TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Space saver tool rack.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Space saver tool rack. Empty
PostSubject: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 8:59 am

While going stir crazy with winter temps of around 5c to 7c each day I had an idea for a a revolving magnetic tool rack using 200mm bars designed for kitchen knives 3 triangles with 200mm sides are drawn ready to cut.

I bought some 25mm id PVC steam pipe and 2 - 25mm id bearings then I found an anomaly in sizing of plumbing pipes & fittings A 25mm id steam pipe is actually 30mm id and 33mm od a 25mm pipe to thread fitting was turned to 25mm to fit a bearing as in pic. I cut a piece of the pipe approximately 130mm and slit it length wise with a Dremel saw and filled it 2/3rd with panel beaters filler a piece of 9mm dowel pushed into the filler adds rigidity. The split allows the filler to be removed with a screwdriver forcing it opening a 45mm piece of it was machined to 25mm to fit the top bearing.   
The remainder will be used as a joiner for the length and a bit needed.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4191_zpsl0pknmms

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4192_zps1swhselc

The 3 triangles will be spaced 170mm apart to allow all types of tools to be used on the tree.

Last edited by Damien on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 8:51 am

Triangles cut and trimmed first one sitting on it's positioning ring gives a better idea of where i'm going with this.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4193_zpsdxudoimh

A better view of the magnetic strips there will be 3 levels 175mm apart with 9 magnet strips. The bottom bearing pin and top support ring are glued with plumbers PVC glue.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4194_zpsi2zz5cnj

Last edited by Damien on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 9:51 am

I'm watching with interest Smile 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 9:52 am

I'm watching with interest Smile 2thumbsup

I guess it's double interest  Space saver tool rack. Rollonfloorlaughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 10:09 am

How much will the interest pay me? lol! lol! lol! lol!

Slow going only get an hour or so before my body heat dissipates only 7.5c today
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 8:02 am

Damien wrote:
How much will the interest pay me? lol! lol! lol! lol!
Depends how much you invest with me lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 8:18 am

Hmmmm nought I guess.  lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 7:14 am

I got a little bit done before my heater tripped the power board fuse .
got the 3 triangles mounted and aligned super glued in place.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4195_zpsvda8akd8

With a support ring for mounting all my G-clamps

Finished turning the upper bearing block and super glued it to the upper rail.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4196_zpsymtgtw1m

When the glue dried I spread body filler over the back surfaces then the laid 2 strips of 25mm f/glass tape and pressed it into the filler then added more filler on top I'll give it a day to harden fully before sanding to shape.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4197_zpsdgvyvrto

4pm and 3.5c Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 8:57 am

Trimmed and just fits under shed roof.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4198_zps7mybx55q

The trim was a bit untidy so I won't show it as it'll never be seen.

First coat of paint another tomorrow as it's so cold It'll take time to harden.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4201_zpsbwjyofg3

Fourth triangle added and a coat of sanding sealer applied.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4199_zps8fxv8toj
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 8:34 am

Paint dried and fitted 6 of the 9 magnet strips fitted.
Remaining 3 and bottom bearing still to arrive from Hong Kong. 

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4202_zps215raypr
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 8:57 am

Ingenious!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 9:18 am

Thanks Barrie.  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptySat Jul 30, 2016 8:15 am

Finished and works so smoothly I'm really pleased with it, I've purchase a 1210mm X610mm sheet of clear acrylic to separate the lathe from the main work/tools area.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4221_zpslwmr8acd

it will now hold all the smaller tools with the larger on the larger magnetic strips.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4222_zpsswzuksa7
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptySat Jul 30, 2016 8:50 am

Very neat Damien  2thumbsup  I like it and the magnets on the wall too, you're giving me ideas 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptySat Jul 30, 2016 8:50 am

Very neat Damien  2thumbsup  I like it and the magnets on the wall too, you're giving me ideas 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptySat Jul 30, 2016 8:52 am

In fact I liked it that much I had to do a double post LOL (not sure how that happened)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptySat Jul 30, 2016 8:54 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thanks Paul.
Back to top Go down
Just add water
Gunner
Gunner
Just add water

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptySun Jul 31, 2016 5:17 pm

I wish I had that many tools scratch Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 3:02 am

Accumulated over too many years to think about started as a technician in training with Aussie gov't PMG in 1969 and only disposed of stuff to upgrade or it wore out.
From our pensions we each get $35au weekly for ourselves now we don't have a car,  so if I see something useful or makes life easier I buy it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 10:22 am

Also added a 120cm x 61cm x 3mm sheet of acrylic to cut dust covering the lathe clear to allow the light through it.Space saver tool rack. DSCF4226_zpspj5f2c4t

A 10mm x 5mm strip of marine ply was added each side to take most of the wobble out of it seen as green edges.

