TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Model Slipway Rescue Boat

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Empty
PostSubject: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyWed Nov 09, 2016 7:10 pm

As I said in my Marina II log, because that model is quite involved I wanted something a bit more straightforward to provide a break from planking and detailed work. I bid on a Model Slipway vac formed Puffer kit, but it had been started and I wasn't prepared to pay too much not knowing how much had been done, and how well, so I lost it. A wanted ad. on Mayhem produced an almost untouched Rescue Boat. Only some trimming had been done, so its virtually new.

The rescue boat is actually a simplified Severn Class Lifeboat I believe. I built one many years ago now, but I can't really remember the details. I think I may build this a Pilot Boat, omitting some of the fittings. I have started trimming the hull and deck pieces, and also installing the rudder and propshaft. I think it is intended to use a 500 series motor, but the only one I have is rather power hungry, so will use an alternative. I am trying to build this without buying any further items - I have an ESC and servo. This means the motor mount will need to be modified. The photos show progress so far with temporary packing in place for the motor. The propshaft is only tacked with superglue.

Barrie

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0320 Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0321
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 9:44 am

This will be fun Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 2:06 pm

It's a simplified version of the Trent class Barrie.

The other small one that was done by Model Slipway is based on a Tamar. 

Mike
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 6:15 pm

Thanks Mike. Was never sure which one it was when I made the first. I still think I am likely to make it as a retired lifeboat in some other guise. I am sure I saw one in a TV documetary as a support or research vessel of some sort.

Today I did some more work removing excess plastic to get down the the correct line on the hull and deck - whilst waiting for glue to dry on my Marina II planking.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 2:47 pm

The hull and deck are now trimmed and fit more or less - will need some final tweaking when I'm ready to glue them together. I have changed my mind about the propshaft coupling.. I was going to use rubber tube, but the only piece I have is perished so I will use the coupling which came with the kit.
The propshaft has now been epoxied in place using P40. As I mixed too much, don't we always Rolling Eyes , I applied some around the motor mount.
I now need to make or find a suitable stand to protect the shaft.

Barrie

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0322
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyMon Nov 14, 2016 2:01 pm

I had a bit of a set back today. I thought I had all the electrical items that I needed for this build, but when I came to get them together to work out where to put them, I couldn't find an ESC bounce Mad
I have now ordered one and so as not to hold up the build will take one from another boat.

So my plan to build this with the bits and pieces I had in my spare box didn't survive the first test Mad Mad

Today I fixed the equipment tray and tested a servo ready for installation.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 7:40 am

Good start bud, I'm not a fan of vac formed hulls, having a few in the past they start to suffer from age and plastic fatigue but none the less if looked after will give you many years of enjoyment.

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 2:08 pm

I agree RR, but once they get some paint on they are less prone to suffer from UV. This one will probably go to my grandson anyway.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 7:18 am

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0335

I've almost finished the installation of the electrics. Just one connector short bounce to make a conversion lead from the battery to the ESC. The motor is held in place with Sugru. I may still have to change this as it is a windscreen washer motor and therefore designed to run on 12 volts. The attraction of it is a very low current on 6 volts, but it may not have enough revs. Once I get the connector I will be able to tidy up the wiring. 

Once I've done that I can move on to fixing the deck onto the hull.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 9:45 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 10:35 pm

I like the way the motor securing cleats hold it in...........better than my patented blutack method,

i'll remember that one.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 6:28 am

Not my idea Neil. This is the method shown in Model Slipway's instructions for this and other models. Not sure its needed here as the Sugru is holding the motor - I didn't expect that Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 2:04 pm

It looks as though this is on its way to Santa Klaus for the Grandson, so I will concentrate on this rather than Marina for a while.

The two halves of the cabin have now been cut out, trimmed and finally joined together. The rear section of the upper control station has also been trimmed and fitted into the main cabin - quite a tricky operation which I don't remember being as difficult the first time Shocked.

Quite a bit of filling required here. As its destined for Grandson I decided not to cut out and glaze the windows, but will use the vinyl shapes provided.

The hull and deck are not yet glued - again getting these to fit is more difficult than I remember, but its almost there - just the "flange" in a couple of places doesn't look quite right. Crying or Very sad

Next session the deck has to be made to fit the hull and glue has to be applied Rolling Eyes Shocked

Barrie

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0339 Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0337 Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0338 Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0336
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptySun Nov 27, 2016 2:33 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 1:39 pm

always fancied one of those to go with my 1;32 scale models, but sadly all gone now.........just my 1;12 lifeboats left
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 2:31 pm

The deck and hull have been joined Thumbup I need to do a little filling around the lip of the deck, but the filling on the cabin has been rubbed down and is now ready for painting.

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0341 Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0340

You will notice that I have changed the motor. I wasn't sure the original would be fast enough and I figured it was easier to change it before I stuck down the deck Very Happy. If this is too fast, then I will build and fit an Arduino based controller to reduce the maximum speed.
I have also fitted the switch. This is the switch from the ESC which I always assumed only switched off the electronics of the ESC, and didn't isolate the battery. So I did some testing, and it appears that for this particular ESC, it does isolate the battery Thumbup In any case the battery will be removed when it gets back to the workshop after each outing.

Next up is making up the stanchions. I am going to try and do this off the boat so I don't melt the plastic whilst soldering Rolling Eyes lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyWed Nov 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0342

This is the first section of railings. I set up a jig to make it easier. It was very cold in my workshop this morning, even with a 2Kw fan heater, so even this is not quite finished - it needs the joints checking, then cleaning up. Before making the other side, I will test fit this one to make sure the jig is correct.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 2:31 pm

Three sections of railings now completed and test fitted to the hull. They are not yet fixed.

