ultra-clear-double-sided-tape-kit-10-pack/609381-1000

Thanks
Ben.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:38 am

hi ben, no I didn't think that at all matey...was just pointing out that I have used a lot of different stuff over the 57 years I've been modelling and have weedled out a load of crap over the years.

that looks the right tape, but can't understand how they can do it so cheaply, as from the hobbycraft stores in packets, one roll at a time, they are around 3 quid a roll, so how he can do ten rolls for a tenner, I don't know............will have a look on ebay for you see if I can see the package.......if it is the same stuff, i'll also be buying a pack of them lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:46 am

this is the stuff I use.     

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-tack-red-super-sticky-double-sided-craft-tape-super-strong-3-6-9-12-25mm-/232150971307?var=&hash=item360d46b3ab:m:m_GZkjNinUUHqaRPFaCMxqQ

usually I use the 3mm width.

neil.
Back to top Go down
ben_tucka
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ben_tucka

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 am

nhp651 wrote:
this is the stuff I use.     

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-tack-red-super-sticky-double-sided-craft-tape-super-strong-3-6-9-12-25mm-/232150971307?var=&hash=item360d46b3abⓂm_GZkjNinUUHqaRPFaCMxqQ

usually I use the 3mm width.

neil.

Thank you now ordered Smile Just the old paint to continue sanding down for now. Im sure more questions will be asked later 

Thank you for your help

Regards
Ben.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 10:33 am

ask away any question you like, Ben.

do our best to answer.
Back to top Go down
ben_tucka
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ben_tucka

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 4:31 pm

nhp651 wrote:

do our best to answer.
how about how do I build a lifeboat without having to spend stupid money on a kit.  Very Happy

or a nice tug boat.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 7:21 pm

ben_tucka wrote:
nhp651 wrote:

do our best to answer.
how about how do I build a lifeboat without having to spend stupid money on a kitVery Happy

or a nice tug boat.

Buy a set of plans and scratch build it!! Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 8:05 pm

or buy a hull and cabins from models by design   , they have a good array of classic lifeboats plus some semi modern boats. you can buy fittings from them also or macs mouldings or modelslipway, and plans depending on which boat you choose from the RNLI Shop.

and any tips you need to build a lifeboat, look at the lifeboat section here as mike and myself have both put build logs on there re lifeboat builds.
Back to top Go down
ben_tucka
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ben_tucka

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks guys Smile 

Think its the Mersey Class I want to build as i believe thats the one at Filey station, Id never seen the plans in the shop but a little look at the RNLI online ive now got plans Smile 

this will be done After the
- Pilot boat refurb
- Racing Sparrow Rc Yacht
- Fast Electric Build
- RG65 RC Yacht
- Sea Scout
- RC Catamaran Yacht (maybe eventually Foiling)

Also WOW to the lifeboat builds (don't expect mine to be that detailed) they look amazing I really am in awe of your skills. And I'm getting impatient on sanding a Pilot boat cabin down (it has years of me trying to stick windows to remove)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strong Transparent windows   Strong Transparent windows Empty

Back to top Go down

Strong Transparent windows
Page 1 of 1