Space saver tool rack. DSCF4225_zpsxdjgmg8i

Now complete.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 11:06 am

I've added a fourth triangle of magnets above the others.

Space saver tool rack. Img_0613
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyWed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 am

I've started on a second one, I've rearranged the right angle corner where the 2 benches meet and moved the storage for the plastic parts boxes  to the left somewhat behind the belt/disc sander & the wood rack for 2 draws,3 types of thinners & glues.
hardest part was leaning across 60cm bench to drill holes for cable ties to tie power cable neatly out of the way.

The first one was a bit of overkill I've ordered 1mt of 8mm  threaded rod , some 90 deg angle brackets nuts washers etc.

Purchased 12 x 200mm magnet strips, 1 x 2Pcs 8mm Bore Diameter Pillow Block Bearing and nuts, washers etc.

I cut the 4 - 200mm triangles from scrap MDF drilled the 8mm centre holes got one coated with the last of my sanding sealer so used dope for the other three.

I'll get pics of the re-arrangement and subsequent mess tomorrow lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyThu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 am

Recovered after the bend and stretch reaching over the bench to relocate and screw the parts bin rack it only took 2 Tramadol pain killers and a nights sleep.

Excuse the mess construction in progress.

this first pic the green 2 draw was moved left from against the right wall.

Space saver tool rack. Rotate10

Almost against the Radio/2gb song storage player.

Space saver tool rack. Rotate11

The 4 triangles painted on one side and edges will do other side tomorrow.

Space saver tool rack. Rotate12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyWed Nov 21, 2018 7:29 am

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr learned a lesson today.

The 20mm long 8mm nuts I bought were too tight a fit on the 8mm x 1 metre galvanised threaded rod so I spent this arvo running an 8mm tap to the halfway point by hand, doubt I'll get to shed tomorrow off to Doc's for injection in butt of testosterone thick stuff big diameter needle not pleasant but needed to survive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyThu Nov 22, 2018 8:29 am

The colour difference left is the side I threaded yesterday the right is the hassle I had to deal with today after about 10mm it became very hard to turn the die & handle the die wasn't clogged as I clear it with compressed air every few turns and turn it backwards after each 3 or 4 turns, prior to starting I spray the thread with Lithium grease for lubrication however after a few turns today it seemed to lock up to the point I tightened the vice it was sitting horizontally in, next half turn it locked up solid with the die jammed at about the 505mm point.
I'm thinking the galvanising may have been thicker at that point.
Will try again tomorrow to unscrew the Die.

Space saver tool rack. Img_1150

I then started on fitting the magnetic stripd to the triangles, the MDF didn't like the screws going in the 230mm edge so I filled each crace with super glue prior to fitting the next mag strip.

Space saver tool rack. Img_1148

Space saver tool rack. Img_1151

Space saver tool rack. Img_1149
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyFri Nov 23, 2018 10:13 am

I managed to free the die and got another 100mm of thread trimmed and it locked up again obviously the galvanising is faulty I freed the die and put the rod it to the side, and ordered another in Stainless steel thinking it'll be less flexible and hopefully better quality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2018 4:01 am

Finished and in place the least used tools will be on this one, there's room for shelves for oft used thinners storage, drat another project shelves to store them on. 

Space saver tool rack. Img_1110
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. EmptyFri Nov 30, 2018 4:19 am

Finished and in place the least used tools will be on this one, there's room for shelves for oft used thinners storage drat, another project shelves to store them on. 

Space saver tool rack. Img_1110
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space saver tool rack.   Space saver tool rack. Empty

Back to top Go down

Space saver tool rack.
Page 1 of 1