Barrie

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0343
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 6:58 pm

superb looking excellent.
2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 8:12 pm

Nice work ThumbupThumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptySat Dec 03, 2016 11:57 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyTue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 pm

The railings are now finished until I fit them to the boat when they will need joining up. I have marked the waterline - surprisingly easy - and painted the bottom. I started with a red/brown colour, but changed my mind, and its now had two coats of red Rolling Eyes.

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0344

Whilst waiting for the paint to dry, I have made the pulpit and started on the mast arrangement.

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0345

I plan to give it working lights - the nav lights, a searchlight and flashing blue on top of the mast. These will operate off a separate 6 volt battery held in the cabin.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyWed Dec 07, 2016 1:15 pm

I've done a bit more painting. Apologies to the Lifeboat experts if these are not exactly the correct colours, but they are what I have available Rolling Eyes. I think I've finished making all the bits of bent rod ready to paint and fit when the cabin paint is finished. I've also started painting the cast fittings, which just served to remind me of the superb quality of Model Slipways fittings - there was virtually no flash or holes on any of them.

Barrie

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0346
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyFri Dec 09, 2016 7:03 pm

More paint has been applied and the hull and cabin are now finished - onto the decks next so that I can start to fit the railings. Some of these have been painted. As you will see, the hull has its boot topping, and the cabin its vinyl windows. I had to re-make these as the ones supplied were stuck fast to the backing sheet, so I made new ones on my cutter Thumbup

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Img_2010

Last night I set out to design an Arduino controller to limit the maximum speed. This has been done on a bread board - I now have to build the actual circuit to go in the boat. I have only limited forward speed, controlled by a variable resistor, as reverse is already limited to 50% by the ESC.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 1:07 pm

I am making progress - but not much to see as there is a lot of waiting for paint and glue to dry. I have fitted LEDs to the nav lights, and a blue flasher to the top of the mast - unfortunately these only come in clear enclosures at the 5 mm size. I was planning to fit a searchlight as well, but |I'm not sure if I will manage that.
The rubber moulding has been fixed to the hull, just waiting for the glue to dry on the second side, then I can varnish the hull. The mast structure needs painting black, and a radar scanner making and fitting. The railings have been made and part painted ready for fitting and joining up, when the painting can be completed. I couldn't find any material for a stand so had to order some ply which arrived today.

Barrie

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0347
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 9:11 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 2:19 pm

The end is in sight 2thumbsup 2thumbsup The boat has been varnished - two coats of gloss on all except the decks which will get a coat of matt. The railings are installed, connected up and painted. I have cut the two end pieces for the stand, just need to drill them and fit some dowelling to join them (actually old wooden knitting needles). The searchlight and horn have been ordered. Probably the next job is to wire up the lights. These will operate off 2 coin batteries in the cabin. I also have to cut out and fit the windscreen which could be tricky.

Barrie

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0348
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 11:25 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup  Your Grandson will be tickled pink Barrie or have you decided to keep it?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 7:22 am

No Damien - its going to Santa. That's the reason for the hurry to finish it. In fact I don't think its as good as the first one I made about 15 years ago - too much rushing to get it finished. Mad

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 7:43 am

He'll still be real pleased to sail with Pop, Grandpa or what ever he calls you mate.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Well its finished apart from a slight problem with static - its covered in bits which I cant remove Shocked bounce bounce bounce I guess I will have to give it a wash lol! It does need to go into the bath so that I can ballast it so maybe that will kill the static. 
I can't say I'm too happy with the quality of this build. I did try not to say "its only for Crosby", but it isn't one of my better ones as this picture of the wiring will show Shocked Shocked You may notice that there is no windscreen. When I came to cut and bend it the material was just too brittle and at the moment I don't have any suitable alternative. I also know that I will have to find at least one figure to suit the boss.

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0349

I am still building the little gadget that will allow me to decide the maximum speed - just a few more joints to solder.

Model Slipway Rescue Boat Dscn0350

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 9:31 pm

SANTA could bring that to me anyday......it's lovely barrie.......well done.
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Blimey, you finished that in record time. Nice build your grandson will be happy on Christmas Day santa . Now the tricky bit the rapping paper. lol!

Ian
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 11:36 pm

Nahhh make a cardboard box for it.

Ripper job Barrie the look on his face when he opens it will be a fantastic memory.
2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyWed Dec 21, 2016 7:02 am

Imcc wrote:
Blimey, you finished that in record time. Nice build your grandson will be happy on Christmas Day santa . Now the tricky bit the rapping paper. lol!

Ian
Yes - it wasn't intended to be so fast, but when it was earmarked as a Christmas Pressie, I didn't have a choice. In fact they are not too difficult to build as there are only four main pieces.
We are off to Aldi this morning so a few rolls of super cheap paper is called for I think lol!

Still got to get rid of the static though so I can clean it up.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Model Slipway Rescue Boat P1020210

Well, I think he was pleased, but it had some very stiff competition including Minecraft on an Xbox and lots of Lego. I still have to install the speed limiter, so it will be Sunday week before it goes to the lake ( New Years Day Concert on Sunday takes precedence Laughing Laughing Shocked

Maybe now I can get on with my own boat, although amongst his haul was a 3D jigsaw Titanic which I understand is my responsibility to build  Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Will it float n sail with some good glue lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 9:41 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Model Slipway Rescue Boat   Model Slipway Rescue Boat Empty

Back to top Go down

Model Slipway Rescue Boat
Page 1 of 1